PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

KC's 2nd and first next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: KC's 2nd and first next year.

Why the 2 stars? I thought I brought up a good point, that, after much reading, I have not seen brought up. There was a huge resistance in KC to giving up the 3rd pick overall, but I bet the fans there may find this acceptable, and perhaps Pioli too.

Last edited:

I probably overstated "happy", but big picture, to get a #3 for a guy who looked like he'd walk for nothing this time last year and also keep him from going to the Jets now that we know he's good, that's a win for us. But, sure, looking at it right now I do think we should get more than a #3 for him.

Yeah, I can agree with that. Especially when you consider he was a late 7th round pick. If every 7th rounder eventually turned into a 3rd round pick we'd be sitting pretty.

I've said since whenever that if we trade we'll get a 2nd and a conditional 2010 - and id be happy with that. If its KC's no 2 that's still a good place to be

Like it or not Cassel is not 'seen' around the league as this great QB and he IS a risk after just one season with the HOF receivers he has

Lets not be greedy .. only way we get a first is if there's a bidding war or some horse trading

I would take KC's 2nd, Tony Gonzalez, and a 2010 2nd in a heartbeat providing TB's good to go (and I see no reason why he wouldn't be) after what will basically be a whole year's recovery

Who are you? Adam Schefter?

Why the 2 stars? I thought I brought up a good point, that, after much reading, I have not seen brought up. There was a huge resistance in KC to giving up the 3rd pick overall, but I bet the fans there may find this acceptable, and perhaps Pioli too.
A significant chunk of them qualify as geniuses and would strenuously object to a 'one year wonder who threw to Moss.' I listed KC as my personal favorite for Matt and for the #34 pick this year - it's right where I want to draft Connor Barwin or Louis Delmas.

Who are you? Adam Schefter?

Nah, im better looking :cool:

You can though get a reasonable idea of how he's perceived in general from reading the fan forums - not talking the nutjobs here but the overall view

You can though get a reasonable idea of how he's perceived in general from reading the fan forums - not talking the nutjobs here but the overall view

LOL :rofl:

funny-pictures-traiter-mouse-whispers-cat.jpg

I agree with that. The bigger part to me, though, is ensuring he doesn't stroll down to NJ and solve The Jest's QB problem.

Have you looked at the Jets cap situation?? They need to get Favre's number off the books just to get under the cap. I don't think they have enough $$ left after last year's orgy to have the necessary $$ to sign Cassel even if they backloaded it, which I'm not sure they can do because of the 30% rule and the uncapped year scenario.

does anyone really think pioli will give up so much to get cassel. If there is anything pioli did here was to build up draft picks for the future and i expect him to do so in KC too. Also he wouldnt be interested in giving him a 8-10 mill dollar contract.

I've said since whenever that if we trade we'll get a 2nd and a conditional 2010 - and id be happy with that. If its KC's no 2 that's still a good place to be

Like it or not Cassel is not 'seen' around the league as this great QB and he IS a risk after just one season with the HOF receivers he has

Lets not be greedy .. only way we get a first is if there's a bidding war or some horse trading

I would take KC's 2nd, Tony Gonzalez, and a 2010 2nd in a heartbeat providing TB's good to go (and I see no reason why he wouldn't be) after what will basically be a whole year's recovery

Would LOVE to have KC's second this year and next year

Would be THROUGH THE ROOF if we got Tony Gonzalez in the deal, too... boy, that would be something.

Great post.

....For Cassel. Every time people talk about a trade to KC, they say it would require their first pic this year. I could definately see them giving their second this year, and a first next year, perhaps with a conditional 5th or 6th if the 2010 pick was higher than 20 or something. 35th pick would be pretty nice ;)

If you trade a "franchise player", you ought to be able to get a "franchise player" back in the draft picks. Or if your desperate for lots of good players, a couple of pretty good player, but only if you need numbers.

The Patriots don't need numbers. How do they get the franchise LOT or next Demarcus Ware? With the #35 pick ?

Last edited:

does anyone really think pioli will give up so much to get cassel. If there is anything pioli did here was to build up draft picks for the future and i expect him to do so in KC too. Also he wouldnt be interested in giving him a 8-10 mill dollar contract.

You're making the same mistake that so many other fans are, in that you're assuming you actually know Cassel's worth. As fans, we really have no idea, no matter what the media are saying. Teams are looking at his game in order to try figuring out just how good he really is, just like all of us. And that's where your mistake (and the mistake of so many on both sides of the Cassel 'bonanza' discussion) comes in.

If Pioli thinks that Cassel is capable of leading a team as a top quality quarterback, and that neither Stafford nor Sanchez is that kind of player, he'll give up whatever he needs to, up to a point, to make a deal for Cassel. If Pioli thinks Cassel's a stiff, he won't give up anything. If he thinks he falls somewhere in between, his offer will fall somewhere in the middle.

Nah, im better looking :cool:

Oh, your talking about Fan Forums - Well that explains it.

I look at those as well, and not only is Cassel not very good, but Brady sux, is over rated and a system QB - So if we are going by what our counterparts say on other boards, we need to cut the whole team and fire Belichick......because he's a cheater, ya know.

Last edited:

I look at those as well, and not only is Cassel not very good, but Brady sux, is over rated and a system QB - So if we are going by what our counterparts say on other boards, we need to cut the whole team and fire Belichick......because he's a cheater, ya know.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Best post of the thread.....LOL

Scott Pioli, of the Belichick School of Economics, isn't going to trade for Matt Cassel. He knows about the "winner's curse".

....For Cassel. Every time people talk about a trade to KC, they say it would require their first pic this year. I could definately see them giving their second this year, and a first next year, perhaps with a conditional 5th or 6th if the 2010 pick was higher than 20 or something. 35th pick would be pretty nice ;)

I wouldn't mind this at all and I'd actually be fine if they flipped one of those three 2nds for a first rounder the following next year which would give them three first rounders. Granted it would be tough on signing three first rounders, but look at the value.

Fair play, I stepped into that one:p .. but some of the posters are quite level headed and you can get a sort of sense from the better ones of how he's seen *yup, I know i'm losing this one but hey ho*

On the KC note, they also have Thigpen and there's a school of thought in KC that he did increasingly better towards the end of last year and maybe deserves another season

It's funny, over on the draft board there's lots of talk about how great the 2nd round looks this year and how the draft's sweet spot is in the 20-60 or even 30-60 range, while over here people keep getting outraged at the idea of a "mere" 2nd rounder. :)

Personally...would I love another top-10 pick? Sure. But given the wealth of picks the Pats have this year, 2nds this year & next to move some of the value forward sounds fine.

Fair play, I stepped into that one:p .. but some of the posters are quite level headed and you can get a sort of sense from the better ones of how he's seen *yup, I know i'm losing this one but hey ho*

On the KC note, they also have Thigpen and there's a school of thought in KC that he did increasingly better towards the end of last year and maybe deserves another season

I've been to chiefs planet and read a few Cassel threads and most of the folks on their only saw his game against the Chiefs (and they are the loudest naysayers) but any level headed person who watched him at different points throughout the season realizes or should realize that this guy is the real deal. He progressively got better as the season went on as opposed to the Derek Anderson's of the world and played an entire season unlike the Schaub's/Eric Mitchell's of the world.

Will he go on to win multiple super bowls? Who knows - but he has proven that he is an above average QB in this league that can win games.

I've been to chiefs planet and read a few Cassel threads and most of the folks on their only saw his game against the Chiefs (and they are the loudest naysayers) but any level headed person who watched him at different points throughout the season realizes or should realize that this guy is the real deal. He progressively got better as the season went on as opposed to the Derek Anderson's of the world and played an entire season unlike the Schaub's/Eric Mitchell's of the world.

Will he go on to win multiple super bowls? Who knows - but he has proven that he is an above average QB in this league that can win games.
Anyone who watched the Scott Pioli press conference would have heard Pioli answering questions about Brady and Cassel, the latter got just as much love as the former. If Pioli truly does talk about players the way BB does, Cassel is gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots