Kassel? Polley?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
What do they cost? What's their rep? Brains? Attitude?

Brad Kassel, 26 years old, UFA, Titans. Good production, seems like he defended a decent number of passes, ran back an int. for a TD.

Tommy Polley, 28, most recently Rams and Ravens.
--------------------------------------------------

also have to second a couple of good linebacker ideas seen here recently, especially Cato June, were they available at the right price. (But not Lavar Arrington.)

PFnV

Kassel would seem like a pretty good fit inside. He plays ST. The Jets are the only team I have heard of him visiting.

Polloy is a smaller guy and I don't know if he fits the Pats system as much.

Yeah, Kassel seemed the more exciting prospect. I figured with all this Arrington talk flying around, and being home sick as a dog, I would check out linebacker alternatives.

I'd prefer Claiborne to either of these guys.

Claiborne's been kind of injury prone the last couple of years. But also a good choice. I just think he's a way bigger name than Kassel and will probably be asking for bigger name money regardless of similar production. But this is all speculation until we get stories listing their relative demands.

IIRC, Clairborne had some issues with being overweight and somewhat undisciplined. This was a few years ago though before he hit FA for the first time. Not sure if he's turned anything around or not. (?)

I see all of them as "throw a dart and hope they stick" additions.

Bobs My Uncle said:
I see all of them as "throw a dart and hope they stick" additions.

Eh, it all is, to an extent. We can say a few things as likely to be guiding principals right now for the powers that be:

1) They want smart coachable, low-maintenance, low-ego, "Patriots-type" players
2) They want youth at linebacker
3) They want value (productivity to cost ratio.)

That's why I'm asking what people know about these guys. I especially like Kassel, but don't know anything about his smarts, his cash expectations, or about his "self vs. ego" perceptions. At 26, the youth aspect is covered. He has had decent production, and he doesn't have a household name... that is why I ask if anybody knows anything about the kind of deal he would expect. Lack of name recognition combined with solid efforts seem likely to combine for a low cash outlay for production ratio - the value aspect.

Of course, we still would not know the answers to (1)... but those three things would make for a BB/SP trifecta.

At which point I would not be at all surprised if they decided to disregard the usual approach and sign Arrington instead.

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
Eh, it all is, to an extent.
I'm thinking of the "throw a dart and expect them to stick " types.

I don't think any of the above mentioned players would fit into that category like adding an Eric Moulds or a Deshea Townsend or a Joe Jurvicious would for example.

NE39 said:
Kassel would seem like a pretty good fit inside. He plays ST. The Jets are the only team I have heard of him visiting.

Polloy is a smaller guy and I don't know if he fits the Pats system as much.
he was an All American Safety in college & converted to weak side LB by the Rams. At 220 # he could be the big Harrison type run-down safety they could be looking for...

NE39 said:
Kassel would seem like a pretty good fit inside. He plays ST.

Reminds me of...

s6281.jpg
s5555.jpg

--Beisel --- Kassell

Okay so they're both white guys with bad hair.

nfl.com says -

# 55 Brad Kassell
Position: LB
Height: 6-3
Weight: 242
Born: 01/07/1980
College: North Texas
NFL Experience: 5

Of course, that comes straight from the team's propaganda, so they could weigh him generously. But 220 would make him pretty much a stick figure at that height.

He was talking about Polley being 220#.

Kassel is different from Beisel in that he isn't a projection and has more experience. He has played a lot more LB than Beisel.

Peter Sirmon asked to be released..hes a Titan as well and from what i hear hes pretty good

Gotcha, on the Polley = 220 thing.

We have one guy here who has the Pats dealing Seymour to GB for the 5 pick, to use on Hawk at LB. I'm not sure whether he's kidding or not.

Interestinger and interestinger

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
Gotcha, on the Polley = 220 thing.

We have one guy here who has the Pats dealing Seymour to GB for the 5 pick, to use on Hawk at LB. I'm not sure whether he's kidding or not.

Interestinger and interestinger

PFnV
You've got to watch out for that guy. :eek:

Flying Fungi said:
Dumb_As_A_Stump that one is
Nah, he talks a blue streak, just none of it means anything. :(

Okay, while we're on scenarios we really don't quite get, and have no influence over...

A lot of people are interested in drafting a great LB (Hawk, patriots.com says stay put and get Lawson...)

What if we're happy with our remaining aging 'backers, and a cheapish FA pickup can fill the hole left by WillieMac (I'm saying Kassel).

What if we use our first rounder on Tye Hill at cornerback (4.3 40, skills out the yin-yang,) do the vulture thing on Dom Davis once the Texans take Bush (which they would be nuts not to do,) re-do the Branch/Seymour contracts, and pick up a receiver in FA too? (No, not Moulds or Walker. More like Price.) That leaves us linebacker depth/youth still warranting a second round look, and generally more of everything (OL, more DBs, or just plain best-value-no position-specified-players.) The knock on Domanic Davis is how often he's injured, granted - but, trend or mirage? If healthy, he's a do-it-all back, great hands, with a thing or two to learn about blitz pickup. He might be available cheap, as was Dillon in a similar situation.

Since the real Pats ain't sayin' squat till the deals are done, we may as well construct our alternate universes...

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey