PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Justin Durant... as a SS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookBoston

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Here's an undersized LB running up the draft board, who doesn't fit the Pat's draft profile for LB at all... except that he's a versatile, hard working leader with top intangibles and great productivity.

Here's what I'm thinking: a cross between Don Davis and Rodney Harrison.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/justindurant.html

6-1, 230 and sub-4.60 40. Same basic measurables as Piscitelli and Rouse, the bigger type SSs that BB prefers. Good range, big hitter, excellent in space, smooth in coverage. Difference is, as a college LB, he's proven against the run, great versatility.

I've spent the last few days preparing myself for the unexpected pick, someone that no one is thinking about at #28 that, in retrospect, will seem utterly right.

I'm not making any claims about Durant, but maybe we need to think about him the way BB would.

There are a lot of guys like that....why would you draft one in the first round when you could draft him in the 4th round.

Unconventional pick doesn't necessarily have to be a "horrible reach" pick as well.

I just don't see us drafting a guy in the first round just to add the significant risk of changing his position.

I'm not making any claims about Durant, but maybe we need to think about him the way BB would.

OK. I also buy the preceding objections.

And since ... more than 3 hours earlier ... Box opined:

Justin Durant, Hampton: ....
- Summation: Durant sounds just like a SS.
- Draft value: Not a 3-4 linebacker, but has value at SS.

So Mr. Durant is another name to watch for!

I just don't see us drafting a guy in the first round just to add the significant risk of changing his position.

Exactly, the formula is really very simple. Take undersized LBs and slower CBs and convert them to Safety. There's usually only a select few who can make the transition, as it's easier said than done. It helps even more when you have someone with some Safety experience in their background -- like Herring for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down