Welcome to PatsFans.com

Just as you got over last Sunday...

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by The_Dragon, Jan 26, 2007.

1. The_Dragon

The_Dragon Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

From profootballtalk.com

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

LEAGUE ADMITS FACE-GUARDING SCREW UP

In response to an item in our Conference Championship Ten-Pack regarding a key pass interference call on Patriots cornerback Ellis Hobbs that allowed the Colts to complete an 18-point comeback and knot the game at 21, a member of PFT Planet has alerted us to a January 25, 2007 "Q&A" on Jaguars.com in which Vic Ketcham writes that the NFL has acknowledged that a bad call was made.

Writes Ketcham, in response to a question that chastised him for suggesting that face-guarding is still forbidden:

"Face-guarding was discontinued several years ago and I completely missed it. I talked to Dean Blandino in the league office and he confirmed what you're saying. Blandino, by the way, was in the replay booth at the Patriots-Colts game. Ellis Hobbs should not have been flagged for pass-interference. He didn't make contact with the receiver and in no way did Hobbs impede Reggie Wayne's ability to catch the pass. Blandino confirmed that the incorrect call was made. It advanced the ball from the Patriots' 19-yard line to the one-yard line and was the big play in a touchdown drive that led to a two-point conversion and a tie game at 21-21. Referee Bill Carollo made no reference to face-guarding in his explanation, but CBS analyst Phil Simms did. Apparently, he, too, doesn't know the rule no longer exists. The next time you hear a TV analyst say, 'he wasn’t playing the ball,' think of the Hobbs play, then turn down the sound."

Make no mistake about it, it was a key call. And, to their credit, we haven't heard a public peep from the "no class" Pats about the play.

Gee, what would Napolian have done if that phantom flag had been thrown on a member of the Colts' defense?
  2. BradfordPatsFan

BradfordPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Was that a 3rd down play? I can't bring myself to recall much of the game beyond the obvious....
  3. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

A huge play in the game that gave the Colts an easy path to a TD
  4. Oswlek

Oswlek Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

2nd, but it would have been 3rd and 7.

So Indy was given 18 yards and a first down, and NE had the same taken away from them.

Shocking. :rolleyes:
  5. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +92 / 1 / -1

good question...i forget too...could someone remind us...i think it was third and long and they would have had to kick a FG...
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  6. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +649 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

The only fair thing would be to play the game over from that point on. :eek:
  7. stevedogc

stevedogc Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

How great would it be if BB went to the competition committee with this and complained about the officials not making the correct calls or not knowing the rules. Polian would go nuts.
  8. mtbykr

mtbykr Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#37 Jersey

Well Polian supposidly talked to the officials before the game and let them know how the "compitition committee" wanted the game called........sounds like they got what they wanted!
  9. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +160 / 22 / -10

#18 Jersey

Jesus, that's a heartbreaker.
  10. Robdude

Robdude Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

It was a sad thing that Ellis gets a call that basically hands the Colts a touchdown and it turns out he did nothing wrong. Then a clear pass interference occurs on Caldwell in the end zone and no call is made which sets up a field goal instead of a TD for us.

Not to say the refs lost the game for us but in a game this close those 2 calls (or 1 call and 1 no call) make a difference.:(
  11. The_Dragon

The_Dragon Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sums up my thoughts on it.
  12. The_Dragon

The_Dragon Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Can anyone remember what the officials called the flag for?
  13. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

They did play the game from that point on.

We had the lead and the ball with 3 minutes left to play. No excuses.
  14. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +39 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

Nice breakdown, I was more upset about the non call in the end zone in the 4th quarter, I am pretty sure it was Caldwell up the sidelines, the CB was spun around and there was contact. It should have resulted in a 1st and goal, which would have lead to a TD instead of a FG.

In the end you make your own breaks, the Pats had there chances and could have put the game away with one more first down. 3rd and 4... that play is burned into my brain forever.

New England - 10:26
    1st-10, IND43 10:26 T. Brady passed to R. Caldwell to the right for 16 yard gain
    1st-10, IND27 9:42 T. Brady passed to J. Gaffney to the right for 14 yard gain
    1st-10, IND13 8:59 NE committed 5 yard penalty
    1st-15, IND18 8:38 T. Brady incomplete pass to the right
    2nd-15, IND18 8:34 T. Brady passed to H. Evans down the middle for 8 yard gain
    3rd-7, IND10 7:50 T. Brady incomplete pass to the right
    4th-7, IND10 7:42 S. Gostkowski kicked a 28-yard field goal

15. FloridaHerb

FloridaHerb Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

As much as I hate to say this if ANYTHING BB and staff should have been aware of this change and challenged it. Either way you slice it we lost the game.
  16. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +397 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

The combination of these two undoubtedly would have made the difference. Oh well, we don't get a re-match.

Regarding a challenge, penalties aren't challegable, I wouldn't think we could challenge it.
  17. vyrago

vyrago Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Are PI calls challengable?
  18. BigEZPatsFan76

BigEZPatsFan76 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yeh, real big of them to come out now, and make this statement, like that is supposed to make everything "peachy" since they admitted their incompetance. But, easy to do now, because there is nothing that can be done about it, and the league got their wish, Manning gets to his Super Bowl, amongst other things. What would make more livid than this is if they were to come back and say the Troy Brown PI was a wrong call. That call completely changed the complexion of the game, and took all the starch out of the Pats since we got the first, and were about to put the game pretty much away 28-3.

Look, I agree, I won't put the reason for loss on the officials. If we took care of business (like we should have), none of this even gets on the radar screen. We did enough shooting ourselves in the foot to lose that game. We should have known going in, what we were up against, especially since ***** boy Na-Polian had issued his "marching orders" (configuratively speaking) to the officials during the week. None of this should come as surprise. In the end, this, as well as a duct taped defense that was injury plagued and worn out, the inability to put the game away, as well as running on fumes became too much to overcome in the end.

BEZPF76
  19. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +397 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

No. But don't let that stop people from blaming the coaches. Maybe it was McDaniels' fault for not throwing a flag ;)
  20. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +649 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

I don't believe this ever has happened in football. All the more reason there should be a booth official who can overturn bad calls on the field.