Welcome to PatsFans.com

Justices Uphold Immigrant Law

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, May 27, 2011.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +287 / 4 / -2

This seems like a no brainer to me. I love how the Chamber of Commerce teamed up with the Obama Administration on this one. Yeah, they have our best interests in mind. :rolleyes:

Justices Uphold Immigrant Law

States Can Shut Firms That Hire Illegal Workers

By JESS BRAVIN And MIRIAM JORDAN

WASHINGTON—The Supreme Court Thursday upheld an Arizona law that can put employers from fast-food chains to farms out of business for hiring illegal immigrants, sparking fears among businesses that they will be hamstrung by a patchwork of state regulations.

The 5-3 ruling split the business community from immigration hardliners who hailed it as an affirmation of states' rights to crack down on illegal migrants.

The Legal Arizona Workers Act requires employers to use a federal system called E-Verify to check employees' legal status. It says the state can revoke charters or licenses from employers that repeatedly hire noncitizens lacking work permits. Signing the legislation in 2007, then-Gov. Janet Napolitano called it the "business death penalty."

Justices Uphold Immigrant Law - WSJ.com
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +120 / 7 / -11

Good for Az and good for the court in this case. Businesses can comply with the law if they choose to.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +171 / 5 / -20

I agree, but we will see the first time a big business is found to violate this law.. will that business be put out of business if they are big donors???

Some of these big agriculture businesses come to mind.. stay tuned, no problem if they apply it equally, it becomes an issue if it is applied situationally.