pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=3415349

Defensive lines a measure for playoff success
By Keith Kidd
Scouts Inc.

Updated: May 29, 2008

During my time as a scout in New England, head coach Bill Belichick told me that the defensive line is the place to start when studying teams that are potential playoff contenders. Belichick's contention is that the teams with the best defensive lines will be the ones with something to play for late in the season.

Why? Because the ability to control the line of scrimmage, stop the run and generate a pass rush with the front four allows a defense to give the opposing offense a lot of different coverage looks and to limit both the run and the pass.

3. New England Patriots

The Patriots rely on multiple defense fronts that allow them to exploit mismatches along the interior, especially in running situations or against teams with effective running games. The Patriots have one of the most talented lines in the league led by LDE Ty Warren, NT Vince Wilfork and RDE Richard Seymour. Wilfork is one of the best nose tackles in the game because of his combination of size and quickness, and Warren has all the dominating traits you look for in a defensive lineman. Seymour was hindered somewhat by injuries last season but when healthy is still one of the most dominating linemen in the NFL. Backup DE Jarvis Green could easily start for a lot of other teams and gives New England the ability to mix in four-man fronts.

The Giants and Vikings are #1 and #2, respectively. The Chargers and Ravens round out the top 5.

Last edited:
I think you have to look at a guy like Mike Wright as well. He has played the nose and end in the 3-4 and has grown into a key reserve.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to consider the top OLB pass rusher too, where we haven't been exceptional since McGinest left.

Vrabel fills the role well and is a fine all around linebacker. A.D. has been stuck in the middle, which I don't see in the future.

Either way, that linebacker is our equivalent of a Strahan type DE because all our lineman are tackles.

After the retirement of Strahan, does the Giants' line deserve to be ahead of the Patriots or Ravens?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back