PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kamu Grugier-Hill not as "who the ****" as one might think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross12

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Despite many in the draft day thread proclaiming "who the **** is that" during the KGH pick, Mike Reiss spent a few bullet points in his Sunday notes discussing him and the Eastern Illinois connection. From the article:

2. How hotly in pursuit were the Patriots of Grugier-Hill? The day before the draft, they quietly flew linebackers coach Brian Flores to meet him for a private workout, mostly to confirm that he was a player on their short list to select entering the draft. Turns out the Patriots weren't alone, as the Raiders, Chiefs, Giants, Cardinals, Lions and Colts were teams that either had Grugier-Hill in for a visit or put him through a private workout before the draft. So while he comes from an under-the-radar program, Grugier-Hill was anything but under the radar to NFL teams in the pre-draft process despite not being invited to the combine. He falls into the category of hybrid safety/linebacker, a profile that is growing in importance around the league as teams are playing more substitution defense than ever before.

So at least 6 other teams had him in for a visit or private workout - we can imagine there were probably several other teams also interested who hadn't done either as well. Perhaps Bill was sending out "I WANT KEENAN REYNOLDS" signals like crazy (even wearing a Navy hoodie during the draft) as a fake-out to hide his one true later-round target, Kamu Grugier-Hill. He's definitely my binkie of choice this year :D

From Eastern Illinois to Patriots: Unlikely story playing big on campus

Great closing speed, seems to diagnose the plays early....Wonder if I they would use him as a spy on opposing mobile QBs .... or move him to Strong Safety ... BB seems to like the Rodney Harrison/Lynch/Adrian Wilson type......
my new binkie as well...

A few bullet points? What are you trying to do? Make me click on a BSPN link?o_O

Post the few bullet points on him, it won't be the entire blog post knowing how Reiss does his Sunday bullet points. So no copyright problems I think?

Wow, absolutely love the aggressiveness. Might be against weaker competition but that is a trait that can't be taught. He looks as though he's shot out of a cannon. I'm not even really thinking defense, but I see a potential future ST Captain/Pro Bowler...once again potentially.

A few bullet points? What are you trying to do? Make me click on a BSPN link?o_O

Post the few bullet points on him, it won't be the entire blog post knowing how Reiss does his Sunday bullet points. So no copyright problems I think?

I have no problem clicking on a Mike Reiss link. The rest of BSPN can be thrown in the virtual trash can.

Bill seems to like the safety/LB hybrid from Don Davis, the Tank Johnson signing, Jordan Richards, and now KGH.

Great closing speed, seems to diagnose the plays early....Wonder if I they would use him as a spy on opposing mobile QBs .... or move him to Strong Safety ... BB seems to like the Rodney Harrison/Lynch/Adrian Wilson type......
my new binkie as well...

It looked to me like they don't block much in the Ohio Valley Conference.

When Grugier-Hill was drafted, it had me wondering if he was viewed in the Rodney Harrison mold.. A hard hitter that made receivers think about going over the middle is something we haven't really had since Rodney retired..

my new binkie as well...

That is one of the few highlight clips of a player that excites me.

Seems to have a real knack for finding his way thru clutter to either wreak havoc in the backfield or to blast his way to the punt returner. If he can replicate that at this level he'll be a lot of fun.

It looked to me like they don't block much in the Ohio Valley Conference.
Or block well which is why they are playing in the OVC and not the SEC....
Grugier-Hill went to high school in Hawaii which isn't seen as prime recruiting territory
( "Coach I think there's this prospect in Honolulu- I need a week to scout him out in January"...)
which may explain why he ended up at E. Illinois.

Who is Kamu Grugier-Hill?

Ekw4ND

"He's who Belichick thought he was, and Bill got him on the hook!"

;)

my new binkie as well...

Wow it looks like we actually have someone that can defend the dreaded swing pass that we could never seem to stop before.

This guy could potentially free up Collins and Hightower to be even more dynamic and playmakers in the offensive backfield. He, too, could be used to blitz the passer and help stuff the run on run blitzes. He could potentially be what Tank Williams was supposed to have been. BB was again WAAAAY ahead of the curve.

Wow it looks like we actually have someone that can defend the dreaded swing pass that we could never seem to stop before.
Yeah, because that is one major weakness still for Jamie Collins. He has VERY few, but it's one of the more glaring ones.

Yeah, because that is one major weakness still for Jamie Collins. He has VERY few, but it's one of the more glaring ones.

Or an ancient Owen Daniels in an AFCCG. Ever since thst SB pass to Lynch, I feel he has taken a step back in coverage.

He looks great when no one is blocking him! Even pretty good when they tried to block him. Almost nothing on him in coverage (except the int) so it is hard to judge that skill set. Looks like he has some special talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes