PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Karen Guregian: Pats are at the top or near the top of Reggie Wayne's list

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather have Brandon Lloyd. He's played and has excelled in the system. He's also more of a downfield threat than Wayne is at this point and has the better ability to go up and get the ball in the air. He's exactly what we need.

Would Wayne be cheaper than Lloyd? If he was cheaper by 3 or more mill per year I'd take Wayne and invest the money elsewhere.

Would Wayne be cheaper than Lloyd? If he was cheaper by 3 or more mill per year I'd take Wayne and invest the money elsewhere.

I think based on Waynes past..they will be the same $$ wise

So you counter my argument because you agree with me that he is only an one to two year solution?
I never disagreed with your argument about him being a 1-2 year stop gap more that some people were arguing he was on the decline, despite raw data suggesting otherwise.

I never disagreed with your argument about him being a 1-2 year stop gap more that some people were arguing he was on the decline, despite raw data suggesting otherwise.

He hasn't declined yet, but he will at some point. The problem is that is impossible to predict.

Reggie doesn’t run with as much speed and explosion as he once did but he has phenomenal hands,” Polian said.

Polian talks up Reggie Wayne | ProFootballTalk

I think people are probably seeing the bolded part (either by watching Wayne themselves or by just accepting Polian's premise) and focusing on that.

Wallace would cost a first round pick + 10 million per year and he is not any better then Torrey Smith who the ravens got in the 2th round last year,
Surely you are kidding when you say this.

Polian talks up Reggie Wayne | ProFootballTalk

I think people are probably seeing the bolded part (either by watching Wayne themselves or by just accepting Polian's premise) and focusing on that.
Which is fair enough given age catches up with all. The suggestion is merely Wayne is still producing to a high level in the NFL. As Rob has addressed, guessing how long that will continue for is the contract question.

The issue with Wayne is contract length. As his former GM noted, he's not able to get the sort of separation that he used to. That's not going to improve with time, and he's going to be a relative non-factor downfield in another year or two.

If he takes a one year deal, it's a great signing. If he gets 3 year deal kind of numbers, it's just asking for trouble.

Yup - no brainer at 1 season - you do it.

Even losing a step Wayne is a better deep WR than we have on the team right now.

He's sure not the long term solution in that department, but as a muli-talented WR he also provides a good Plan B if Welker sits out any portion of the season.

While I realize he's getting older, he had an incredible 2010 season... and are we REALLY going to judge his current abilities based on his 2011 season in which he played opposite a CFL wannabe quarterback?

Last edited:
I think it's a no brainer that Belichick brings in a top flight WR ... Brady's chances are limited and who knows if we keep Gronk and Hernandez past their FA. One of the top 5 WR's is coming here along with a 2nd round WR pick.

Why wouldn't the Patriots be the top destination for every old receiver looking to cash that last paycheck? They saw Ocho ride the bench making bank just by shutting up and sitting back.

Look, you have to see right through this, it is the same as a Red Sox soon to be free agent player saying that "he wouldn't mind playing for the Yankees".

This is a ploy by Wayne to get more money from the Colts, plain and simple, he doesn't want to learn a new offense, he might go where Peyton goes, but he ain't coming here........

Look, you have to see right through this, it is the same as a Red Sox soon to be free agent player saying that "he wouldn't mind playing for the Yankees".

This is a ploy by Wayne to get more money from the Colts, plain and simple, he doesn't want to learn a new offense, he might go where Peyton goes, but he ain't coming here........

I totally disagree with this. I think Wayne wants to be gone from the Colts in the wrost way. The Colts are in rebuild mode. They are changing their system. They will have a rookie QB. They don't have much talent on the team. The Colts are preparing to be good in 2014, not 2012. An older player like Wayne probably wants no part of a rebuild process. Besides, he is likely going to have to learn a new offense in Indy with a new head coach, offensive coordinator, and QB. Plus, Wayne is hasn't been happy for years that the Colts refused to redo his deal because he felt he was underpaid.

Guys like Wayne either want to go where they can cash in or win another championship. Odds are he will get neither of those opportunities in Indy. I think he wants out in the worst way. He doesn't want to finish his career on a sub .500 team helping to groom Andrew Luck to be great potentially after he retires.

I am sure that the Pats are at the top or near the top of his list. The Pats went to the Super Bowl and were arguably one more offensive weapon away from winning it all. Brady is a HOFer which would interest any WR to have them throw him the ball. There is a mutual respect between Belichick and Wayne. I don't see why Wayne wouldn't want to come here.

Last edited:
I think Wayne could play the much needed role of the 15-20 yard pattern guy. Sure, VJ would be better, but Wayne makes more sense money wise.

I think Wayne could play the much needed role of the 15-20 yard pattern guy. Sure, VJ would be better, but Wayne makes more sense money wise.

Considering the WR position is so deep in free agency, I would rather spend less money of Wayne and Lloyd (I prefer Lloyd just because there is less risk) and spend more money going after defensive players where there is less to choose from. I would rather see the Pats pay for Dashon Goldson or Michael Griffin than Vincent Jackson.

Last edited:

That's where the stats show him to be most productive, but keep in mind, even playing without an NFL caliber quarterback last year, Wayne was still a better deep threat than anyone on the Patriots, regardless of age or wear on the tires or whatever metaphor about what he has left in the tank.

He would instantly force defenses to take him seriously deep.

While someone else might overpay more than the Pats I think he wants another ring, an I'd be willing to go as far as 2 years if only to maintain the ability to retain him if he does well, and stretch his guaranteed money this year into next year's cap.

So old people move to florida for retirement, and old football people come to the Patriots. sigh.

So old people move to florida for retirement, and old football people come to the Patriots. sigh.

So?

Our team is extremely young esp on the defensive side of the ball. Does not hurt to have some vet presence.

How did you like the play of old man Waters this season?

Instead of looking at someone's age maybe you should look at their tape and see how they play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes