PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

keeping 5 RBs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
MDPATSFAN said:
I'll go $20. The Faulk experiment is over. BB probably winces every time he touches the ball. I know I do as well as most of slammers of my post....deep down inside we all know the ball is coming out every 25 carries or so. Error free football is BB's religion and purges must be made occasionally.

You can kiss that $20 goodbye. Faulk isn't going anywhere this year.

What's so controversial about 5 RBs that we're looking for someone to cut? Reports from TC are that the O has been running a lot of two back sets. If that's the strategy, 5 RB/FBs sounds just about right.

rookBoston said:
You can kiss that $20 goodbye. Faulk isn't going anywhere this year.

What's so controversial about 5 RBs that we're looking for someone to cut? Reports from TC are that the O has been running a lot of two back sets. If that's the strategy, 5 RB/FBs sounds just about right.
I agree..if they are running two back sets..5 is the number..they have done little of that in past years, so 4 was more the norm..or even 3...(yikes!!) With injuries at WR, they have had to stretch it to 6..as well as STs playing a part.
I think it will be interesting to see how it all plays out in camp.

patsox23 said:
Okay, so to be clear: I am betting you $20 that Kevin Faulk does not get cut by the Patriots - that he MAKES the 53-man roster? Deal? (Please say yes.)

You got it.....

I don't understand the emotional attachment to this guy...For a second round pick he should have been a stud for us. His production has been mediocre at best without considering the massive liability from his fumble rate.

A running back that can't hold onto the ball is like a defensive player who can't tackle....Tits on a bull.

patsox23 said:
Corey, Maroney, Faulk, Pass, Mills -

That is a very solid group. I'd be fine with that.

I agree that all 5 should make the team. I just disagree that Mills can be called a RB in any way, shape, or form. The guy didn't have 1 carry in his entire college career. And if for some reason 3 out of Dillon, Faulk, Pass, and Maroney couldn't play, I seriously doubt Mills would be the backup RB.

I would cal him at TE and have no problems saying we're carrying 4 TEs. But if you don't like that, call Mills a core ST player. Whatever you call him, I think he's sure to make the team, sure to play ST, sire to play TE, and will probably spend a little bit of time as a FB or even a 3rd down back.

No way Faulk gets cut. He is just too valuable on 3rd down.

PhilD said:
I think the flexibility of Mills means you can see that group as 4.5. Though if we were to carry 4, you'd have to say that it was Pass who was on the bubble. I don't think he is though, I say we carry these 5 into the season. Sorry Heath!

If Mills can block I could see Pass on the bubble quite easily.

IMO, the deal with Faulk is that he IS BETTER then Pass or Evans, within the current system, as a third down back. He makes the team, but they try not to 'feature' him as much now that they have two potential stud running backs ahead of him.

Faulk always does great as a back-up and makes timely 1st down conversions, but he always sucks in a 'primary' role. He can fumble once in 25 carries as long as he gets only 49 carries in a year.

Willie55 said:
No way Faulk gets cut. He is just too valuable on 3rd down.

I gotta agree. The Pats are the best screen team in the NFL, and Faulk or the TEs are usually the targets. Faulk makes it a dangerous threat.

Last edited by a moderator:
5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Faulk always does great as a back-up and makes timely 1st down conversions, but he always sucks in a 'primary' role. He can fumble once in 25 carries as long as he gets only 49 carries in a year.
And..when they had him as feature back..that is what happened..early on in his career..but as a 3rd down back HE may be the best in the league...as far as Mills goes, he'll be used at FB..and TE on occasion. Not sure exactly what role it will be, but he is fine!!! If they keep the 5, who would be inactive?? Pass?? The won't keep all 5 on the 43...

I don't get how any could think Faulk is in trouble.

The Pats didn't even bring in any competition for his role. The 3rd down back job requires the ability to catch the ball and make yards after the catch, run draws, split wide at times, and pick up blitzes. Even if you've forgotten how well he does it (see tape of 3rd title playoff run), how can you ignore that he is the only guy on the roster that fits the job description.

MDPATSFAN said:
You got it.....

I don't understand the emotional attachment to this guy...For a second round pick he should have been a stud for us. His production has been mediocre at best without considering the massive liability from his fumble rate.

I don't know what games you're watching, MD. "His production has been mediocre at best?" What??? The guy might have lower totals than you'd like but that's because he's used in pretty specific situations. Kevin Faulk, on a per-play basis, is one of THE most productive and valuable members of the offense.

I look forward to the $20.

patsox23 said:
Corey, Maroney, Faulk, Pass, Mills -

That is a very solid group. I'd be fine with that.

Right there with you --- I see it being these five, nobody more, nobody less.

patsox23 said:
I don't know what games you're watching, MD. "His production has been mediocre at best?" What??? The guy might have lower totals than you'd like but that's because he's used in pretty specific situations. Kevin Faulk, on a per-play basis, is one of THE most productive and valuable members of the offense.

I look forward to the $20.

Perhaps he is used so little due to the turnover risk...Kind of a chicken and the egg thing. Which comes first, the fumbles or the bench?

I like Faulk as a receiver or kick returner, but unless it's a draw, he is a mediocre runner. Last year he only averaged 2.8 YPC. I don't think he ever averaged more than 3.6 yards in a season. Pass on the other hand averaged 4.5 YPC and scored three TD's. Given a choice I would stick with Pass. If Maroney progresses as a receiver, I see no reason why he can't take over third down duties. I don't think Faulk will get cut, but I think this may be his last season with the Pats.

There is simply no way that the Patriots carry 5 RBs.

You HAVE to remember that you only have 53 slots and you need a certain number of players at each position.

This year there are a number of positions that are going to have some tough cuts - but more on that another time perhaps.

Over the last 3 seasons, as a sanity check, here are what the Pats carried at the start of each season:
2003 4-RB 3-TE 5-WR
2004 3-RB 3-TE 6-WR
2005 3-RB 3-TE 6-WR

You can see this year, especially with the WR corps not being very deep, that they might carry 5-WR and 7-RB/TE but NO MORE than 7-RB/TE.

It would be highly unusual for the Patriots to cut a 4th round pick (Mills).

So you likely have
3 RBs Dillon, Maroney, and ?? Faulk/Pass
3 TEs Watson, Graham, and Thomas
1 FB/TE (h-back) swing man Mills (an interesting excursion in Belichick versatility)

I have a feeling that instead of more fixed 2 RB sets per se, what you are going to see is more TE in motion - h-back ending up as a lead blocker from motion or even coming out of the motion as a receiver.

It looks like also a real and intriguing possibility that we see more of Watson in an f-back role where he will sometimes split out as a slot receiver ? Maybe Mill also ??

I think it is reasonable to say that Belichick's offense has a heavy double TE aspect. Do we look into the hazy crystal ball and see a hint of an even more varied TE element to the offense? It will be interesting to watch.

arrellbee said:
There is simply no way that the Patriots carry 5 RBs.

You HAVE to remember that you only have 53 slots and you need a certain number of players at each position.

This year there are a number of positions that are going to have some tough cuts - but more on that another time perhaps.

Over the last 3 seasons, as a sanity check, here are what the Pats carried at the start of each season:
2003 4-RB 3-TE 5-WR
2004 3-RB 3-TE 6-WR
2005 3-RB 3-TE 6-WR

You can see this year, especially with the WR corps not being very deep, that they might carry 5-WR and 7-RB/TE but NO MORE than 7-RB/TE.

It would be highly unusual for the Patriots to cut a 4th round pick (Mills).

So you likely have
3 RBs Dillon, Maroney, and ?? Faulk/Pass
3 TEs Watson, Graham, and Thomas
1 FB/TE (h-back) swing man Mills (an interesting excursion in Belichick versatility)

It looks like also a real and intriguing possibility that we see more of Watson in an f-back role where he will sometimes split out as a slot receiver ? Maybe Mill also ??
I think they could keep 5..one being the TE/FB Mills. No doubt Faulk makes the team..not even close with Pass. If they are planning to use a lot of 2 back offenses, they may keep an extra...it may come down to a RB like Pass or a WR..NOT SURE history rules....it may depend on the player. Last year, the 4th RB would have been Chapman, but I think they liked the 6th WR Davis better. It may not happen, but to say it definitely will not is folly.

MDPATSFAN said:
Perhaps he is used so little due to the turnover risk...Kind of a chicken and the egg thing. Which comes first, the fumbles or the bench?

You really need to stop posting on this topic. This is making you sound more ignorant than you probably are. This is a ludicrous point here.

Well it will likely come down to how Maroney and Dillon look in camp.

If Dillon still can pound the rock and Marroney can keep catching everything thrown his way, this time with pads on and people trying to hit him, then carrying 5 RB would be less then effective.

I suppose it also depends on how many LB and DBs left on the team. If we load up on either of these postions then the RB/TE slots will be too scarce to keep more then 7 combined and I think we are going in with all 4 TE.

If it comes down to it, I think Faulk would be the one that gets cut, for three reasons. 1. Pass seems to be faster 2. Faulk has been getting injured more lately, 3. Pass is younger. Now by no means is Pass a great RB, but Pass did run better then Faulk and Dillon when they were hurt and was able to be effective.

Pats726 said:
I think they could keep 5..one being the TE/FB Mills. No doubt Faulk makes the team..not even close with Pass. If they are planning to use a lot of 2 back offenses, they may keep an extra...it may come down to a RB like Pass or a WR..NOT SURE history rules....it may depend on the player. Last year, the 4th RB would have been Chapman, but I think they liked the 6th WR Davis better. It may not happen, but to say it definitely will not is folly.
I just think that, in the heat of the moment, no-one wants to see Faulk or Pass cut - and there are passionate fans for both of them. But the hard reality is that for every player extra you keep at one position, you have to carry one less at another position. So how would you make the tradeoff ??

23 players on offense:
QB 3 (no less)
WR 5 (no less and maybe they need to keep another to see who develops)
OL 8 (no less and 8 might be too thin)
RB 3
TE 3
h-back 1

I don't have too much trouble thinking they might carry only 5 WR altho that leaves you vulnerable to injury. If they were to sign another WR to make the 53 man roster (as a lot of fans are hoping), at 5 WR you have to give up all of your developmental players (you might be able hide Childress on practice squad or you might well lose him)

At times, Belichick will carry 24 on offense - but when he does, he uses the extra slot to carry 9 OL. And this year, if he keeps both rookies, he already has to cut an OL veteran AND ALL of Mruczkowski, Tucker, Roehl, Britt, and Yates to get down to 8. I suspect that he may well keep 9.

So where do you get the slot to keep 4 RB plus Mills ?? ?? ?? ??

I think the idea of Kevin Faulk is as asinine as it gets. I don't mean to be obstinate, but if anyone actually thinks Faulk is in any danger of getting cut, I just don't see how they can be a serious football fan. Not saying you're not a "real" fan or that we're not allowed to criticize or have our own opinions, etc... But it's in the same realm of crazy as the idea of the Patriots cutting Jarvis Green or Ty Warren.

There is NO WAY Faulk gets cut. What are you people SMOKING???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back