Keeping an Eye on Robert Quinn

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
By: Derek Havens

Mike Reiss of the Boston Globe reported this morning that the two sides haven't made any progress, and it appears that things may be taking a turn for the worst....

Hmmmm, call me a stickler for accuracy, but why would a blog posted on Mar 31 contain this blurb?

The NFL combine event will be held Thursday, Feb. 24 through March 1st at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. Patriots nation will hold its collective breath in anticipation until then.

Hmmmm, call me a stickler for accuracy, but why would a blog posted on Mar 31 contain this blurb?

The NFL combine event will be held Thursday, Feb. 24 through March 1st at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. Patriots nation will hold its collective breath in anticipation until then.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By: Derek Havens

Mike Reiss of the Boston Globe reported this morning that the two sides haven't made any progress, and it appears that things may be taking a turn for the worst....
I am still trying to figure out What Reiss has to do with this and what the two sides cant agree on.

Is Quinn really 260? Or is that another inaccuracy in this article?
For what its worth, count me out for drafting someone who was suspended for the entire 2010 season.
Character means even more when you get closer to the top of the draft.

Did he even deserve to be suspended for a year though? If he was in that corrupt conference known as the $EC it probably would've been a game.

Is Quinn really 260? Or is that another inaccuracy in this article?
For what its worth, count me out for drafting someone who was suspended for the entire 2010 season.
Character means even more when you get closer to the top of the draft.

It's not as if he committed a major crime.

If we're going by Character problems, there's players on the roster that shouldn't be here.

It's not as if he committed a major crime.

If we're going by Character problems, there's players on the roster that shouldn't be here.

He received unallowed travel and jewelry and lied to investigators.
So he played 2 years of college hasnt played in a year, has himself to blame, and we want to risk a high pick on him? Why? Its not like there arent other good football players who will be on the board that lack baggage and this level of risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
robert quinn ain't going to happen unless we trade up.

Could Quinn be this year's Gronkowski? Granted they both missed their last year of college for different reasons, but both could fall because of missing a year. But I guess Quinn has his own question marks health-wise since he has already had a brain tumor in high school. But if he can really be the next DeMarcus Ware, how do you pass on the guy if he somehow falls to 17 or at least enough for the Pats to trade up.

I don't think he will, but who knows. I never thought Vince Wilfork would drop out of the top 10 or early teens for the Pats to draft him either.

Could Quinn be this year's Gronkowski? Granted they both missed their last year of college for different reasons, but both could fall because of missing a year. But I guess Quinn has his own question marks health-wise since he has already had a brain tumor in high school. But if he can really be the next DeMarcus Ware, how do you pass on the guy if he somehow falls to 17 or at least enough for the Pats to trade up.

I don't think he will, but who knows. I never thought Vince Wilfork would drop out of the top 10 or early teens for the Pats to draft him either.
He coud be the next DeMarcus Ware but he could also be the next Vernon Gholston.
The risk of the later is to much for me, however my assessment of the risk has a tiny % of the information that BB will have at his disposal.

He coud be the next DeMarcus Ware but he could also be the next Vernon Gholston.
The risk of the later is to much for me, however my assessment of the risk has a tiny % of the information that BB will have at his disposal.

I am no draft expert. In fact, I am pretty weak in this area. But I think a Quinn/Gholston comparison isn't accurate. Gholston was a late first round/early second round prospect with some significant question marks (he took plays off, didn't have great technique, questions about his passion for football) who had an ungodly good combine which shot him up the charts. Quinn is a top of the draft prospect for production. Many feel if he wasn't suspended for 2010, he might have been the best player in the draft. His really only significant question marks (which are fairly significant) are how will the year off affect him and his past health issues. He may never live up to the hype, but he is a safer bet than Gholston was since Gholston hype came from what he did at the combines more than what he did on the field.

I am no draft expert. In fact, I am pretty weak in this area. But I think a Quinn/Gholston comparison isn't accurate. Gholston was a late first round/early second round prospect with some significant question marks (he took plays off, didn't have great technique, questions about his passion for football) who had an ungodly good combine which shot him up the charts. Quinn is a top of the draft prospect for production. Many feel if he wasn't suspended for 2010, he might have been the best player in the draft. His really only significant question marks (which are fairly significant) are how will the year off affect him and his past health issues. He may never live up to the hype, but he is a safer bet than Gholston was since Gholston hype came from what he did at the combines more than what he did on the field.

Ben Watson had outstanding combine #s.
In contrast, Bruschi was an undersized prospect with great production

IMO there are plenty of really good pass rushers in the draft including cameron jordan, jj watt - there should be a pass rusher of quality available at 17. plus we need to address OL in the baddest way. I would be much happier to have JJ Watt/jordan, Mike Pouncey and Mikel Leshoure than have to give up one of our 1-3 round picks to trade up. of course we wouldn't have this problem if we had taken clay matthews...

Last edited:
If we had taken Clay Matthews we wouldnt have Gronk, Hernandez and a few other guys either. Its a double edged sword.

Well, Gronk had had back surgery and I think there was some doubt as to whether he would play at his previously higher level, and he was never thought of as first round talent. Meanwhile, brain tumors are nothing to mess around with for sure, but you can have them and still play, although you wouldn't want too many hits to the head for sure. So I wouldn't think Quinn would drop too far.

But mostly I wanted to post to recall that magical day when Big Vince slid all the way down to us. I didn't even think Pioli and Belichek would take him but they did.

Well, Gronk had had back surgery and I think there was some doubt as to whether he would play at his previously higher level, and he was never thought of as first round talent. Meanwhile, brain tumors are nothing to mess around with for sure, but you can have them and still play, although you wouldn't want too many hits to the head for sure. So I wouldn't think Quinn would drop too far.

But mostly I wanted to post to recall that magical day when Big Vince slid all the way down to us. I didn't even think Pioli and Belichek would take him but they did.

Thats's not true but I agree with the rest of your assesment.

Coming off back surgery is tough to and many cases people are lucky to come back at all, let alone at 100%.

A brain tumor won't directly affect a player's ability but there is always the threat of "complications" that could end his career....that probably won't drop his stock too much, if any.

Last edited:
The DE we draft needs to be an edge sealer ... we do not have one. Can Quinn seal the edge ... if not then he's not coming here ... he seems a bit light to be an edge sealer I would think Watt is the better choice for what we need. We had Wilfork sealing the edge ... that's all one needs to know about what we need.

Last edited:
Thats not really accurate. Gholston had a great career at OSU, much more productive than Quinn has been. Gholston was already rated very high after owning Long in the OSU-Michigan game after no one had done a thing against him all year.
Yes, his combine got him a lot of attention, but no way at all he was a late 1st, early 2nd before that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back