PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keep or Trade Nate Solder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suck today. First Butler not starting last year today and the club on Jackson projecting at RG.

Time for a beer.

Don't be too hard on yourself, I completely forgot about Wendell so you might still be right!

Don't be too hard on yourself, I completely forgot about Wendell so you might still be right!
Well Tre played RG at FSU so I assume that's where they are putting him.

Well Tre played RG at FSU so I assume that's where they are putting him.

Agreed.

Jackson might very well start at RG. I just don't think that he is "pencilled in".

Agreed.

Jackson might very well start at RG. I just don't think that he is "pencilled in".
Yea its early. We'll see. I'm pulling for him. Would love to see a lot of beef on the line blowing people off the ball.

Someone is bored .......

Vollmer I think would be the one to be traded...clears cap room (he's older) and might shift Flemming or Cannon to RT.
I didn't drop a disagree on you, but I do disagree. Ride that horse until you have to take it out behind the barn and shoot it. They were very generous in making sure he got his bonus money. Bill doesn't do that for just anyone.

I say no way and let Flemming and Cannon continue to develop and contribute. Vollmer will hit that age/injury wall eventually. He started and played 18 of 19 last year. When he goes down (or even Solder where Vollmer mans the left and one or both of the 2 get a shot) we have solid depth waiting in the wings.

I like the fact robertweathers threw this topic out there though, and I'll answer him directly in another post. It's nice to just start talking football again. Thanks RW.

Someone is bored .......
More like someone is tired of the sideshow and wants to discuss REAL football stuff. All the things we talk about any other year but this one and that other fiasco year I'd rather let lie in the past.

I didn't drop a disagree on you, but I do disagree. Ride that horse until you have to take it out behind the barn and shoot it. They were very generous in making sure he got his bonus money. Bill doesn't do that for just anyone.

I agree with both of you. I think your action is the best use of assets, but if a starting tackle is traded it will probably be Vollmer.

I say no way and let Flemming and Cannon continue to develop and contribute. Vollmer will hit that age/injury wall eventually. He started and played 18 of 19 last year. When he goes down (or even Solder where Vollmer mans the left and one or both of the 2 get a shot) we have solid depth waiting in the wings.

I like the fact robertweathers threw this topic out there though, and I'll answer him directly in another post. It's nice to just start talking football again. Thanks RW.

Yes, we have solid backups at RT should Vollmer go down. Cannon is signed through 2016, and Fleming through 2017. And I agree that Vollmer is the backup LT for 2015, with Cannon or Fleming ready to play RT.

The open question is who are the starting and backup LT's for 2016? This is similar to the current situation at LG. However, solid LT are much harder to find, and the position is much more important. In the extreme, we could play Groy at LG between Stork and Solder and be OK (or Wendell or Kline). Over the next two years, we need to develop TWO LT's and TWO LG's. Hopefully, some of these four are on the team now, perhaps the rookies.

With the trade for Ryan Groy and learning that he has played a little LT at U of Wis, it got me thinking a little about the Nate Solder situation.

Throwing out some pros and cons...

Why He Goes:
  • Hes owed ~$7.4m 2015. Could free up space/carry over to 2016/ get someone extended/trade for top CB
  • His performance overall has been very good- not elite and not at Matt Light level
  • Pats have Vollmer, Cannon and Fleming at the T spots.
  • The team has major decisions to make on C.Jones, HT and Collins. Can you afford a long term deal for Solder as well? See 1st bullet
  • Recoup a high pick in 2016 thanks to Der Fuher.

Why He Stays:
  • Only 27.
  • BB never moves 1st rd picks
  • It is unknown if Cannon or anyone on the current roster can play LT at a solid level.
  • Paying a starting LT ~$7-8m a year is not bad at all.
  • Trade you starting LT?? Protects the 38 year old GoAT's blind side? Are you nuts??
BTW- Mankins was traded Aug 26th so we are approaching trading season.

Thoughts?
This could become a situation. I've heard no movement on either end. Nothing. We got McCourty done which I think was a relief. It looks like they're going to wait it out and play it like they did with Devin and his 5th year option.

At this point I would be a bit shocked if they moved Nate with the 1st PS game on Thurs., especially with no public dissent from Nate.

Is Nate Solder "great"? He's damn good, I can tell you that. I think he and Vollmer stay locked in as the bookend Tackles and I'd be hard pressed to take another 2 from any other team.

I think Nate keeps his toungue in check, has a solid year and signs a mutually beneficial long term contract at the beginning of FA next year, just like Devin did. HT, Jones and Collins are next years guys. The guy I'm most afraid of losing is Collins, because as a 2nd Rd pick we don't hold that 5th year option on him and I think he has the most upside of that trio.

Thoughts?

Same thing I was yelling at the last bachelor party
I suck today. First Butler not starting last year today and the club on Jackson projecting at RG.

Time for a beer.

Yeah don't worry. Your suck day is better than my best day.

I joined the forum a few months ago and thought I would learn more about the game but it looks like in a few months I'll be ready to take the Mass bar exam. :D

I joined the forum a few months ago and thought I would learn more about the game but it looks like in a few months I'll be ready to take the Mass bar exam.

Don't forget about your expanding science repertoire!

For a first, absolutely yes no question. For a second, I'd sleep on it. Not for anything less.

Keep in mind that evil clause in the punishment that prevents the pick from being better than what the Patriots would have been...

Keep in mind that evil clause in the punishment that prevents the pick from being better than what the Patriots would have been...
Yep. Such BS

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/hart-not-crazy-think-patriots-could-trade-solder

"Those left tackles make a lot of money," said Hart. "Bill [Belichick] is not afraid to pull the plug a year or two early. If you can get something for him, boom, you bump Vollmer over to left tackle, Cannon - who you already extended and paid starter money to - becomes your right tackle, you have Cam Fleming, you just traded for this big Mike Williams tight end/tackle guy. It's not crazy. It's not like some of [Tanguay's] theories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes