PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

KC Joyner ranks Tom BY FAR #1 decision maker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's face it, the media is finally catching on to what we have here in NE. Almost all the talking heads have Brady rated as the #1 or #2 best QB in the NFL. It's a good time to be a Pats fan. As much as I loved Grogan and Bledsoe, we are in the midst of watching a hall of fame career.

But would you say he's more accurate than Holcomb, Wright, or Carr?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=joyner_kc&id=2516953

1. Marc Bulger -- 10.2
2. Carson Palmer -- 11.2
2. Brian Griese -- 11.2
4. Matt Hasselbeck -- 11.8
4. Mark Brunell -- 11.8
6. Kelly Holcomb -- 12.3
7. Brad Johnson -- 12.5
8. Peyton Manning -- 12.6
9. Byron Leftwich -- 13.2
10. Drew Brees -- 13.8
11. Aaron Brooks -- 13.9
12. David Carr -- 14.0
13. Anthony Wright -- 14.4
14. Chris Simms -- 14.6
15. Steve McNair -- 15.0

Nope, don't see his name on that list.

Joyner's metrics give some very questionable results.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
But would you say he's more accurate than Holcomb, Wright, or Carr?
Joyner's metrics give some very questionable results.

good point, I didn't even have access to read that, but I doubt he's adjusting for the system. DCs will tell you the Pats run the most complex passing scheme in the league. He's also not adjusting for arguably the least scary ground game in 2005...or the fact that he plays outdoors in the NE. It's one thing to throw a ball through a tire...if that's the drill I'll take Manning seven times and twice on Sunday...but let's measure accuracy on plays where 300 pound lineman are storming at you and see how accurate those guys are compared to our guy.

I saw KC Joyner's chat touched on the issue raised in this thread so thought I'd pass it along. Basically, he says the bad decision metric is just one measure of QB performance. I don't put this in to start a debate about whether Brady is or is not one of the best QBs in the league but just to shed some light on this topic.

Steve (Richmond): KC, If the bad decision metric doesn't either correlate to overall QB performance (as you've stated above), or to a team's performance (SB QB's), then of what use is it as a statistic?

KC Joyner: (3:55 PM ET ) The best way to answer your question, Steve, is to say that the bad decision metric is simply one way of measuring a QB's performance. It was never intended as an overall barometer of QB performance. The closest thing I have to a single metric for QBs is what I call BADSYPA. It combines yards per attempt, success percentage and bad decision percentage. Ben ranked 3rd in that category, so his overall numbers were great (as I said in the column). He still needs to improve in this one area, though.

He doesn't account for all the necessary bad decisions. Holding on to a ball for too long and taking a sack as a result (instead of throwing it away), throwing downfield in spite of an open receiver out of the backfield or on a late release from the line of scrimmage that would easily make a first down, grounding the ball when taking a sack makes more sense... there are a ton of other potential bad decisions out there.

Richter said:
He doesn't account for all the necessary bad decisions. Holding on to a ball for too long and taking a sack as a result (instead of throwing it away), throwing downfield in spite of an open receiver out of the backfield or on a late release from the line of scrimmage that would easily make a first down, grounding the ball when taking a sack makes more sense... there are a ton of other potential bad decisions out there.

Joyner means as much to me as Bill James does in baseball.....they can explain the game and who is better and who should win but it's done without the human element and other intangibles and that, ultimately, is no fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back