PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kareem Brown to Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people who try to gauge Day One prospects before three years have passed, let alone 2/3 of his rookie year should be summarily BOUNCED from any discussion of football outside of two-hand touch. This site used to be a good source of savvy, mature insights. Sad.

There isn't anyone left except for Meriweather, and he hasn't done a thing, so that's all we really have to base it on. As for "savvy, mature insights," you just blasted a guy for getting picked up on waivers by the Jets like it was his fault.

HOW ABSOLUTELY BRAINDEAD STUPID IS KAREEM BROWN? This isn't the normal "wants a chance to play" move or the big bump in pay. I mean, Christ, like the Pats weren't going to put him on the practice squad and tab him as the FIRST guy on the roster as soon as we have one injury? On an undefeated team, quite possibly on the way to a Super Bowl championship and a huge place in History. But, by all means, sign with the 2-9 jets. LOL!

This is short-sightedness to the nth degree by Kareem and his agent. Idiotic.

patsox -- Kareem had no choice, and in fact didn't want to leave New England. But when a player is placed on waivers, whichever team wants him can claim him, and if more than one team shows interest (as happened with Kareem), the team with the highest waiver priority "wins."

But like I said, he didn't want to leave and was really hoping he'd get to come back to the Pats' practice squad.

smy

This is short-sightedness to the nth degree by Kareem and his agent. Idiotic.

He was claimed off waivers. His choices: report or retire. The Jets pick up his existing 4 year contract (except for money already paid, obviously).

How much of a contribution would Kareem Brown have made to the Patriots this season? That's all that matters right now.

The answer? Nada.

He wants to play? I can't blame the guy for that. Jeez, thinking every scrub would want a chance to sit on the Patriots practice squad and get mailed a ring they had nothing to do with rather than go a team and be in the mix for a starting job is idiotic.

Besides, he was picked up on waivers. Don't think he had a choice in the matter. But go ahead, go off on the guy.

Oh, well if he had no choice, I take it back. As for your first point, I think these are SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES, no? I mean they're 11-0, for God's sake. They're close to the Promised Land of an UNDEFEATED SEASON. I think he can maybe see value in "sitting on the practice squad" (for what, by the way, 2 weeks before they have someone else get hurt? He's the FIRST guy back, in that case.)

Whatever, my point is moot if it wasn't up to him so I'll shut up now.

Got it, guys and gal. Thanks. My brain-freeze, I wasn't thinking. Hope he puts up a stink and says he doesn't want to go so he can come back and possibly play a (tiny) part in history.

Oh, well if he had no choice, I take it back. As for your first point, I think these are SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES, no? I mean they're 11-0, for God's sake. They're close to the Promised Land of an UNDEFEATED SEASON. I think he can maybe see value in "sitting on the practice squad" (for what, by the way, 2 weeks before they have someone else get hurt? He's the FIRST guy back, in that case.)

Whatever, my point is moot if it wasn't up to him so I'll shut up now.

I've been a second-stringer on an undefeated (or championship) season in other sports. It's fun to root for your team, but if you're an NFL player and you're putting in tons of hard work, you want to play, too. Brown hasn't even been active. It's cool to root hard for a few weeks, but then you just start zoning out when you're not playing.

I think I'd take playing for the 2-9 Jets over the 11-0 Patriots if it meant actually playing. Furthermore, as a pro, there's something else to think about. Look at it this way... he doesn't play at all for the Patriots this year, he likely gets cut next year as a victim of numbers. Then who's going to pick him up, a 4th rounder who never played? Here he gets a chance to play and add to his financial security.

The point is moot anyhow, but I'm just showing that there would be motivation to sign with a bad team.

Last edited:
I think people who try to gauge Day One prospects before three years have passed, let alone 2/3 of his rookie year should be summarily BOUNCED from any discussion of football outside of two-hand touch. This site used to be a good source of savvy, mature insights. Sad.

No; what's sad is the suggestion by some people that others who do not share their opinion on subjective matter be banned from expressing their own opinions.

Besides, I wasn't singling out Meriweather; I was referring mostly to the UDFA-quality 2nd-day picks. But if Baker and Jackson have another lousy game, then Meriweather must get on the field. And for the record, I would have been happier if the FO had drafted Poz or David Harris, or maybe even Chris Houston, instead of the Stomper.

I guess we are going to see the Jets picking up all individuals who were/are associated with Foxboro, right from the groundsmen to the security guards. ;)

No; what's sad is the suggestion by some people that others who do not share their opinion on subjective matter be banned from expressing their own opinions.

Besides, I wasn't singling out Meriweather; I was referring mostly to the UDFA-quality 2nd-day picks. But if Baker and Jackson have another lousy game, then Meriweather must get on the field. And for the record, I would have been happier if the FO had drafted Poz or David Harris, or maybe even Chris Houston, instead of the Stomper.

But, in defense of everyone who called you out, your post was ridiculous.

I guess we are going to see the Jets picking up all individuals who were/are associated with Foxboro, right from the groundsmen to the security guards. ;)

I wouldn't expect any less from that PATHETIC Organization. They will continue to SUCK. I loath that team.

There isn't anyone left except for Meriweather, and he hasn't done a thing, so that's all we really have to base it on. As for "savvy, mature insights," you just blasted a guy for getting picked up on waivers by the Jets like it was his fault.
The 2007 NFL Draft for the New England Patriots does not look that great aside from the Wes Welker and Randy Moss trades. Brandon Meriweather has been a major disappointment to date since Rashad Baker is ahead of him on the depth chart. Kareem Brown for Chad Brown is not a fair trade in my estimation.

Last edited:

Do you mean that part which called the draft, aside from the trades, a disaster?

Premature? Possibly.

Harsh? Probably.

Ridiculous? Not so far. There's only Meriweather, Richardson and Lua remaining. I hope I'm wrong on those 3. I like to eat humble pie, too.

I hope that we did not lose a player who could develop into a decent contributor because of a nostalgic obligation to get Trow Brown on the team. I love Troy, but I question if he is even needed at all at this point.

Eggs-actly, Batman.

Why not take a chance on Brandon Siler with one of the late 6th-round picks? Or Kelvin Smith?

Moss and Welker are graet pickups, but the rest of the 2007 draft has been an unqualified, unmitigated disaster.

I agree on the Welker and Moss trades. The latter will be even better if he
can be re-signed. Only three out of nine draft choices making any team is sub-par drafting
and we do not know if the IR'd players are any good.I think that BB is impatient and prefers signing proven veterans. He may not want to invest four years grooming a rookie and then
lose him to free agency.

Last edited:
I can agree with the second one, based on what Harris would add to the team right now. But Rogers? What, exactly, has Rogers done that makes you think he would be an upgrade over Chad Brown? Rogers played DE in college and has never played LB in the pros, Brown is a former All-Pro OLB in a 3-4. Yes, he's well into his dog days, but there's a certain savvy you can't teach.

Rogers has 9 ST tackles and showed some solid footwork and hustle during the preseason. A project for a 3-4 OLB, at worst.
http://www.nfl.com/players/justinrogers/profile?id=ROG444987

Chad "The defender was overpowered" Brown has little to no future in the NFL. I only hope he has enough to finish out this season. :bricks:

I agree with you but Bill Belichick probably does not. I don't think
the Pats will spend a high draft pick for a linebacker in the near future.
BB has never drafted and groomed a young linebacker to be a starter.
He inherited Bruschi, Johnson, and McGinest and signed Vrabel, Phifer,
Colvin, Thomas, Brown, and Beisel as free agents. I think he wants to
deal with known quantities rather than groom a rookie for four years and
then have him leave via free agency.

I just don't think they've had the right guy available. I'm sure they would have picked Patrick Willis; plus, they were looking at Nebraska's Stewart Bradley whom the Eagles scooped up.

If they get a shot at Laurenaitis (sp?) this year (trading down a few spots, I assume), I bet they take him. But this is coming from the guy who's gotten exactly one Pats draft pick prediction correct in seven years (Justiste Hairston, b/c he attended Pioli's alma mater).

Do you mean that part which called the draft, aside from the trades, a disaster?

Premature? Possibly.

Harsh? Probably.

Ridiculous? Not so far. There's only Meriweather, Richardson and Lua remaining. I hope I'm wrong on those 3. I like to eat humble pie, too.

The "aside from the trades" bit doesn't really apply in this case, IMO. When a team aggressively trades out of the draft to the tune of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 7th-round picks, there is no "aside from the trades" -- the trades WERE the draft.

If possible, please don't quote Captain Stone. He's on my ignore list, but that gets bypassed when people quote his drivel.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye