Welcome to PatsFans.com

Just borrow 20k from your parents....start a bizz!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, May 1, 2012.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Yes, ladies and gets..its THAT easy! All you have to do is just ask mommy and daddy for 20k to start a buisness. I never knew. Wonder why he gave Tag a $10MILLION loan when all it takes is 20k? http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/01/u...rm.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

Romney encourages college students to borrow from parents | ksl.com

"Take a shot, go for it, take a risk, get the education, borrow money if you have to from your parents, start a business," Romney told college students in Ohio. The statement is in context of a story where a friend of his borrowed $20,000 from his parents

Dude is AMAZING!

2. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Pretty sure this is the American Way...

3. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

hahahhahahah...

What did you do with your 20K?

4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +456 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

I don't see his main point being to borrow from one's parents but more find a way to get the financing and take a risk.

But for a kid just out of college with no practical experience, it's not a smart move for most. Yeah, it worked for Bill Gates and few others, but most recent college grads are not prepared to start a business.

5. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The dude is so out of touch with the main stream, Mr.Mitt never worked a hard day in his life.....

Must be nice to have rich parents.....:bricks:

6. Ilikehappyppl

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

To borrow money from your rich parents???

I don't think so slim....Real men and women don't need daddy's and mommy's money....

Edit: How did people without help from mom and dad do it before? They worked.....for years.......and saved.......and saved.......then started a Bizz maybe got a loan from a bank because they had good credit from working and paying their bills.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +456 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Let us not demonize someone for having wealthy parents. No one should be judged based upon their wealth or lack of wealth.

I sit at a desk for my job. Am I any less of a worker than someone who digs holes for work? Absolutely not.

Name the last president who was not well above average wealth.

8. Ilikehappyppl

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh no, that's not what I'm saying, that your a bad person because you were born rich, or borrow money from you parents, what I'm saying is that you shouldn't run for Prez if you were born rich......because the majority of the people you represent weren't born into wealth and how can you understand something if you have never gone through it.

Your right to a point, Obama wasn't born rich......he worked for it! Mitt on the other hand was born rich and didn't work for it.....Maybe that's part of the problem, we keep electing rich/ivy league people and look were its gotten us???

9. khayos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Someone with 20k is rich?

Didn't happen with me, but I know lots of folks who received assistance with a downpayment on their first home -- or a first car -- from their parents...

If you said 100k or higher I'd say now we're talking about a different crust but cobbling together funds from friends and family is how a lot of small businesses get off the ground... or are some of you so divorced from reality that it isn't so?

10. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I'm not demonizing Mitt for having wealthy parents, but for him to connect with college students on the ease of access to funds is shockinly out of touch. Not to mention that said kid is already 40-80k in the hole with student loans...

If I asked for 20k from my parents straight out of college to 'start a buisness' they would still be laughing at me today....Pointing....laughing.....

The last prez that was NOT from wealth?

Obama...
    Clinton...

?

11. khayos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Romney was comfortable but made most of his own money:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...omney-says-he-didnt-inherit-money-his-parent/

Obama got free rides to college too... I'd say they were about equal in support received.

12. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

My parents as their wedding gift to my wife and I gave us money we are using towards our down payment for our home.

In fact every person I know who has bought a home in the last 5 years - friends, co-workers etc all got at least something from their rents....seems, when the situation is doable from a financial standpoint, to be quite the norm.

13. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

So Romney worked for his college tuition, and started his buisness from scratch with his own money?

same guy who sold stock daddy gave him during college to help him live in France? THAT guy?

tell me more!

from your link...

Romney started college at Stanford, where his "allowance" was big enough for frequent plane tickets to sneak home to Michigan see his girlfriend, Ann, according to a recently published book by two Boston Globe journalists, "The Real Romney."

"We were happy, studying hard. Neither one of us had a job, because Mitt had enough of an investment from stock that we could sell off a little at a time," she said.

It's not clear who paid for his education, but Romney wasn't exactly a struggling student: enough cash for plane tickets, a car as a wedding gift, stock that kept him from having to work, help buying a home.

sounds pretty much like my education

14. Ilikehappyppl

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

"He says" Is the key point here, I don't trust anything that man has to say, he's a proven liar and flip flops more then anyone I have ever know of.

Romney got a free ride too with college and didn't pay for his mission either....He also got a check, you can take him for his word he gave it to charity's or you can read between the lines of a proven liar.

15. Ilikehappyppl

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Me and my wife bought a house last year, we don't have rich parents or parents that have enough to support our wants and needs. We payed our down payment by ourselves.

Most of my friends don't have rich parents and most of them don't take handouts from mom and dad.....My buddy bought his house at age 19 and did it all on his own, no help from anyone.

Its only the norm when your out of touch with the rest of the world.....You want to take handouts from mom and dad, be my guest! Its not something to be proud about......:rolleyes:

16. Ilikehappyppl

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

20k is a lot of money to some people.......like myself.......

If you have 20k just sitting around, I would say your pretty well off but that's just my opinion maybe i'm out of touch.....:cool:

17. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +709 / 7 / -2

I thought your parents gave you money to live off of at one point. I might be wrong though.

18. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Bahahahahahahahahahaha

Congrats Brah.....

Holy sh!t my man....must be nice to sit up in your "poor" perch and just judge everyone else around you.

My parents are rich cuz they could help their kid out with a wedding gift? Any other parent who can help their kid out are the same?

Are we going with your definition of rich? If so what is it?

You come at me with "rich and handouts" yet want taxpayers to pay for your cold medicine? Holy hypocritical line of thinking Batman

Must have a nice view with all those windows in your house....

19. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Me?

Holy crap no....I wish.

I recall a long time ago, calling them when I was in dire straights with $18 in my account till payday, asked for $100. My mom said to me "Make it work"

Know what? I did. Toast and peanut butter...canned beans and water. At one point I was showering in a sink...I could go on...

Its not a debate about getting help from home, or having access to $$. I know that happens all the time. Parents give their kids things/advantages that they never had. Its called being a good parent. Sometimes they deliver some tough love too...its how it goes.

The real point of the thread is how out of touch Romney is with Johnny Average American. I'd say that 99.9% of young people can't go to the well for 20k. Its funny, because even Romney should understand that. He talks about one of his friends having to go to Pappa Romney for the 20k, not even his own parents....so

In his own example....The friend couldn't get the money from his own parents, only from the Romneys...

I hope he keeps telling these stories 'til November.

20. Ilikehappyppl

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks!

Hit a nerve??? lol don't be mad man, I'm just proud of myself and my wife, we didn't need handouts, we worked hard and we are good people and good things happened for us. I'm not judging you or anyone for that matter but I am proud of myself and of others that don't need handouts.....take it with a grain of salt.....

Never said they were rich or that they shouldn't give wedding gifts, all I said is when you get a large sum of money, its a handout and not something to be proud of, its like a poor man being proud he's on welfare.....

Ok, you bringing up healthcare now, different discussion, please keep on track. So you don't want insurance to pay for meds for others but your ok with handouts from your mom and dad???

lol sounds like your confused......Healthcare insurance you have to pay for in case you didn't know.....you don't get a free ride, what I was saying is that if your paying for healthcare they should cover meds.

I'm very blessed that I was raised the way I was raised and saw the things that I saw, it made me the man I am today.

I have seen things and been though things that you have no clue about, I have to right to this opinion not as a silver spoon or having rich parents but as someone who has been there......

Your mad because I called you out, your mad because you think its ok to receive handouts from a parent or parents but not ok from the government, well not all of us have well off parents and not all of us think its ok to receive handouts then turn around and ***** about others getting a handout from the government, its call being a hypocrite in case you didn't know!