PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keep your eyes on the Refs today

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist - but it's clear that Goodell's got a much bigger headache if the Pats frinish 19-0.

The pressure isn't anywhere near significant on him if the Pats lose.

Hopefully the Patriots won't give the Boys from Footlocker a chance to take a win away - but I have a feeling the zebras going to do their best to help the Commissioner.

I don't believe the Refs have any hidden agenda.

It is simply up to the Pats to win by a big enough margin that no one or two calls can change the outcome.

539w.jpg

This one is officially historic
Referee Carey makes a breakthrough today
February 3, 2008

Regardless of whether the Patriots win Super Bowl XLII, history will be made tonight at University of Phoenix Stadium when Mike Carey becomes the first black referee to work the NFL's championship game.

Now in his 18th NFL season and 13th as a referee, Carey is humbled by the appointment. He also understands the magnitude of it.

"The real impact of this is that it shows to the United States and the world that anybody, everybody, has the opportunity to do whatever you want to do," he said.

For the 58-year-old Carey, it's one of the high points of his lengthy career as an official.

The journey started shortly after he graduated from Santa Clara University, where he played running back.

"Once you fall for this game, it's in your blood and I wanted to be a part of it any way I could," Carey said. "At the same time, I did want to have a life, a family, and a business, and coaching made that difficult to do. A friend of mine said, 'Hey, come be an official.' "

Recalling his initial reaction that day, Carey smiled.

"I'll never forget it. I said to him, 'I don't like those guys, why would I do that?' But it was really the best introduction into the sport. I started doing Pop Warner games, through high school, and worked my way up. Opportunities present themselves and if you perform well enough, you keep progressing."

By 1985, Carey was working college games in the Western Athletic Conference. The NFL hired him as a side judge in 1990.

"I'll never forget that phone call," said Carey, who was promoted to referee five years later. "We were getting ready to go skiing, me and my family, and the phone rang at 6 in the morning. I was just overwhelmed, all those emotions that culminate from all that hard work and desire."

Carey explained that he had similar feelings when he received the call to officiate tonight's Super Bowl. The news was also met favorably by players.

Longtime Buccaneers linebacker Derrick Brooks described Carey as an in-command official who sometimes talks to players during breaks in the action. Brooks remembers that Carey once commended him for his community endeavors, which made an indelible impression on him.

"I think he's probably, in my opinion, one of the most respected referees in the game," Brooks said. "It's just how he treats people, and how he manages the football game. He lets players play but at the same time he doesn't let us cross a certain line of integrity in the game. He's one of the best in my opinion."

Although officials generally like to remain in the background, Brooks believes Carey's presence should be highlighted in Super Bowl XLII.

"To see Mike in this position, making history, in my opinion it's something that needs to be recognized," he said. "That doesn't get enough credit, the job referees in particular do. What he's doing is groundbreaking."

The NFL employed 26 black officials on its 17 crews this season, which was a high for a season. Black officials have worked the Super Bowl at other positions in the past; former player Burl Toler was the first, working some of the league's early title games.

Carey, who is married with two children, was born in San Diego and still resides there. He and his wife Wendy launched their own successful business venture, founding a company that manufactures accessories for snow sports; that takes up his time when he's not working games or studying for them.

Carey noted that today marks the start of what could be a landmark week.

"We have Super Bowl Sunday and we're going to have Super Tuesday, where that social evolution that we've all been looking for is kind of unfolding and blossoming," he said. "We know that we're going to have someone of color, of gender, propped up to lead our country, and on the world stage for sport, the biggest game, the game of life, I've been blessed and honored to be able to make sure the game is officiated safely and fairly."

Carey was also the official for the season finale between the Patriots and Giants, a game he joked was "Super Bowl 41 1/2." While 34.5 million viewers watched that contest, the number will spike higher tonight.

Carey's historic presence will be hard to miss.

"I am proud that some child, no matter what race, what creed, what color, what gender, is going to be sitting in that audience and might say, 'I can do that' - whether it be as a player, an official, or one of our political leaders," he said. "I'm honored to be able to represent that."

source
I always liked the way this guy refs...even though he is a little too emphatic when he signals that Rodney Harrison has committed a personal foul.

I've had a "We're being setup feeling since yesterday" IF the Pats can be further demonized it'll make the Giants story all that much better for NY, remember they don't usually get to be the good guys!

From what I've seen, our games and the Giants games this postseason have been very well officiated. I won't worry until we have to waste an early challenge on an obvious catch like this year's game @ Indy or the playoff game @ Dever with Asante's pick. Right now I'm not that worried though it should be another clean game.

I've had a "We're being setup feeling since yesterday" IF the Pats can be further demonized it'll make the Giants story all that much better for NY, remember they don't usually get to be the good guys!

I had that feeling yesterday, and it sucked. Today I'm fine, not worried about the officiating. We just have to "do our job" and everything else will take care of itself.

I don't believe the Refs have any hidden agenda.

It is simply up to the Pats to win by a big enough margin that no one or two calls can change the outcome.

Up to 2 years ago I would have agreed you wholeheartedly. Unfortunately I watched Super Bowl XL. Never before, I had I seen such blatant piss-poor biased officiating - including in Pats/Colts games. The Seahawks had absolutely no chance.

It wouldn't have surprised me had Holmgren walked his team off the field following that "Illegal Chop Block" call on Hasselbeck for his TACKLE of the Steeler who had just picked him.

The NFL has an agenda, to make money. That's fine, I'm good with that. But to hand out rings to people because they're named Cowher or Bettis or Manning because it makes for good copy is potentially indicative of a conspiracy.

I trust the Arizona Attorney General is watching the referees actions closely and should we see a repeat of XL, a Grand Jury would be convened forthwith and the officiating crew would be taken into custody as material witnesses.

(And no, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. The Illuminati, the Freemasons and the Bilderberg Group did not conspire to bring down the WTC so that they could take over the world and I don't see black helicopters.)

Last edited:
Mike Carey's first time reffing at the Superbowl and its a historic moment in so many ways. I think and hope the refs are going to do a good job.

It wouldn't have surprised me had Holmgren walked his team off the field following that "Illegal Chop Block" call on Hasselbeck for his TACKLE of the Steeler who had just picked him.
As I understand it, a poorly conceived rule was correctly officiated. The key is that it was a change-of-possession play, and the offensive player was still technically executing a block.

I've been through the rulebook a couple of times and there's lots of exceptions and strange rules governing change-of-possession plays, including scrimmage kicks.

I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist - but it's clear that Goodell's got a much bigger headache if the Pats frinish 19-0.

Hopefully the Patriots won't give the Boys from Footlocker a chance to take a win away - but I have a feeling the zebras going to do their best to help the Commissioner.

Already thinking of excuses in case the Pats lose?? :confused: :confused:

The NFL is currently under a huge microscope. I imagine this game will be called clean.

Carey is the 2nd best ref in the league IMO, behing Pipes.

Although he said that he hasn't worked with any of the people on his crew before. It was on a NFLN segment earlier today.

As I understand it, a poorly conceived rule was correctly officiated. The key is that it was a change-of-possession play, and the offensive player was still technically executing a block.

If the NFL follows that concept to its logical conclusion, any attempt to tackle a DEFENSIVE player after an interception or a fumble would be illegal and would have to result in a holding call on the OFFENSIVE player.

That is just ridiculous (that interpretation of the rule). If any player has the BALL any method of impeding his progress is a tackle (or at least an attempt to tackle). Barring certain prohibited methods (helmut to helmut, horsecollar, etc...) a TACKLE is a TACKLE not a block. For the NFL to claim otherwise is like "Pissing on My Leg and Telling Me It's Raining".

The NFL is currently under a huge microscope. I imagine this game will be called clean.

It should be clean. The first game with the Giants wasn't bad at all... and no way does the NFL risk becoming the WWE in front of hundreds of millions.

Yeah... because the League Offices fixing the Super Bowl wouldn't cause a headache at all... :rolleyes:

If the NFL follows that concept to its logical conclusion, any attempt to tackle a DEFENSIVE player after an interception or a fumble would be illegal and would have to result in a holding call on the OFFENSIVE player.

That is just ridiculous (that interpretation of the rule). If any player has the BALL any method of impeding his progress is a tackle (or at least an attempt to tackle). Barring certain prohibited methods (helmut to helmut, horsecollar, etc...) a TACKLE is a TACKLE not a block. For the NFL to claim otherwise is like "Pissing on My Leg and Telling Me It's Raining".
It's been a long time since I've seen the play in question, but if I recall correctly, Hasselbeck submarined a player in front of the ball carrier as well as the ball carrier himself.

I actually was called for a personel foul in similar circumstances in high school, where as a cornerback I made a tackle on a counter sweep by diving through the legs of the pulling guard instead of directly tackling the ball carrier. I believe both penalties came into being for player safety.

Once there is a change of possession all the rules that apply to offense and defense switch over too... so as far as the rules are concerned the Steelers were on offense and the Seahawks were on defense (despite who the actual players on the field were).

It was a poor call. I don't have the first clue what the ref was seeing... all I can speculate is that, as is often the case on turnovers, the referees were out of position. Look at how badly SD got hosed on their INT return for a TD against the Colts.

Last edited:
Once there is a change of possession all the rules that apply to offense and defense switch over too... so as far as the rules are concerned the Steelers were on offense and the Seahawks were on defense (despite who the actual players on the field were).
That is not "technically" correct.

I believe in the examples given in the NFL Rulebook, for example, players are still called "Offensive A" and "Defensive B," as they were before the snap. Designations of possession do not seem to officially switch over until after the play is blown dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes