PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just noticed, Brady could tie Brees' record TD streak --- vs Saints!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet, even with that said, the record still stood all this time.

Right. I'm glorifying Unitas. Brees record will stand far shorter a time, even if Brady doesn't break it.

I long for the "blue collar, lunchpail" Patriots of the early 2000s. In those days Pats fans excoriated Colts fans for their incessant obsession with Peyton's stats vs Brady's Championship wins. But starting with that nightmare 2007 stats focused season, a large segment of the Patriots fan base became obsessed with individual statistics, like MLB fans, totally missing the point.

Unfortunately it seems like getting the "blue collar, in your face, hard working, shut-up and do their job and do it well, and make your teammates better" type player is really tough to find. No idea how we ended up with so many of them in 2000-07

I thought everyone knew this was going to happen six months ago.

Schedule makers would have to be brain dead to not schedule this.

Unfortunately it seems like getting the "blue collar, in your face, hard working, shut-up and do their job and do it well, and make your teammates better" type player is really tough to find. No idea how we ended up with so many of them in 2000-07

Unfortunately, the die-hard, no-nonsense, win-or-lose, grateful-for-any-victory, loyal-in-defeat type of fan the team used to have is harder to come by too.

Unitas's record stands well over Brees or any other QB of this era that "breaks" it in the sense of the context they played in.

In Unitas's time (say 1965, the first year I saw a game), the 3rd best TD total by a QB was 23, and the 3rd best yards gained/yr was 2300. Compare that to 41 and 5000 yards in 2011. Or of the top 37 QB Rating QB's all time, only two retired before 1994 - or 9 of the top 12 are still active.

Whatever. I'm as stats-focused as anyone out here, but we can slice and dice comparisons across NFL generations until the cows come home; throwing a TD pass in 54 consecutive starts will always be a big deal. That's why it took 50+ years for Unitas' original record to fall, despite the presence in the League of guys named Montana, Marino, Staubach and P. Manning in the intervening years, to name just a few.

Right. I'm glorifying Unitas. Brees record will stand far shorter a time, even if Brady doesn't break it.

Of QB's playing today, who, besides Brady, would you predict will break it in a "far shorter time?" It would be useful if you pointed out how close they are to breaking it today and when they would surpass Unitas and Brees.

God, lol.

This thread is a great example of Pats fans being a little too snooty. I'm not planning on spending the afternoon of week #6 behind a podium spinning the Patriot way. Planning on spending it celebrating a win over a team and QB I dislike, as well as Tom Brady's new record which should stand the test of time.

Tom Brady and New England won't make a big deal out of this record so I and others will be sure to for him.

P.S. The OP is not embarrassed.
Mainly because I use the Patriot forum to talk about the Patriots and not to give other people talking about the Patriots my best holier than thou Belichick impersonation while in my pajamas. Just sayin'.

if we lose that game, thats all brady is going to talk about. the L instead of the W

Of QB's playing today, who, besides Brady, would you predict will break it in a "far shorter time?" It would be useful if you pointed out how close they are to breaking it today and when they would surpass Unitas and Brees.

Are you serious? Did your tiddlywinks set break or something?

The next QB to break Brees record (or that other local guy that's been mentioned) might not even be born yet - even so the period between when the current record will be broken will pale in comparisons to the time that passed until Unitas's record was broken.

If you are going to compare QB's of different times, I think it helps to give context. I wasn't BTW calling out your statement, just enhancing it. Don't worry, if I come for you, it will be clear.

Are you serious? Did your tiddlywinks set break or something?

The next QB to break Brees record (or that other local guy that's been mentioned) might not even be born yet - even so the period between when the current record will be broken will pale in comparisons to the time that passed until Unitas's record was broken.

If you are going to compare QB's of different times, I think it helps to give context. I wasn't BTW calling out your statement, just enhancing it. Don't worry, if I come for you, it will be clear.

Right. He "might not even be born yet," which would suggest that your original "far shorter time" argument regarding the record's breaking is hard to defend. That was my only point and you seem to have made it for me.

I'm not particularly worried that you might "come for" me. My posting and accuracy record out here has been pretty well-established over the years and I have held my own many times. So, give me your best shot. I'm a big boy.

I assume that the tiddlywinks comment was meant to be cute, but, for the life of me, I don't get it. But, no, I don't play and have never played tiddlywinks. Are you challenging me to a game? maybe that was its point.

I long for the "blue collar, lunchpail" Patriots of the early 2000s. In those days Pats fans excoriated Colts fans for their incessant obsession with Peyton's stats vs Brady's Championship wins. But starting with that nightmare 2007 stats focused season, a large segment of the Patriots fan base became obsessed with individual statistics, like MLB fans, totally missing the point.

To be honest most pats fans have not changed . . . you take what you get when you get it (stats, SB or both) and be proud of it . . . the difference between two SBs wins in 2001 and 2003 and two SB looses in 2007 and 2012 is a bad/good bounce in the SB or a game earlier . . . so the "championship" years where wins because lady luck shined on us and the present non win years are because lady luck did not shine on us . . . its not like we went out and got a bunch of players on offense at the expense of the defense, beat up a weak AFC East, went 11-5 without be able to beat any good teams then went one and done in the playoffs for the last 5 years . . .

I personally have always been proud of the accomplishments of the pats outside of the SB wins . . . in particular the following in the 01-04 era

21 games in a row (also, at the time, the record for most consecutive wins in the regular season)
back to back 14-2 seasons;
the best winning percentage against teams with winning records;
streak for never trailing in a game (2004);
most games scoring first;
Brady lowest INT percentage since Bart Starr;
not loosing back to back games till 2006 (outside of 2002);
and so on . . .

so embodied in my pride of the SB years are stats which really have nothing to do with the SB itself, but i am still proud of it . . .

Just as I am proud of the stats of the 2007 to date pats, surely some of the stats are more personal to individual players, but that does not mean the stats are any more or less important than the records we set 01-04 . . .

So I wont shy away from being proud of stats just becuase of a couple of bad bounces recently in the playoffs . . . and think of it this way, most modern day pats fans are spoiled, any pats fan, (myself included) who where a pats fan in 70s, 80s, 90s, or all of them, would give a left man member to have the 2007 to present team to cheer for . . .

I understand your point about the early 2000s colts, but they were never a bounce away from a lombardi like the 2007 or 2012 Pats . . . and like i said the stats that we are obtaining are not at the expense of lombardis, like possible the early 2000s colts . . . in our case there are still stats to be proud of like we got in the "lunchpail" days, just that lady luck has not shine on us in the playoffs . . .

I personaly dont limit my football experience and pride to 60 mins of football in February . . .

Also too, with 3 Lombardis in his pocket and 5 AFCCG wins, personal stats will help TBs overall legacy when he retires and having Unitas old record is just another feather in his cap . . . and even if he does not pass Brees, he has already past Unitas and will likely be at least 2nd in the clubhouse when he retires . . .and also with his 48 game streak he does not have a "we gotta get a TD and any expense game" that Brees had a year or so ago . . .

Right. He "might not even be born yet," which would suggest that your original "far shorter time" argument regarding the record's breaking is hard to defend. That was my only point and you seem to have made it for me.

But there is nothing saying the player isn't already active is there, or perhaps in short pants. The fact that Brees and Brady are so close to it in the same era, and that passing stats are so much larger in extent than Unitas's time should give an idea to anyone that isn't being petulant a very good idea of what has and will happen with this record over the next 50 years.

I'm not particularly worried that you might "come for" me. My posting and accuracy record out here has been pretty well-established over the years and I have held my own many times. So, give me your best shot. I'm a big boy.

Internet tough guy - what fun! I don't care about your record, I just have to suppress a belly laugh over your grandiosity.

I assume that the tiddlywinks comment was meant to be cute, but, for the life of me, I don't get it. But, no, I don't play and have never played tiddlywinks. Are you challenging me to a game? maybe that was its point.

Obscure humor for those with a sense of humor, don't concern yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes