PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

KDPPatsfan85 1 round mock draft pre-combine - Vince Curry, Fletcher Cox

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about at a $2M figure, for which he signed last year?

Who is discounting everything he did in the year? It would seem to me that those two plays would require more in depth review of the year to see if Goldson was playing to scheme or if he was freelancing to try and earn himself a bigger contract.

From what I saw, it was more the latter than the former. And I did watch 3 other 49er games this year.

Yes he was free lancing to earn himself a bigger contract. That literally makes no sense. I live in California and have seen more than half of the 49ers games, but I'm not a fan, it's just what's on.

Exactly. When exactly did he become a "top 5 FS"? Many people thought he was the best available in free agency last year. Maybe he was, but that has more to do with the rest of the free agency class than anything else. He is a starting caliber safety, nothing more.

Don't get me wrong, we could have used a starting caliber safety last year, but not at any figure.

This year. This year he became easily a top 5 FS. His progression every year has been obvious to anyone familiar with the 49ers like I am. He is one of the best players on the 49ers defense on every play. Every play he brings it. Yet somehow he remains under the radar. How often do young, instinctual, hard hitting, and well rounded ball hawks hit the market? Not often.

This isn't about last season it's about the up coming ones.

Anyone who doesn't think Dashon Goldson is a good SAFETY (not even just FS, he can make plays in the box too but obv. Whitner is a bit better there) has their head up their ass with no TV inside.

Best in the NFL right now are Reed, Polamalu, Goldson, Eric Berry (OK, he was hurt last year but it's obvious this kids a beast), and Reggie Nelson. Reed and Polamalu are obviously on their way out so next men up are Jairus Byrd, Earl Thomas, and Morgan Burnett.

Anyone who doesn't think Dashon Goldson is a good SAFETY (not even just FS, he can make plays in the box too but obv. Whitner is a bit better there) has their head up their ass with no TV inside.

Best in the NFL right now are Reed, Polamalu, Goldson, Eric Berry (OK, he was hurt last year but it's obvious this kids a beast), and Reggie Nelson. Reed and Polamalu are obviously on their way out so next men up are Jairus Byrd, Earl Thomas, and Morgan Burnett.

You just wrecked yourself with Reggie Nelson in there. He'll be out of the NFL soon...just a terrible, terrible player. Byrd peaked as a rookie and done nothing since. Burnett's a good player, but nothing special -- I'd take Chung over either one of them. I wouldn't hesitate to put Earl Thomas in the top 5 right now. Michael Griffin? I dunno, maybe I don't differentiate enough between "strong" and "free" safeties anymore, since it seems most of the better safeties can do both.

MerrilHoge'stieknot said:
This year. This year he became easily a top 5 FS. His progression every year has been obvious to anyone familiar with the 49ers like I am. He is one of the best players on the 49ers defense on every play. Every play he brings it. Yet somehow he remains under the radar. How often do young, instinctual, hard hitting, and well rounded ball hawks hit the market? Not often.

Okay, I'll defer to your superior knowledge of the 49ers. I do have a pretty good working knowledge of the league in general, and I find it hard to believe Golston ranks that highly in comparison with his peers.

1) Goldson is getting tagged.

2) Our valuation of safeties is a little off kilter. If they are relatively competent, we get excited because we watched Ihedighbo and Brown trundle around for most of the season. My god, they're bad. McCourty's ceiling as safety is pretty low. He fits into that relatively competent, not completely bewildered category, but his position is as a corner. If he can't succeed there, he will be one of the many departed of the last few years.

I certainly hope the strategy isn't sign Goldson or put McCourty at FS and hope to god something works out at CB. That didn't work when Seymour was traded and the suits just hoped Jarvis Green morphed into something he wasn't.

Then what should the strategy be? We might need to sign 2 vet FSs, one for starter's $$.

If not Goldson, then how about Thomas DeCoud or Tyvon Branch?

I'm all for re-signing Jimmy Sanders for his system knowledge, but only for the vet minimum.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I think Goldson is much more likely to be tagged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back