PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kansas City Chiefs safety Husain Abdullah praying penalty questioned

Uncle Rico

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Saw this one coming as soon as it was called:

Ben VolinVerified account‏@BenVolin
The Council on American-Islamic Relations wants NFL to clarify why Hussain Abdullah was penalized for going to the ground for Muslim prayer

http://deadspin.com/chiefs-safety-h...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Kansas City Chiefs safety Husain Abdullah was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct Monday night when he went to his knees in prayer to celebrate a Tom Brady pick-six. Abdullah—a devout Muslim who sat out the 2012-13 season to make Hajj, the Islamic pilgrimage to Mecca—shouldn't have been penalized.

Going strictly by the rulebook, NFL officials are seemingly justified in flagging Abdullah, as part of the taunting rule states, "players are prohibited from engaging in any celebrations while on the ground." But in 2008, then-vice president of NFL officiating Mike Pereira explained on the NFL Network that there was a loophole in the rule against players going to the ground: prayer.

So now the NFL has a nice little religion controversy to deal with.

Greg A. Bedard ‏@GregABedard 2m2 minutes ago
Is there a group the NFL hasn't ticked off this season?

Personally I think it was a call of ignorance, an officious official not understanding what was going on. NFL will likely apologize and establish some sort of new sensitivity training.

Last edited:
Yep, they done screwed up here.

That is what Muslims call sajdah, which without getting too technical, is basically the equivalent of Tebowing. If the latter is allowed they have to allow the former.

That is what Muslims call sajdah, which without getting too technical, is basically the equivalent of Tebowing. If the latter is allowed they have to allow the former.
Will the talking heads abuse this guy like they abused Tebow's faith demonstrations? Silly question right. The PC police know when to sit on their microphones

The refs just blew that one. There's a clear exception to that rule when it is done in prayer.

That's said, the NFL needs to take all responsibility here, which shouldn't be too hard considering some of awful plays in which they've backed up their refs lately.

The latter is allowed with non-stop whining about it.

The refs just blew that one. There's a clear exception to that rule when it is done in prayer.

That's said, the NFL needs to take all responsibility here, which shouldn't be too hard considering some of awful plays in which they've backed up their refs lately.

The problem is that the refs, whom I'm guessing aren't Muslims, didn't know that that is, in fact, a form of prayer for a Muslim.

This article says he was penalized for the slide before the prayer. Why is sliding on your knees a penalty?

Supposedly for "going to the ground," the same way that Welker was penalized in 2008 for his snow angel.

Supposedly for "going to the ground," the same way that Welker was penalized in 2008 for his snow angel.
Never realized that's a penalty. Why was Tebow never penalized for his celebration?

The religious exemption is BS, if Jared Allen can't go on his knees to do the cowboy celebration Abdullah shouldn't be able to do his prayer.

I agree, but think it should go the other way 'round: let Allen go to his knees for his cowboy celebration.

In fact, my personal opinion is that after a TD is scored, give the player, say, 20 seconds to do whatever he wants (within reason).

I agree, but think it should go the other way 'round: let Allen go to his knees for his cowboy celebration.

In fact, my personal opinion is that after a TD is scored, give the player, say, 20 seconds to do whatever he wants (within reason).
I mostly agree. Let them celebrate how they want so long as they're not taunting the other team.

How about act like a professional without the need for stupid celebration dances?

"Act like you've been there before".

He got flagged for initially going to the ground when he slid, not the praying. But i'm sure this will be beaten to death for the next week because the NFL is a lightning rod right now.

Even the guy that was "wronged" by the NFL admitted he knew that the NFL prohibits sliding celebrations.

Last edited:
He got flagged for initially going to the ground when he slid, not the praying. But i'm sure this will be beaten to death for the next week because the NFL is a lightning rod right now.

Even the guy that was "wronged" by the NFL admitted he knew that the NFL prohibits sliding celebrations.

I agree. I just find it odd that going to the ground is considered grounds for a penalty. Seems the NFL is out-thinking themselves these days.

It wasn't penalty worthy prayer or not. Granted it did piss me off, but that was because we were down 41-7.

How about act like a professional without the need for stupid celebration dances?

"Act like you've been there before".
God forbid somebody try to have fun. I remember everyone was going nuts after Edelman made that first touchdown vs the Broncos to make it 24-7 and then Gronk and Brady went crazy after the 2nd touchdown. I'm not sure the team could have energized themselves to complete the comeback otherwise. League needs to get the stick out of their ass. As long as nobody is doing anything obscene I don't give a ****. NCAA is even worse taking away touchdowns for celebration.

Ha.....I'm sure Allah approves of this activity.....people are stupid

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back