PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Karlos Dansby vs. Asante Samuel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pay Asante whatever he wants. The guy has been gold (pun intended) for us this year. The only problem is the Patriots might be tight against the cap next year, so resigning him might not be an option. Do I think Hobbs and Gay will still be one of the better CB tandems in the league? Absolutely. But I think Asante is necessary to make it the best.

I like how people keep saying we don't need Asante b/c we won in 04 w/ nobody at CB, and ignore that Asante was a CB that year

And Asante was a second year nobody who was playing out of position. Just because he is good now does not mean he was a Pro Bowler then.

I pay Asante whatever he wants. The guy has been gold (pun intended) for us this year. The only problem is the Patriots might be tight against the cap next year, so resigning him might not be an option. Do I think Hobbs and Gay will still be one of the better CB tandems in the league? Absolutely. But I think Asante is necessary to make it the best.

I'm glad you don't work in the front office.

Unfortunately, Asante is probably gone. BB just doesn't view DB as a position worth sinking big money into, as he feels he can get cheaper FA's and young draft picks to do the job nearly as well. Law, Milloy, Samuel last year, etc. - all big money DB's have been let go. The only way Asante is back next year is he takes a discount to the point where his added value over his replacement is worth the extra cap space (see Rodney). From most accounts, however, it looks like he is ready to cash in.

BB's track record clearly indicates he'd much rather spend on LB in FA than DB. A guy like Dansby or Victor Hobson (IMO he's the one we go after - experienced in the 3-4, can play inside or outside, young but has already had a few good seasons) is where our "big" FA signing will come from.

As for the LB vs. DB in the draft debate, I don't think it's that BB refuses to draft LB's. It's just that he devalues LB's based on the development time they take compared to other positions. That's why, of the few LB prospects he likes, they usually get scooped up right before him - they are great value to everyone else where he considers them average value. For instance, he'll probably rate a guy like Laurinitis as a #20-25 first round pick, but around the late teens, some other team will find great value in him there and snatch him up.

And Asante was a second year nobody who was playing out of position. Just because he is good now does not mean he was a Pro Bowler then.

did you see our past defense back then? when we held the high flying Colts to 3 points? think that would have been possible with bad CB's?

I'm not saying he was a Pro Bowler but he was a very solid player.

BB just doesn't view DB as a position worth sinking big money into

he is paying Asante $8m this year. they were prepared to pay Ty Law pretty big money.

I think they treat CB like any other position - it's the value that matters, not the absolute dollars

did you see our past defense back then? when we held the high flying Colts to 3 points? think that would have been possible with bad CB's?

I'm not saying he was a Pro Bowler but he was a very solid player.

Don't point to the result of a game and tell me that means they were good. They were the weakness of that defense, which was still pretty good, because of spectacular play from the front seven and the safeties. They were nobodies then who played well enough.

Don't point to the result of a game and tell me that means they were good. They were the weakness of that defense, which was still pretty good, because of spectacular play from the front seven and the safeties. They were nobodies then who played well enough.

it wasn't one game. Ty Law was out for 47 days in 2004. Ty Poole missed most of the season. those guys played 12 games COMBINED

the pass defense ended up 6th in the NFL in 2004 (per dvoa), and I doubt they could have done that without good CB play

Last edited:
wait a sec, were comparing Asante with a LB????

i thought dansby was a CB......

forget that then, if i had to choose between the two, its asante...i think hes importance to the backfield is more important then a LB who can be given limited duties int the front seven....

however, i would like a LB in the front 7 who is very smart, and physical, and fast...and can play any position....another AD woudl be just fine for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back