PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

KC's 2nd and first next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: KC's 2nd and first next year.

Anyone who watched the Scott Pioli press conference would have heard Pioli answering questions about Brady and Cassel, the latter got just as much love as the former. If Pioli truly does talk about players the way BB does, Cassel is gold.

I don't understand how or why people down play his value, if Roy Williams is worth the bounty of picks that Detroit received, then what is a potential franchise QB worth? If a guy who only has 6 NFL starts is worth two #2's then what is a guy who started fifteen games and played all but two series of the other, and went 11-5 worth?

I would be shocked - if we learn after this is all over - that the starting point to get in the conversation wasn't at least a 1st and 3rd (or 2nd depending on the location of the 1st being offered).

Running backs have fluke years and rush for 1200 yards (any Denver RB in the early 2000's), WR have fluke years playing in the shadows of great WR's (Andre Rison). QB's don't play well for an entire season, pass for over 3500 yards and then regress the following season. They can either play the position or they can't.

I don't understand how or why people down play his value, if Roy Williams is worth the bounty of picks that Detroit received, then what is a potential franchise QB worth? If a guy who only has 6 NFL starts is worth two #2's then what is a guy who started fifteen games and played all but two series of the other, and went 11-5 worth?

I would be shocked - if we learn after this is all over - that the starting point to get in the conversation wasn't at least a 1st and 3rd (or 2nd depending on the location of the 1st being offered).

Running backs have fluke years and rush for 1200 yards (any Denver RB in the early 2000's), WR have fluke years playing in the shadows of great WR's (Andre Rison). QB's don't play well for an entire season, pass for over 3500 yards and then regress the following season. They can either play the position or they can't.
Yup, watching his progress each game and how the offense opened up to the point where you couldn't really see any difference between Cassel and Brady in term of what McDaniels was asking him to do...I'm thinking positive that all those GMs out there have gone back to 2001 tapes and done some side-by-side looks. For Matt's sake I really do hope KC's Haley wants him - I know he's seen him up close, but probably was too busy trying to pull his offense's heads out of their butts.

does anyone really think pioli will give up so much to get cassel. If there is anything pioli did here was to build up draft picks for the future and i expect him to do so in KC too. Also he wouldnt be interested in giving him a 8-10 mill dollar contract.

I doubt there will be a willing trade partner, but my guess is that Pioli's frist choice would be to trade down from No. 3 for two Rd 1 picks - one of which he would trade for Cassell.

....For Cassel. Every time people talk about a trade to KC, they say it would require their first pic this year. I could definately see them giving their second this year, and a first next year, perhaps with a conditional 5th or 6th if the 2010 pick was higher than 20 or something. 35th pick would be pretty nice ;)

I don't see KC as being interested, they have a lot of needs and Thigpen (or whatever his name is), played decently.

Agree, first and third as a minimum and negotiate from there. Schaub=2 seconds, last year the Browns were offered a first and third for Anderson who split the season. Roy Williams went for? etc.
If Brady can't go next year, name the QB you would want to take his place on a team that should make the playoffs? Garcia? Kerry Collins? Byron Leftowich?, Kurt Warner? the prior mentioned Anderson or how about rookies Matt Stafford or Sanchez? .....or Cassel (never thought I would say that)? What is the poll on that? There is your value.
DW Toys

Who cares about Cassel ... I want to see what we can get for O'Connell and Gutz. :bricks:

Seriously ... my life is on hold until I know WWCD? :eek:

....For Cassel. Every time people talk about a trade to KC, they say it would require their first pic this year. I could definately see them giving their second this year, and a first next year, perhaps with a conditional 5th or 6th if the 2010 pick was higher than 20 or something. 35th pick would be pretty nice ;)

2nd and 3rd this year.

1st next year????

That has a better ring to it.

Last edited:
New Era Scouting Archive Inside Information: February 3rd
Inside Information: February 3rd

The 2008 NFL season is over, and the second season has now begun. We’ve put together our first edition of the popular Inside Information section.
-----
- Will Matt Cassel end up in Kansas City with Scott Pioli? Our moles in Kansas City are saying that the Chiefs will make a run at Cassel.

I don't see KC as being interested, they have a lot of needs and Thigpen (or whatever his name is), played decently.

I think thats right. Its not what NE (or we) think he's worth, its what each organisation values him at relative to their needs. Thigpen maybe seen as a decent QB in KC given better protection (Monroe at #3) and the fact he knows their system and played pretty well towards the end of last season. Therefore for KC specifically they may see him as a 2nd rounder if they could get him. I have a feeling though they will stick with Thigpen

Detroit? I think they stock up the O-Line and try and go for Tebow next year

To me the big ones are the Vikes, SFO and the Bears .. none of whom really have a decent QB

I think thats right. Its not what NE (or we) think he's worth, its what each organisation values him at relative to their needs. Thigpen maybe seen as a decent QB in KC given better protection (Monroe at #3) and the fact he knows their system and played pretty well towards the end of last season. Therefore for KC specifically they may see him as a 2nd rounder if they could get him. I have a feeling though they will stick with Thigpen

Detroit? I think they stock up the O-Line and try and go for Tebow next year

To me the big ones are the Vikes, SFO and the Bears .. none of whom really have a decent QB
Joe, I have an issue with you on K.C. The "system" you have mentioned that Thigpen is used to is out the door as they have hired a new HC in Haley. I still say K.C. would have interest in swapping picks(their #3 for our #23 in the first round) plus their second round pick and a player(Gonzales?). It preserves a first rounder for them and there are for or five tackles and a couple good guard/center type. Remember they got Brandon Albert last year who is projected to be a decent LT. They could even go defense.

I think that BB would not want to "punish" Cassel and send him to the Lions unless the deal was outstanding.
DW Toys

Joe, I have an issue with you on K.C. The "system" you have mentioned that Thigpen is used to is out the door as they have hired a new HC in Haley. I still say K.C. would have interest in swapping picks(their #3 for our #23 in the first round) plus their second round pick and a player(Gonzales?). It preserves a first rounder for them and there are for or five tackles and a couple good guard/center type. Remember they got Brandon Albert last year who is projected to be a decent LT. They could even go defense.

I think that BB would not want to "punish" Cassel and send him to the Lions unless the deal was outstanding.
DW Toys

I hear you but how bad is Thigpen? To me he looked like he had a lot of potential upside and how much of an upgrade is MC given what he will cost them (both in picks and $$$)

To me Jackson, Alex Smith, Garcia .. all QB's with limited upside and teams in dire need of a QB

I think we are in need of too many starting positions to a:keep Cassel and b:not get some of those voids filled with trades. Harrison is done, Jordan is gone, and everyone knows we are weak in the CB and LB positions, in terms of depth and age. I also think we need to trade Maroney. Lets face it, he sucks. Morris is the guy, but can't do it alone. Larry Johnson wants out, I think trading Cassel and a 3rd could get us their first THIS year and LJ. We would have to resign LJ because of his contract but he might do it in exchange for going to the playoffs. OR if not LJ, we could def get a starting SS Pollard or CB, which we need now! in stead of picks, which lets not forget, are a gamble. I still say the biggest mistake last year was not signing Deangelo Hall, BOTH times he was available!
Anyway, what do u guys think?

Yet another site forecasting a KC move on Cassel: SportingNews.com - Your expert source for NFL Football stats, scores, standings, blogs and fantasy news from NFL Football columnists
Neither can the Chiefs. But the question is, will new general manager Scott Pioli trade down for more picks? If he stays at No. 3, look for him to take Everette Brown of Florida State, the draft's best pass rusher, then try to trade 2010 picks for New England Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel.

Pioli, who came to K.C. from the Patriots, knows how talented Cassel is. And even if he does move down, Pioli likely will keep Cassel in his sights.
This is a teaser article for the Sporting News pay site, "The scouts have a new mock draft...For the rest of the selections, check out Sporting News' War Room."

I think that it is ridiculous to compare the likes of Croyle and Thigpen to Cassel. When you've got two mediocre QBs they don't add up to 1 good QB. Heck they don't add up to a hill of beans.

Please refer to 1992 when the Patriots had the likes of Hugh Millen, Tommy Hodson, and Scott Zolak competing for the starting job. Those QBs still SUCKED and the team still SUCKED. The injection of Bledsoe in 1993 turned that team around but Bledsoe was a lottery ticket. Imagine if they had picked Rick Mirer in the draft that year instead? The team would have still been AWFUL as hell and there's nothing Millen, Hodson, or Zolak could have done to turn that team around. Please also note that the team didn't get properly turned around until Bledsoe's 2nd year. How long will Stafford or Sanchez take to develop even IF they are the correct pick? And which one of Stafford/Sanchez is the Rick Mirer of this generation?

1992 New England Patriots Stats

Matt Cassel is the surest QB in this year's draft. He is well worth a 1st round pick and please never compare him to the likes of Thigpen or Croyle again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back