PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keep or Trade Nate Solder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would agree that Solder hasn't been a top 2-3 LT, but I reject the notion that Matt Light was better.

Pay the man.
Disagree. Light was better than Solder in my mind. The question you should be asking is really about solder and Volmer. Bill doesn't pay two guys in the same position group 10 mill so there is a pretty good chance one of them will be gone next year.

That last part of the quote is the best lol, though I don't know how much respect it garners considering it's coming from Hart.

Hart is a talking head but I really don't think its far fetched. They are going to need to shell out buku bucks to keep Solder next year. They have a lot of people who also they need to pay.

We saw last year BB is ok screwing with the line the eve before a season.

Bringing in Williams added to the intrigue.

Hart is a talking head but I really don't think its far fetched. They are going to need to shell out buku bucks to keep Solder next year. They have a lot of people who also they need to pay.

We saw last year BB is ok screwing with the line the eve before a season.

Bringing in Williams added to the intrigue.
I was referring to the part about Tanguay in my post, but the rest of the theory is certainly possible. If BB is comfortable with Vollmer at LT, I could certainly see him putting one of Cannon/Fleming/Williams at RT. A less-experienced player could probably be more serviceable at RT than LT.

I was referring to the part about Tanguay in my post, but the rest of the theory is certainly possible. If BB is comfortable with Vollmer at LT, I could certainly see him putting one of Cannon/Fleming/Williams at RT. A less-experienced player could probably be more serviceable at RT than LT.

There were a few times last year that Cannon came in and subbed for Solder at LT. He would seem to be the logical choice if Solder was moved.

Still makes me nervous though...

Light was better than Solder in my mind.

I'm sure he was. On the field, however.... :)

Solder isn't going anywhere. The Patriots can't get move him for a 2016 first rounder so they'd either have to move him for assorted pocket change or they have to wait an extra year. Even assuming a team is willing to part with a 1st, neither is all that likely. Williams is as meaningful as the team snagging a 7th round OT this past April, i.e. not at all. If it ends up coming down to Solder or Vollmer, it will be Nate who gets the dough.

The only way Solder is gone next year is if he asks for outrageous money or doesn't want to return. That's about it.

Last edited:
Disagree. Light was better than Solder in my mind. The question you should be asking is really about solder and Volmer. Bill doesn't pay two guys in the same position group 10 mill so there is a pretty good chance one of them will be gone next year.
Light was definitely a lot more consistent. Yeah Jason Taylor and the Giants d line beat him around but he was never as bad as Solder was early on last season and the Chargers game. Perhaps you could argue Solder had a better A game but he definitely has a lower floor than Light did.

Solder was injured last season. Played injured all year.

Light was definitely a lot more consistent. Yeah Jason Taylor and the Giants d line beat him around but he was never as bad as Solder was early on last season and the Chargers game. Perhaps you could argue Solder had a better A game but he definitely has a lower floor than Light did.

I still think how I put it earlier in this thread is most accurate:

No, about the same. For as much as we all loved Matt, he was prone to having 2-3 clunkers a year where Schoebel or Taylor just ate him up. And it wasn't just those guys. Granted, Light never had a four game stretch anywhere near as bad as Solder's last September, but aside from that Nate's been damn good.

Heading into the 2014 season, can you recall a single person saying his option was anything but a layup?

If you think September had no extenuating circumstances, it is reasonable to conclude a lower floor, otherwise it is about the same. Matt Light most certainly had games as bad as Solder's effort in SD last year. In fact, I can think of one against the very same team where he was worse. Phillips positively destroyed him in 2010.

Left Tackles get beat. The face the very best speed rushers in the game. You can put an entire highlight reel of 2 hours of Matt Light getting spun around by Jason Taylor, Dwight Freeny, Strahan, Unimeynora, Schobel, etc...

You can also produce a highlight reel of him stoning the same players time and time again.

Same with Solder but I think he gets beat a little bit more frequently than Light did.

It depends what they are trading for. With the condition the line is in though i probably don't do it right now.

try to extend him....he's solid and he fits the team well

Out of the 32 starting left tackles the below table shows where they were traded
1 20 *
2 4 *
3 2
4 2
7 2
UDFA 2
Grand Total 32

*For the Broncos using current starter Ty Sambrailo who was drafted in the 2nd round and not Ryan Cladu who was drafted in the first round.

I would keep Solder. As long as he is agreeable to a reasonable contract extension with the Pats, I see him staying for the next 4-5 years and protecting Brady's blindside.

Here's the deal. With whom do we replace Solder with?

Left Tackles get beat. The face the very best speed rushers in the game. You can put an entire highlight reel of 2 hours of Matt Light getting spun around by Jason Taylor, Dwight Freeny, Strahan, Unimeynora, Schobel, etc...

You can also produce a highlight reel of him stoning the same players time and time again.

Same with Solder but I think he gets beat a little bit more frequently than Light did.
Didn't Light handle Freeney pretty well? Seemed like we always kept Freeney and Mathis off Brady one way or another when they murdered everyone else. I'd like to see Solder run some more plays like the touchdown he scored vs Indy in the AFCCG. Guy actually moves very very well for a tackle. Could have been a pretty good tight end I bet.

Didn't Light handle Freeney pretty well?

For the most part. The only time I saw him really struggle was in 2003. The first two plays Freeney got a sack and a hit (I don't remember in what order) and from then on Graham never left his side. Just a few months later Matt got the better of Dwight in the playoff game and handled him well from then on.

Didn't Light handle Freeney pretty well? Seemed like we always kept Freeney and Mathis off Brady one way or another when they murdered everyone else. I'd like to see Solder run some more plays like the touchdown he scored vs Indy in the AFCCG. Guy actually moves very very well for a tackle. Could have been a pretty good tight end I bet.
Well, in 12 games vs Pats w Brady and Light he has 4 sacks. That is a phenomenal job.

For the most part. The only time I saw him really struggle was in 2003. The first two plays Freeney got a sack and a hit (I don't remember in what order) and from then on Graham never left his side. Just a few months later Matt got the better of Dwight in the playoff game and handled him well from then on.
I seem to recall Bill coming up with some whacky schemes as well to help Light and RT out, chipping Freeney and Mathis with wide outs at the line (I think I can recall Edelman doing that in 09).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes