PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just finished reading Stingley's autobiography

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunkypony

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I just got finished reading Darryl Stingley's "Happy to Be Alive", for research on my spinal cord and concussions in the history of football research paper. Here are a few thoughts I have after reading it:

1.) I take back anything bad I have ever said about John Madden. The fact that he visited Stingley nearly everyday during the 1978 season (the season Stingley was injured) really says alot about his character. I know, he is kind of a moron when he announces games, but he has a great heart.

2.) Stingley, himself, has a large heart and is an extremely strong willed person. Some of his stories from rehab are painful, depressing, and inspirational at the same time.

3.) The Patriots teams in the couple of seasons directly after Stingley's injury under Fairbanks really would have had a good chance of doing some serious damage in the league. I feel if Stingley were not injured, the Patriots could have won one or more championships under Fairbanks (who, by all accounts in the book, was a great guy and unfairly booed off the field when he bolted to Colorado). Jim Plunkett was a reciever's quarterback (Stingley loved the balls he threw), and Grogan got a raw deal from the Boston Sports media over the Stingley hit (people claimed it was his fault for the ball he threw).

4.) Jack Tatum is even more of a douch*bag than I originally thought. He has never contacted Stingley since the incident, and wrote his book, "They Call Me Assassin" (which I also read), only after Stingley settled with the Patriots over his injury and monetary security. In other words, Tatum wrote his book after Stingley agreed to not sue the NFL (and in turn, Tatum) over the incident. Spinless pr*ck.

Sounds like an inspiring book. I'll have to look for it.

BTW, Fairbanks was booed off the field because he quit on the team DURING THE PLAYOFFS. He deserved it.

I have tried to find that book for years...an dactually gave up trying to locate it..is it available now???
I also think that incident may have been of influence to him to get out of coaching...and Madden has always had my utmost respect for all he did regarding that inccident and his many many trips to see him. Fairbanks was a dolt, especially the classless way he screwed the team..I agree the booing then was totally justified. Tatum has been and always will be a **rick.
He came very close to death after the pneumonia set in in the days after...really a very very sad situation.

I just got finished reading Darryl Stingley's "Happy to Be Alive", for research on my spinal cord and concussions in the history of football research paper. Here are a few thoughts I have after reading it:

1.) I take back anything bad I have ever said about John Madden. The fact that he visited Stingley nearly everyday during the 1978 season (the season Stingley was injured) really says alot about his character. I know, he is kind of a moron when he announces games, but he has a great heart.

2.) Stingley, himself, has a large heart and is an extremely strong willed person. Some of his stories from rehab are painful, depressing, and inspirational at the same time.

3.) The Patriots teams in the couple of seasons directly after Stingley's injury under Fairbanks really would have had a good chance of doing some serious damage in the league. I feel if Stingley were not injured, the Patriots could have won one or more championships under Fairbanks (who, by all accounts in the book, was a great guy and unfairly booed off the field when he bolted to Colorado). Jim Plunkett was a reciever's quarterback (Stingley loved the balls he threw), and Grogan got a raw deal from the Boston Sports media over the Stingley hit (people claimed it was his fault for the ball he threw).

4.) Jack Tatum is even more of a douch*bag than I originally thought. He has never contacted Stingley since the incident, and wrote his book, "They Call Me Assassin" (which I also read), only after Stingley settled with the Patriots over his injury and monetary security. In other words, Tatum wrote his book after Stingley agreed to not sue the NFL (and in turn, Tatum) over the incident. Spinless pr*ck.

Right after his book came out, Tatum tried to set up a public apology type thing with Stingley who refused. Stingley realized it was nothing more than a publicity stunt to try to sell more books.

I have tried to find that book for years...an dactually gave up trying to locate it..is it available now???
I also think that incident may have been of influence to him to get out of coaching...and Madden has always had my utmost respect for all he did regarding that inccident and his many many trips to see him. Fairbanks was a dolt, especially the classless way he screwed the team..I agree the booing then was totally justified. Tatum has been and always will be a **rick.
He came very close to death after the pneumonia set in in the days after...really a very very sad situation.
Here you go Stan.

http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQprZ4915639QQcpidZ1187568879

Just ordered one off of Amazon used, cost about $5.00 in total.

Right after his book came out, Tatum tried to set up a public apology type thing with Stingley who refused. Stingley realized it was nothing more than a publicity stunt to try to sell more books.

That's despicable and takes the concept of opportunist to a whole other level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots