Not open for further replies.

JoePats

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Per Reiss...

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Rivers set for pre-draft visit
Link|Comments (1) Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff March 28, 2008 06:32 AM
The Patriots are scheduled to host Southern California linebacker Keith Rivers on a pre-draft visit at Gillette Stadium. Rivers, who is expected to be picked in the first round, is set to come to town in the second week of April.

At 6-foot-2, 241 pounds, Rivers projects to inside linebacker in the Patriots' 3-4 defense, a position that has been a challenge to fill with young talent.

Rivers played four seasons at USC, the last three as a starter. He finished his career with 240 career tackles, playing mostly at outside linebacker in a 4-3 set.

Linebacker is one of the Patriots' top need areas, with two of their top five players from 2007 -- Rosevelt Colvin and Junior Seau -- currently free agents.

NFL teams are allowed up to 30 in-house visits with prospects. The visits do not include workouts, so they are essentially final interviews and medical checks.

The Patriots are also scheduled to host Virginia Tech CB Brandon Flowers, Iowa DB Charles Godfrey, USC CB Terrell Thomas and Georgia Tech DE/LB Darrell Robertson.

He'd fill a need. But as I said in another thread, we have no idea where AD's primary position will be, if we'll pursue Seward, Spikes or retain Seau...only BB/Pioli knows the answers to these things, and they may largely inform the first round decisions.

You gotta think that if they can't get good value for #7, they should take Rivers. That dude can play ball, and it's about time we get an inside linebacker with some first step explosion...

Just don't ask him for help on your Geometry exam

Don't think he could master running this defense.

You gotta think that if they can't get good value for #7, they should take Rivers. That dude can play ball, and it's about time we get an inside linebacker with some first step explosion...

What's the matter, you don't want the 39 year old Junior Seau and his 6.0 40-yard dash speed anymore?

All the LB prospects they're looking at makes my head spin, I dunno where they're going. that said, I'm glad they've done a **** load of home work and it looks like they're focused on the defensive side of the ball in the draft. I wouldn't mind a young stud ILB, if they think rivers can do it. That said, how many people think a rookie will come in and run this defense effectively?

All the LB prospects they're looking at makes my head spin, I dunno where they're going. that said, I'm glad they've done a **** load of home work and it looks like they're focused on the defensive side of the ball in the draft. I wouldn't mind a young stud ILB, if they think rivers can do it. That said, how many people think a rookie will come in and run this defense effectively?

Bruschi's still on the team, right?

AD was lined up at ILB for a large portion of the season, and while he was an NFL vet, it was stil his first year in NE's system. Obviously it was easier for him to make the adjustment (with his prior experience in the league), but he wasn't asked to "run the defense", either. So, I don't think you would have to worry about NE's asking a rookie LB to "man the wheel".

Rivers or any other first year LB would likely rotate with a vet to begin his career.

Last edited:
At 240 he's 30 pounds lighter than AD. I don't know if that makes for a viable ILB in the Pats' system unless they view him as a flexible ILB/OLB hybrid. Even then he's giving up 20 to 25 pounds to players like Groves, Gholston and Harvey. I just don't see Rivers as a physical linebacker option for this team. You have to be big and tough to play LB for the Pats.

Last edited:
At 240 he's 30 pounds lighter than AD. I don't know if that makes for a viable ILB in the Pats' system unless they view him as a flexible ILB/OLB hybrid. Even then he's giving up 20 to 25 pounds to players like Groves, Gholston and Harvey. I just don't see Rivers as a physical linebacker option for this team. You have to be big and tough to play LB for the Pats.

Good point, but we must remember that Thomas is a freak, physically. Not many LB's are that big and that fast. With another year under his belt in BB's system I expect big things from Thomas.

That being said, I could see Rivers being drafted by the Pats if they traded down. SOmetimes, football smarts and Wonderlic scores are two different animals.

Bruschi's 6'1" and 245lbs. Oscar Lua was also around that same size. Rivers came in at 6'2" and 241lbs at the Combine. He's also got some room on his frame for additional weight. So, I don't think his size would be an issue. Also, AD's really more of an OLB, who can play ILB.

Last edited:
Bruschi's 6'1" and 245lbs. Oscar Lua was also around that same size. Rivers came in at 6'2" and 241lbs at the Combine. He's also got some room on his frame for additional weight. So, I don't think his size would be an issue. Also, AD's really more of an OLB, who can play ILB.

I dunno bout you but im sick of hearing people say unless a Lb is 265lbs that hes too small to play in our system, Bruschi without pads looks like a regular sized guy, look what David Harris did for the Jets last year hes not that big 6'2 243 imagine the damage he would do behind our d line. Im just sick of all this too small crap man its annoying. BTW its not a shot at you apple so plz dont take it that way...

Last edited:
It wouldn't be by favorite pick at #7, but he would instantly help in pass coverage. Watching Bruschi or Seau in space is a little painful. He could play on 3rd downs, special teams and passing situations in year 1. Gain some more bulk and become a 3 down player in year 2.

I am very concerned about his ability to hold the weight, he was 236 at the senior bowl and then 242 at the combine. The USC proday is April 2, some additional data will be useful.

Bruschi's still on the team, right?

AD was lined up at ILB for a large portion of the season, and while he was an NFL vet, it was stil his first year in NE's system. Obviously it was easier for him to make the adjustment (with his prior experience in the league), but he wasn't asked to "run the defense", either. So, I don't think you would have to worry about NE's asking a rookie LB to "man the wheel".

Rivers or any other first year LB would likely rotate with a vet to begin his career.

Which makes me wonder why they'd take him over a guy like Gholston, but what do I know. Maybe I'm reading to much into this but BB is interested in Rivers. I just always figured if BB ever would draft a rookie LB it would be an OLB.

It seems that the obvious needs in an OLB are a quick first step and an elusive rush, but an ILB has to have different qualities that may be harder to spot. A SILB like AD needs to take on guards then release for the tackle, and to cover big TEs. A WILB should be lighter and more agile and can, like Bruschi, evade blocks and hide behind the DTs rather than taking on guards directly, then sift through the trash for the tackle. Bruschi is one of the best at that and it mitigates his 'smaller' size.

An additional requirement, and what the Pats don't have right now, is for a fast agile WILB who can cover WRs and scat backs on short patterns across the middle. The '07 Eagles game particularly showed a weakness there. This is where a guy like Rivers could make a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back