PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

KC Joyner on Cassel's decision making

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Joyner hasn't struck me as the biggest Cassel fan. In any case, this is how Joyner defines a bad decision:

A quarterback is charged with a bad decision when he does something ill-advised that leads to a turnover or a near turnover (such as a potential interception that is dropped). Other examples of mistakes that lead to a play deemed a bad decision include: not seeing a defender in the passing lane; or throwing a pass late and across the middle of the field.

So, for example, the INT against the LOLphins didn't count, because it was a ball the CB couldn't have caught.

Brett Favre's bad decision rate, BTW, is 4.0%. Now here comes the kicker:

The player, however, who has made the most progress in the shortest time is Matt Cassel.

To provide an idea of just how well the New England Patriots signal-caller is progressing, consider the best showing in this metric over the past five years is Tom Brady's 0.7% mark in 2006. [sic]

That means Brady made a mistake on one out of every 143 passes. Cassel wasn't at that pace early in the year, but over the past six games he has only one bad decision in 221 drop-backs.

So he's been positively Bradyesque in more ways than just being the man behind center for the Patriots.

I believe that bad decision would be the one that Cassel somehow threw almost directly into the hands of one of the JEST CBs (thankfully he put so much into the throw that it kept on going).

That's one of the two things that has stunned me about Cassel. He has had, maybe, three "oh sh!t" passes that went incomplete all year. Almost no dropped INTs. The other thing is his accuracy, how he hits WR on the run without having to break stride to make the catch.

Yeah, I think that article made its way to Mayo's locker before the JEST game. ;)

Joyner hasn't struck me as the biggest Cassel fan. In any case, this is how Joyner defines a bad decision:

So, for example, the INT against the LOLphins didn't count, because it was a ball the CB couldn't have caught.

Brett Favre's bad decision rate, BTW, is 4.0%. Now here comes the kicker:

I believe that bad decision would be the one that Cassel somehow threw almost directly into the hands of one of the JEST CBs (thankfully he put so much into the throw that it kept on going).
Or the pass to Moss in the endzone vs. St. Louis that the CB outright dropped. Was that game in the last 6? My memory is shot.

Compare Cassel's decision making in the two Miami games and it's night and day. He's come a long way.

After Brady went down, I predicted the team would go 10-6 with the running game and defense stepping up to cover for Cassel, much like they did for Brady in 2001. They still may go 10-6, but not for my reasons. Instead, they might go 10-6 (or better) thanks to Cassel. I'm pleasantly surprised to see this happen.

Regards,
Chris

That's one of the two things that has stunned me about Cassel. He has had, maybe, three "oh sh!t" passes that went incomplete all year. Almost no dropped INTs. The other thing is his accuracy, how he hits WR on the run without having to break stride to make the catch.

He is also gunning the ball when it needs to be gunned and lofting the pass where appropriate. Throws accurately on the run. It's visible to even a casual observer that he's checking through his receivers and seeing the field better with eyes up and forward when under pressure. Even as a Cassel fan, I'm astounded at his accuracy, his decision making and his athleticism.

He is also gunning the ball when it needs to be gunned and lofting the pass where appropriate. Throws accurately on the run. It's visible to even a casual observer that he's checking through his receivers and seeing the field better with eyes up and forward when under pressure. Even as a Cassel fan, I'm astounded at his accuracy, his decision making and his athleticism.

His accuracy while on the run is a key point. Also he is getting the ball out much quicker than earlier in the year.

We'll see how Cassel does against Pittsburgh. If the OL gives him time to throw, there will be opportunities to carve up the #1 defense in the NFL.

Or the pass to Moss in the endzone vs. St. Louis that the CB outright dropped. Was that game in the last 6? My memory is shot.

Compare Cassel's decision making in the two Miami games and it's night and day. He's come a long way.

After Brady went down, I predicted the team would go 10-6 with the running game and defense stepping up to cover for Cassel, much like they did for Brady in 2001. They still may go 10-6, but not for my reasons. Instead, they might go 10-6 (or better) thanks to Cassel. I'm pleasantly surprised to see this happen.

Regards,
Chris

I am pleasantly surprised as well, however part of me wishes it were the running game and especially the defense that were indeed winning games for us. Unless Brady's knee doesn't respond well I very much doubt Cassell will be back next year. Having a top caliber defense combined with Brady back in the fold would make me feel a lot better about next year.

I am pleasantly surprised as well, however part of me wishes it were the running game and especially the defense that were indeed winning games for us. Unless Brady's knee doesn't respond well I very much doubt Cassell will be back next year. Having a top caliber defense combined with Brady back in the fold would make me feel a lot better about next year.
Let's worry about this year first. Next year who knows what the draft and FA signings will bring, let alone the maturation of guys like Merriweather, Mayo and Wheatley.

As for this year, if the D and running game were the impetus to a playoff run, covering for Cassel's weaknesses, I suspect the Pats would run into a team in January (Tennessee specifically) that would force the game into Cassel's hands. If he hadn't proved himself by then, I'd be nervous (and I think the team would, too) to see if he could pull it out. By having these two great games vs. NY and Miami, he has shown to his teammates and fans he's up to the task of carrying the offense if needed. That will go a long way in a playoff run where he'll more than likely need to do that in at least one game out of 4 (I think 3 thanks to a bye is a longshot now).

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots