PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Justise Hairston Scouting Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebman2112

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
From the Sports XChange Here is Hairston's scouting report, as listed on NFL.com:

"Positives: Has a well-built, V-shaped frame with broad shoulders, tight waist, good arm and leg-muscle definition and knotted calves … Classic power back who uses his size and strength to punish defenders in his path as he turns up field … Has good straight-line speed and shows patience waiting for blocks to develop … Picks the proper holes to run through and shows good hip swerve as he slides through traffic … Drives forward with force and shows excellent leg strength … Has the acceleration needed to cut around the corner … Willing blocker who can deliver crunching shots and is quick to pick up the blitz … Shows good separation ability and cuts sharply in the short-area passing game … Runs with good body lean and impressive short-burst balance … More comfortable moving the chains than going for the big play … Senses pressure well and is very adept in getting his hands up quickly to rock defenders back on the blitz … Has the frame that could add more bulk without any loss of speed … Runs inside at a low pad level and has a sharp burst past the line of scrimmage … Quick runner who can separate from the defenders after getting past the line.

Negatives: Not that protective of the ball, as he fails to distribute it away from the defender, resulting in a high amount of his fumbles coming when the opponent knocked the ball out of his grasp (only one of his seven fumbles in 2006 came when the ball hit the ground) … Shows good acceleration, but does not have the blazing speed to burst out of his stance in an instant and relies more on his power than quickness or head fakes to be a tackle-breaker … More of a straight-ahead runner, lacking the juking moves and quickness to consistently turn the corner … Lacks the lateral agility to avoid defenders when turning the corner … Has marginal hands, letting the ball absorb into his body rather than extend for the catch … A little stiff in the hips coming out of his breaks on routes, preventing him from weaving through the traffic and separating after the catch.

Compares To: Brandon Jacobs, New York Giants -- Jacobs is much bigger and more powerful, but both had to go to a lower level of competition during their college days in order to gain playing time … Hairston is a good inside runner, but despite his impressive senior season, there are holes in his game … He's had a high amount of fumbles, caused by poor ball distribution and lacks natural hands to be effective in the passing game … He can push the pile with his leg drive, but lacks the blazing speed to change the corner … With his nose for the end zone, he will be quite effective used in short-yardage situations … He also has a lot of similarities to San Diego's Michael Turner."

Last edited:
The pats have taken flyers on a lot of Day Two runnng backs. Sooner or later one will turn out to be a gem.

Personally, I liked Parick Cobbs, thoiugh he was more of a Faulk guy (5'10", 210#).

Hairsten is bigger. I just have no place on my roster for him.

His only shot is that the Pats keep Garrett Mills, and decide that with Mills o the roster, he and Hairston can combine to do what Evans does, with more potential down the line.

It will be an interesting cutdown.

You see no need for a short yardage back and see that somehow a TE makes the difference in the decision. Neither Mills nor Evans is a power runner. Evans is a fine blocker. Mills is a fine receiver.

The pats have taken flyers on a lot of Day Two runnng backs. Sooner or later one will turn out to be a gem.

Personally, I liked Parick Cobbs, thoiugh he was more of a Faulk guy (5'10", 210#).

His only shot is that the Pats keep Garrett Mills, and decide that with Mills o the roster, he and Hairston can combine to do what Evans does, with more potential down the line.

You see no need for a short yardage back and see that somehow a TE makes the difference in the decision. Neither Mills nor Evans is a power runner. Evans is a fine blocker. Mills is a fine receiver.

Agreed, Evans is not the same type of Power runner Hairston could be, besides NE has been using him more and more at FB, and I don't expect that trend to change. People forget NE had Dillon, Maroney, Faulk, Pass, Evans, and Mills last year. Both Pass and Mills ended up going on injured reserve, though.

Also, as you pointed out Mills was a college TE, and NE is trying to use him more as a TE/H-Back than a traditional FB.

Seven fumbles in one season?

His tendency to fumble scares me.....the report mentioned 6 out of his 7 fumbles in 2006 were a result of defenders knocking the ball out and not from the ground.

Other than that, seems like there could be a role, unless we go with a vet.?

Maybe he can beat out Evans. That would be nice.

Anyone have any video of Justise Hairston?

Evans is a FB. not a tailback

Hairston is a pretty big kid so he might project to FB. Even if he doesn't the fullback position is kinda obsolete. We had Klecko playing that position before he got cut if that tells you anything. I think of Evans position in the offense as more powerback than fullback.

His tendency to fumble scares me.....the report mentioned 6 out of his 7 fumbles in 2006 were a result of defenders knocking the ball out and not from the ground.

Other than that, seems like there could be a role, unless we go with a vet.?

Probably just need to change how he holds the ball (IE: What Coughlin did with Tiki Barber).

Last edited:
do you mean cedric cobbs?

yeah, they've taken a few flyers, right?
cobbs was out of arkansas. the state's HS player of the year, but....
i seem to remember some guy, dominic somebody, out of virginia?

as i recall the roster it's maroney, faulk, evans.
sammy morris, and quadtrine hill.
i can't picture morris in my mind when he was a fish last year.
can he hit the ball up in there? pass protect?
dillon protected brady pretty good for 3 years.
but corey's gone, and i believe patrick pass signed with....da bears?
i'd really want to see a move-the-pile guy, who will lower his shoulder, take the 2 yards, and wait for another carry.
maroney danced around too much last year. could have been he was trying to protect his shoulder.

Re: do you mean cedric cobbs?

i believe patrick pass signed with....da bears?

Has Patrick caught on somewhere? I can't find any confirmation...

Re: do you mean cedric cobbs?

As of now, I'd give it to Morris on 3rd and one. He is the back replacing Dillon in this role. He will get fewer reps than Dillon did last year, but Dillon would have gotten fewer reps also. I prefer Morris as the eventual 3rd down back, as Faulk starts slowing down.

Hairston may not be the answer, but you and I have asked what I think are the right questions. Who do we give the ball to on 3rd or 4th and 2? Who is the move-the-pile guy, who will lower his shoulder, take the 2 yards, and wait for another carry? These roles are absolutely critical to success late in the game, and in the red zone. Well, at least that's my view. I was looking forward to Dillon performing in this role for a couple of years, as Bettis did at the end of his career. Now we need to find someone.

Personally, I don't think the answer is Maroney. First, I don't think he performed well in this role last year, and second, he'll get beat up, and risk injury in this kind of role.

yeah, they've taken a few flyers, right?
cobbs was out of arkansas. the state's HS player of the year, but....
i seem to remember some guy, dominic somebody, out of virginia?

as i recall the roster it's maroney, faulk, evans.
sammy morris, and quadtrine hill.
i can't picture morris in my mind when he was a fish last year.
can he hit the ball up in there? pass protect?
dillon protected brady pretty good for 3 years.
but corey's gone, and i believe patrick pass signed with....da bears?
i'd really want to see a move-the-pile guy, who will lower his shoulder, take the 2 yards, and wait for another carry.
maroney danced around too much last year. could have been he was trying to protect his shoulder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes