PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just think - Welker was nearly a Viking

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
http://hsarizona.scout.com/a.z?s=222&p=2&c=715003

Until the Patriots stepped into the picture with their trade offer with the Miami Dolphins, the Vikings were quietly in discussions to acquire Wes Welker, who originally joined the Dolphins on Rick Spielman’s watch in Miami. But the Patriots were in a better position with draft picks to offer and pre-empted Minnesota’s efforts to upgrade their receiving corps.

Interesting how Minnesota is trying to spin this huh? (The story was originally published on VikingUpdate.com. Seeing that Miami only had the $1.35 million tender that required giving up a 2nd rounder, I'm intrigued how Minnesota, which I think had a #2 pick from Atlanta (I think they might have swapped) was unable to better the Patriots 2nd round draft choice.

I'd have a tough time believing they wouldn't up the ante with a 7th round pick to match the Pats.

More likely the key issue was signing Welker to an extension so they wouldn't be renting him for a 2nd rounder - and that Welker preferred the Pats over the Vikings.

Here's a good read from Reiss from October that's worth another look as well regarding how we came to get Welker.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...ss_id=Boston.com+--+New+England+Patriots+news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back