PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

keeping 5 RBs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Corey, Maroney, Faulk, Pass, Mills -

That is a very solid group. I'd be fine with that.

patsox23 said:
Corey, Maroney, Faulk, Pass, Mills -

That is a very solid group. I'd be fine with that.
I agree..but I wonder if they would keep 5...maybe 1 too many...I was thinking 4....

Last edited:
I think the flexibility of Mills means you can see that group as 4.5. Though if we were to carry 4, you'd have to say that it was Pass who was on the bubble. I don't think he is though, I say we carry these 5 into the season. Sorry Heath!

To do it, we need to consider where else they can help out - and where else BB can cut back:

Dillon - feature back until Maroney proves he can take the job over.

Faulk - still the best third down back; note the description of his acrobatic, one-handed catches in stories on the camp, he has been and could be the slot receiver using Pass as the third down back; PR/KR.

Pass - pretty decent utility back; good STs; he could be the slot receiver too, though I don't think his ability to seperate is what we'd like to see there; very good upfield blocker, but not as effective clearing a choked hole; KR.

Maroney - UNKNOWN, whoops, I may have said that too firmly. Potentially, he will take reps from Dillon and Faulk as the change of pace back; he could create some opportunities in a two back set with any of the other three; PR/KR/Gunner, he could be split out, I don't see him taking too many passing downs as the lone RB.

Mills - UNKNOWN, oops, did it again. My day-dream would be to see him pick up some of Givens' possession duties while learning the utility back role. STs, he could do very well there in time.

Evans - Okay power back, he may be improved with his second year in the offense; decent receiver; lousy blocker, he has lots of room to improve there; good STs.

Charles - missed all of NFLE and is still rehabbing, that makes it tough to see him winning a Practice Squad slot.

Cobbs - has an edge on the Practice Squad just from Charles' status.

Injuries are going to be determinate, here or elsewhere (trade bait). On Offense, there are two places where the club could trim to allow for RBs, OL and WR.

OL: Kaczur and Hochstein are the keys, the Pats could try to go with 8 OL instead of 9-10 to start the season. Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Britt, Kaczur, Hochstein, Gorin/Tucker/Mruczkowski/Yates, put two on the Practice Squad and one or two on IR and you've done the bare minimum with your talent pool.

WR: Go with five and use DBs & RBs on STs where you've used WRs. Branch, Brown, Caldwell, Jackson, Childress, two for Practice Squad, maybe a couple for IR, and there you go.

The Defense seems to be looking good with the standard seven DL. LB looks like the around 10. DBs will probably work out at 10 also.

RB looks like a strength, cut first on offense, then maybe at LB if you want to keep 5 RBs.

Going with 5 RBs is an easy call.

The difference is entirely on the makeup of the Special Teams, which will use Mills instead of Chatham, Andrews instead of Dwight and Moroney instead of Bethel/Hobbs.

The O/D split stays the same, but the nominal position of our ST players is different. On the 53-man, we'll carry one less LB and one less WR... one more RB and one more DB, over last year. That gives us full utilization of our depth chart, fits against our talent profile, too.

Last edited:
There is no need for six wide receivers, given the receiving capabilities of our tight ends.

I think last year's experience should influence their thinking - best to have 5.

Faulk goes...It's pretty much established that he can't hold onto the ball.

MDPATSFAN said:
I agree with the second half of your statement. IMHO his fumble (which IIRC was the first turnover of the game) was THE big momentum killer in last year's playoff loss to Denver.

HOWEVER, it has also been well-established that he is a very good third-down/change of pace back. Given a choice of keeping him or jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none Patrick Pass, I'd keep Faulk 10 times out of 10. Especially after seeing Pass throw the ball to the other team and grab his hammy last year.

MDPATSFAN said:

This is a short-sighted and superficial comment, IMO. Faulk is, in BB's words, "one of the most productive players on the team on a per-play basis." Yes, he has some trouble with fumbling. He has improved, but it's still an issue. Still and all, he's not going anywhere. He is a very important member of the offense.

patsox23 said:
This is a short-sighted and superficial comment, IMO. Faulk is, in BB's words, "one of the most productive players on the team on a per-play basis." Yes, he has some trouble with fumbling. He has improved, but it's still an issue. Still and all, he's not going anywhere. He is a very important member of the offense.
You're right. He's not going anywhere this year.

mgteich said:
There is no need for six wide receivers, given the receiving capabilities of our tight ends.

I agree... 5 WRs... Branch, Jackson, Caldwell, Brown and Bam.

As far as 5 RBs, Pass and Mills might be vying for one spot, but I think you can keep both, especially if Mills or other players show they can add value at special teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mills is being used as a tight end in camp, from what I have read. I don't believe that he is strictly in the running back chart. If so, he will easily replace Pass if he shows something positive. Like catch the ball more than he has so far.

Pass is way ready to be cut, Faulk won't get cut, he'll get another year of ball control exercises in practice. If Mills starts looking like all the hype coming out of college, I think Evans and Pass will compete. Pass is just not that good at most things.

You really BB is going to accept another year of drinking pepto waiting for the drills to work? He had 4 fumbles in 65 rushes last year. Unacceptable for an NFL Running Back. We'll see what happens....

MDPATSFAN said:
You really BB is going to accept another year of drinking pepto waiting for the drills to work? He had 4 fumbles in 65 rushes last year. Unacceptable for an NFL Running Back. We'll see what happens....

How about this - I'll bet you a BILLION dollars that Kevin Faulk doesn't get cut. I will swear before everyone on this board that I will pay you that billiob dollars by Halloween if he does. That is how sure I am of Kevin Faulk's place on tihs team. He is as much a lock to make the team as I am NOT to.

You really got a $Billion?!

I'll go $20. The Faulk experiment is over. BB probably winces every time he touches the ball. I know I do as well as most of slammers of my post....deep down inside we all know the ball is coming out every 25 carries or so. Error free football is BB's religion and purges must be made occasionally.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of Faulk sometime down the road. His fumbles are certainly an issue. But the other poster is also right in that Faulk is a valuable contributor on offense. Pats can't afford to cut someone of Faulk's talent without a proven replacement ready to take over his role. I think Maroney will do great things eventually but he is far from proven.

Box_O_Rocks said:
OL: Kaczur and Hochstein are the keys, the Pats could try to go with 8 OL instead of 9-10 to start the season. Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Britt, Kaczur, Hochstein, Gorin/Tucker/Mruczkowski/Yates, put two on the Practice Squad and one or two on IR and you've done the bare minimum with your talent pool.

I hope O'Callaghan and Stevenson are given a chance to make the roster or else we wasted two picks! Watch, there will be four olinemen on the IR this year.

MDPATSFAN said:
You really got a $Billion?!

I'll go $20. The Faulk experiment is over. BB probably winces every time he touches the ball. I know I do as well as most of slammers of my post....deep down inside we all know the ball is coming out every 25 carries or so. Error free football is BB's religion and purges must be made occasionally.

Okay, so to be clear: I am betting you $20 that Kevin Faulk does not get cut by the Patriots - that he MAKES the 53-man roster? Deal? (Please say yes.)

MDPATSFAN said:
The Faulk experiment is over.
Experiment???
Where have you been all these years??? I think you missed a few seasons to be calling Faulk's use an 'experiment".. He is one of the best 3rd down backs and brings much to the offensive table; really gives teh Ds fits. Faulk is and has been a big part of what this team has done.
As far as trying to single his fumble as the biggest turnover..there were many...way too many to win a playoff game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down