Welcome to PatsFans.com

Katrina victims may have to repay money

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Terry Glenn is a cowgirl, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

NEW ORLEANS - Imagine that your home was reduced to mold-covered wood framing by Hurricane Katrina. Desperate for money to rebuild, you engage in a frustrating bureaucratic process, and after months of living in a government provided-trailer that gives off formaldehyde fumes you finally win a federal grant.

Then a collector announces that you have to pay back thousands of dollars.
    Thousands of Katrina victims may be in the same boat.

A private contractor under investigation for the compensation it received to run the Road Home grant program for Katrina victims says that in the rush to deliver aid to homeowners in need some people got too much. Now it wants to hire a separate company to collect millions in grant overpayments.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080329/ap_on_re_us/katrina_collections

I would tell them to get bent and get a lawyer that is willing to go pro bono... or if there is enough victums, put up a class action lawsuit.

These people were literally screwed either way.

Time for the fcuking government to start helping out a lot better than this.

Nobody deserves this kind of treatment.

Not even FTW...
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

OTOH there has been so much waste, my bro in law lives in NOLA the only damage he got was his fence blew down.. he was tremendously inconvenienced and lost money.. but the Gov't fixed his fence and gave him, his wife and baby each a $2,000 EBT card.. I could have seen a claim for lost wages, but to just give him 6K seems a tad injust.. he laughs about it.
  3. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +87 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

Am I the only one here with Home Owners Insurance? I believe this is what it is for? I live on a coastal island, so I can stop paying those pseky insurance premiuims and just wait for the government to come and give me money if my house (which I knowingly bought on an island in the souht) is hit by a hurricane!

Again, we sent people to "help" the day after Katrina hit, and THEY WERE SHOT AT! That is why the delay in assistance.
  4. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Plenty of us have home owners insurance.

But, the adjusters always lowball you with settlements that are not even close to what the damage is.

Then, you have to buy flood insurance.

Then hurricane insurance.

Then you might have to buy 10 other types of insurance.

It's crazy...
  5. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You bring up good points...

Blackwater likes to have target practice.
  6. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

In Spike Lee's documentary on Katrina one of the tragedies that he pointed out was the injustices of the insurance company's. Didn't matter what was in their policy, that they paid their bills on time for years and years, a lot of people who had insurance got screwed.
  7. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

I forget which way around it is, but the insurance company had language in their contract that said they either don't cover natural disasters or they don't cover floods but they do cover hurricanes or something to that effect. Since Katrina involved flooding, a hurricane and levees breaking, it was up to the insurance companies to determine what exactly they were going to say did the damage. Which ever one they didn't cover, that's what they told the homeowners the reason was that they wouldn't cover them.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2008