PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

keep your fingers crossed....DirecTV streaming is bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Directv and Sunday Ticket. I watched part of the Chargers/Vikes game on my iPad yesterday and had no problems. Maybe it was earlier games. Obviously my Directv access was unaffected by the streaming problems.

I have Directv and Sunday Ticket. I watched part of the Chargers/Vikes game on my iPad yesterday and had no problems. Maybe it was earlier games. Obviously my Directv access was unaffected by the streaming problems.

I,like you also watched the games on my Ipad but those were the early games and they came in horrible,I watched the late games on my TV

I,like you also watched the games on my Ipad but those were the early games and they came in horrible,I watched the late games on my TV

It would make more sense that the early games would have more problems. There were more games and more games that people might be interested in (better match ups at least on paper).

Last edited:
I just added 4 new TV's in my theatre room, so I had to order 4 new receivers from DTV and I spent two hours on the phone yesterday with them and missed the 1st half of the 1pm games - because the new receivers they just sent me kept freezing up whenever I turned to the 700's. When all was said and done it was a problem with the stream from the Sat but it only affected several receiver models. It was a very disasterous start to the grand opening of my dream wall....:mad:

I just added 4 new TV's in my theatre room, so I had to order 4 new receivers from DTV and I spent two hours on the phone yesterday with them and missed the 1st half of the 1pm games - because the new receivers they just sent me kept freezing up whenever I turned to the 700's. When all was said and done it was a problem with the stream from the Sat but it only affected several receiver models. It was a very disasterous start to the grand opening of my dream wall....:mad:

Four TVs for your theater room?!? And I thought I had a sweet set up with my 100 inch projector screen in my man cave. I guess I need to get on the phone with my theater guy.

The NFL should handle the online market themselves, they have already have a great service worldwide than runs absolutely brilliantly. All they need to do is make it available in the US.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this ("pulling the cable companies into the deal) to happen.

First of all DirecTV has an exclusive rights contract in place for the Sunday Ticket. How would you suggest that be taken away? For starters they would need to be reimbursed - and they vastly outbid what anybody else was willing to pay. Besides, they would surely sue to retain those rights, and the NFL cannot be eager for another lengthy and expensive legal battle - especially one that they can easily avoid.

DirecTV can afford to outbid the competition for the rights to Sunday Ticket because they have a different business model. To them Sunday Ticket is not a profit center, but a loss leader to attract subscribers. Whether it be another network such as espn, or another service provider such as comcast, the number of customers that they have is not going to drastically change by having or not having the Sunday Ticket. To them the ST would be another potential money maker, but at the price DTV pays for it the risk is not worth the potential reward.

Although everyone would love for the ST to be available from their local cable company, that's probably not going to happen any time soon. These type of things are bid out as exclusive rights - otherwise they are far less valuable, and the NFL makes less money because everyone would bid much less for those rights. It's like the Super Bowl, or Sunday night games, or Daytona 500, or whatever - they're all exclusive rights deal, given to one, and only one high bidder. If multiple networks and/or service providers can sell the Sunday Ticket, it becomes much less valuable.

Could the reliability and availability of DirecTV be a topic when the Sunday Ticket comes up for bid again? It didn't last time, so I doubt it will next time either.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this ("pulling the cable companies into the deal) to happen.

First of all DirecTV has an exclusive rights contract in place for the Sunday Ticket. How would you suggest that be taken away? For starters they would need to be reimbursed - and they vastly outbid what anybody else was willing to pay. Besides, they would surely sue to retain those rights, and the NFL cannot be eager for another lengthy and expensive legal battle - especially one that they can easily avoid.

DirecTV can afford to outbid the competition for the rights to Sunday Ticket because they have a different business model. To them Sunday Ticket is not a profit center, but a loss leader to attract subscribers. Whether it be another network such as espn, or another service provider such as comcast, the number of customers that they have is not going to drastically change by having or not having the Sunday Ticket. To them the ST would be another potential money maker, but at the price DTV pays for it the risk is not worth the potential reward.

Although everyone would love for the ST to be available from their local cable company, that's probably not going to happen any time soon. These type of things are bid out as exclusive rights - otherwise they are far less valuable, and the NFL makes less money because everyone would bid much less for those rights. It's like the Super Bowl, or Sunday night games, or Daytona 500, or whatever - they're all exclusive rights deal, given to one, and only one high bidder. If multiple networks and/or service providers can sell the Sunday Ticket, it becomes much less valuable.

Could the reliability and availability of DirecTV be a topic when the Sunday Ticket comes up for bid again? It didn't last time, so I doubt it will next time either.

DirecTV owns the exclusive rights until 2014. With streaming, they will expand their revenue on the product. I am sure they have the right of first refusal when the contract is renewed too. DirecTV will have the exclusive rights for the forseeable future.

My DVR receiver reset itself twice during the early games. It didn't affect my other tv. I'd have been really pissed if I was recording the Pats game and found it to have been interrupted.

I watched the early and late games yesterday and had no problem with the DTV to my television. In fact, the only thing that I was really ticked about was Dallas's loss to the JESTS. But Dallas DID show that the JESTS were vulnerable in a few areas so i take some comfort in that. :D

But I had no problems at all yesterday or last night with Direct TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Four TVs for your theater room?!? And I thought I had a sweet set up with my 100 inch projector screen in my man cave. I guess I need to get on the phone with my theater guy.

In order to accomodate it I had to reduce my projection screen from a 92" to an 82" and then I have a 42" for regular tv watching and I just added 4 19" tv's, two to each side of the projector screen. It is sweet! :D

My DVR receiver reset itself twice during the early games. It didn't affect my other tv. I'd have been really pissed if I was recording the Pats game and found it to have been interrupted.

I have one DVR in that room and 5 regular HD receivers and all 5 of my HD receivers froze up, I couldn't do anything with them, I had to unplug them all and plug them back in. The receiver would freeze within 30 seconds of being switched to a 700 channel. It was a very frustrating start to opening day.

You need to keep up with mgcolby's

My Fathers cable went out in the 3rd quarter of the Jets vs Cowboys game and never returned.

Hes pixxed. He was mad enough at the phone company and now this.

Not sure what the deal was yesterday. I didn't have any issues with my DVRing of the Pats game tonight...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots