PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kamu Grugier-Hill not as "who the ****" as one might think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill seems to like the safety/LB hybrid from Don Davis, the Tank Johnson signing, Jordan Richards, and now KGH.
Don Davis barely played with the regular or sub defenses. He started I think once and that was an emergency.

Don Davis barely played with the regular or sub defenses. He started I think once and that was an emergency.
led to the success of the Patriots contingency plan was the play of Davis. The fastest of the Patriots linebackers, Davis saw his most substantial action of the season at safety, alternating nearly every possession with Reid in the base defense and playing closer to the line of scrimmage in nickel and dime situations. He finished with a season-high six tackles. Read

Contingency plan in secondary pays off

The other notable contribution at safety for the Patriots was by linebacker Don Davis, who, along with Reid, played a significant role during Wilson's time at cornerback. Davis saw action at safety in six games this season, including his first career start at the position against the New York Jets in Week 16 and another start against San Francisco in the season finale. The fastest of the Patriots linebackers, the 6-1, 235-pound Davis collected 17 tackles and a pass defenses as one of the team's more unheralded two-position players. An unrestricted free agent, Davis has spent the last two of his 10 NFL seasons with the Patriots. Read

Position Breakdown: Safeties

led to the success of the Patriots contingency plan was the play of Davis. The fastest of the Patriots linebackers, Davis saw his most substantial action of the season at safety, alternating nearly every possession with Reid in the base defense and playing closer to the line of scrimmage in nickel and dime situations. He finished with a season-high six tackles. Read

Contingency plan in secondary pays off

The other notable contribution at safety for the Patriots was by linebacker Don Davis, who, along with Reid, played a significant role during Wilson's time at cornerback. Davis saw action at safety in six games this season, including his first career start at the position against the New York Jets in Week 16 and another start against San Francisco in the season finale. The fastest of the Patriots linebackers, the 6-1, 235-pound Davis collected 17 tackles and a pass defenses as one of the team's more unheralded two-position players. An unrestricted free agent, Davis has spent the last two of his 10 NFL seasons with the Patriots. Read

Position Breakdown: Safeties

Yep I remember those games. He did well.

Looks like he started twice and in the 4 years here and was pressed into action due to a rash of injuries in the 04 secondary.

Not a knock on him, they just needed him only in an emergency. He was primarily a STer

Yep I remember those games. He did well.

Looks like he started twice and in the 4 years here and was pressed into action due to a rash of injuries in the 04 secondary.

Not a knock on him, they just needed him only in an emergency. He was primarily a STer
Yea I'm not saying he was Rodney Harrison or anything just saying that Bill seems to like to have that option with guys who can fill in at both spots. I would've loved to have seen how he used Deone Buchanon who the Cardinals drafted in the second round a few years ago.

Similar to the 6th round Matthew Wells pick in 2015 a bit. Linebacker/DB hybrid who was also seen as a special teams asset.

Edit: I posted too soon; this had been covered already.

Davis seemed to get more run as an emergency safety than as a LB.

Why was he taken so late? Small school?

Yea I'm not saying he was Rodney Harrison or anything just saying that Bill seems to like to have that option with guys who can fill in at both spots. I would've loved to have seen how he used Deone Buchanon who the Cardinals drafted in the second round a few years ago.

I know you aren't. Its all good.

Davis was one of those cagey vets that was incredibly intelligent and could step in and do well in whatever role you needed him to fill.

NEWS FLASH
One of Belchick's seems to have the POTENTIAL to be a good Ster and the potential to be as good as someone who started 2 games for us in 4 years.

OK.

Great closing speed, seems to diagnose the plays early....Wonder if I they would use him as a spy on opposing mobile QBs .... or move him to Strong Safety ... BB seems to like the Rodney Harrison/Lynch/Adrian Wilson type......
my new binkie as well...

My fav play is at 2:10-2:15 or so. His assignment is to cover the RB out of the back field to close off the safety valve pass. He does this and has the discipline to stay on him while the QB looks like he is in trouble. It is only after the QB escapes the pocket and commits to run (and the RB turns into a block) does he shed him and pursue the QB for a tackle for loss. Might not seem like a big deal but many players (particularly young ones) see a QB getting happy feet and can't help but attack and blow their assignment in an attempt to make a big play. He stayed with his assignment throughout the process until it was safe to move on from it and did so immediately once it was clear and not before. That is hard to do and to diagnose correctly for a lot of players.

Last edited:
NEWS FLASH
One of Belchick's seems to have the POTENTIAL to be a good Ster and the potential to be as good as someone who started 2 games for us in 4 years.

OK.

Is that really what you conclude from this whole thread? IMO "Good STer" looks like Grugier-Hill's floor, not his full potential. (Given NFL size, speed and athleticism, which he clearly has, great ST coverage is one of the surest skillsets to project to the NFL.)

As for a ceiling, he shows some intriguing awareness and intensity and the size and speed to match up with tight ends. Who knows?

Is that really what you conclude from this whole thread? IMO "Good STer" looks like Grugier-Hill's floor, not his full potential. (Given NFL size, speed and athleticism, which he clearly has, great ST coverage is one of the surest skillsets to project to the NFL.)

As for a ceiling, he shows some intriguing awareness and intensity and the size and speed to match up with tight ends. Who knows?
Sure. anything is possible. Matthew Wells was given as a comparison.

And why is good Ster a floor. Certainly you know just how good our special teamers are.

Kamu seems like a Great Zone Blitz guy just don't let him get trapped in the pile...Hope he really bulks up some he could be a poor mans Jamie Collins.

To be fair, I saw plays in there against both Minnesota and Northwestern.

If I'm interpreting your screen name correctly, you won't mind if I say that the Big 10 sucks, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back