PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keith Rivers runs a 4.58 forty at pro day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

slash83

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
http://rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

NFL Network's Mike Mayock reports USC LB Keith Rivers ran a 4.58 forty at his Pro Day Wednesday.

Mayock said Rivers "almost hit the ceiling" of the USC weight room with his 42" vertical. Rivers will likely be limited to the weak side in an NFL 4-3, but should be an impact player regardless. He's a certain first-round pick.

I'd certainly take him over Rodgers-Cromartie or Clady, both of whom I don't like seeing being our picks in mocks.

From what I heard from someone who attended USC's Pro Day, Rivers ran a 4.51 on his first try. Maybe it wasn't official.

Backup LB Thomas Williams ran a 4.8 on his second try, but the first result wasn't announced. Chauncey Washington struggled on his first try, but got under 4.4 on his second. The lesser-known RBs struggled as well. Fred Davis and backup TE Dale Thompson hit 4.7s. Terrell Thomas didn't get under 4.4. Also, Booty, Rachal, Radovich and Lawrence Jackson didn't run.

I'd certainly take him over Rodgers-Cromartie or Clady, both of whom I don't like seeing being our picks in mocks.

Disagree. Rivers is not worth the #7 overall pick. I'd rather have Clady, Groves, or a top CB over Rivers.

I'm almost certain we won't take Clady after his paltry Wonderlic score. I'm unaware of how much contact the Patriots have had with Groves, although I tend to see him as a low first rounder on most rankings/mocks (#30 on Countdown, #27 on Draft Scout, and not on Kiper's top 25), so it's kind of confusing when you say Rivers isn't worth #7 (who is #9, #9, and #17 respectively on those three sites).

Last edited:
Disagree. Rivers is not worth the #7 overall pick. I'd rather have Clady, Groves, or a top CB over Rivers.

Rivers at his position is better than any of the CBs at their position with Pick No. 7. He might actually be the best value at that point depending on who is available.

Rivers at his position is better than any of the CBs at their position with Pick No. 7. He might actually be the best value at that point depending on who is available.

Again, DISAGREE. Rivers is projected to a 4-3 OLB. In the Pats system he would be an undersized conversion project to ILB. You don't draft ILBs in the 1st round unless their name is Brian Urlacher or Patrick Willis. I don't see any indications that Rivers is that caliber of player.

http://www.mymockdraft.com/1408/PlayerDetail.aspx

Plays out of control at times...Doesn't take on or shed blockers all that well...Is not stout and can be run at...Needs to keep his pad level down...A playmaker in coverage?..Goes for the knockout rather than wrapping up.

I'm not going to even go into the weight but his inability to shed blocks, and the fact that he doesn't make fundamental wrap up tackles almost automatically disqualifies him as a Patriot type of inside linebacker.

The majority of NFL linebackers are found in UDFA. The second largest source is the THIRD round. Unless you have the chance to draft a blue chip can't miss linebacker or stud pass rusher, you don't take a linebacker with a 1st round pick. Since Rivers does not look like a can't miss prospect NOR a pass rusher, I don't see any reason for the Patriots to take him at #7. In fact it would be squandering pick value. Taking Rivers only makes sense if the Pats trade down to the low 20's.

Again, DISAGREE. Rivers is projected to a 4-3 OLB. In the Pats system he would be an undersized conversion project to ILB. You don't draft ILBs in the 1st round unless their name is Brian Urlacher or Patrick Willis. I don't see any indications that Rivers is that caliber of player.

Plays out of control at times...Doesn't take on or shed blockers all that well...Is not stout and can be run at...Needs to keep his pad level down...A playmaker in coverage?..Goes for the knockout rather than wrapping up.

I'm not going to even go into the weight but his inability to shed blocks, and the fact that he doesn't make fundamental wrap up tackles almost automatically disqualifies him as a Patriot type of inside linebacker.

The majority of NFL linebackers are found in UDFA. The second largest source is the THIRD round. Unless you have the chance to draft a blue chip can't miss linebacker or stud pass rusher, you don't take a linebacker with a 1st round pick. Since Rivers does not look like a can't miss prospect NOR a pass rusher, I don't see any reason for the Patriots to take him at #7. In fact it would be squandering pick value. Taking Rivers only makes sense if the Pats trade down to the low 20's.
I would disagree that Rivers can't shed blocks... read below.

Why Belichick Doesn't Draft a LB on Day One

and

Keith Rivers Insider Draft Info

Specifically-
"Will make some big hits due to his short area explosiveness. Uses hands well to keep off of blocks. He refuses to stay blocked. Takes excellent angles in pursuit. Displays good range in zone coverage. Also is an underrated pass rusher. Has developed a better array of pass rush moves, hugs the rail as he turns the corner as an outside rusher and displays surprising closing burst to the QB. Knows how to jar the ball loose and generates more than his share of forced fumbles. Plays with a very good motor and will wear blockers down. Never gives up on a play and will show tremendous effort when pursuing from the backside. He's always flying around the field. Leads by example.

I'm not going into detail concerning anything else in your post (I don't have the time), but I will say that Rivers isn't undersized. He's 6'2.2" and already weighs 241lbs. That's about 4lbs lighter than Bruschi, and he's got about an inch on Bruschi in the height department, with room on his frame to add more weight. So, his size shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
I'm not going into detail concerning anything else in your post (I don't have the time), but I will say that Rivers isn't undersized. He's 6'2.2" and already weighs 241lbs. That's about 4lbs lighter than Bruschi, and he's got about an inch on Bruschi in the height department, with room on his frame to add more weight. So, his size shouldn't be an issue.

Did Rivers still weigh 242 yesterday, and did he lift?

If he weighed > 240, that might be a good sign that he can hold the extra weight.

All of his other #s are positive. If the weight/strength #s hold steady, then the rest of the eval process becomes film study/scouting. There is obviously a lot of debate about his ability to become an effective, if not #7 overall-worthy, 3-4 WILB for the NEP.

P.S.: Didn't Bruschi weigh closer to 250 when he was drafted, due to his playing 4-3 DE at Arizona?

I'm almost certain we won't take Clady after his paltry Wonderlic score. I'm unaware of how much contact the Patriots have had with Groves, although I tend to see him as a low first rounder on most rankings/mocks (#30 on Countdown, #27 on Draft Scout, and not on Kiper's top 25), so it's kind of confusing when you say Rivers isn't worth #7 (who is #9, #9, and #17 respectively on those three sites).

Didn't Rivers score particularly low on the Wonderlic as well?

Put me in the "not worth it" camp. I'm also curious as to how much the presence of guys like Maulauga, Cushing, and Jackson (among others) made him look better than he is. That really was a stacked defense.

Rivers can't tackle and doesn't fit our system. Groves is higher on our draft board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes