PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just a Thought on Eugene Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fans always fawn over college players instead of experienced veterans.

I think part of the issue people want to move him out of free safety is because they are enamored by Reggie Nelson, Michael Griffin, and Brandon Meriweather.

Fans are salivating getting one of these players into the secondary.

For some reason I am ok with Wilson playing FS in 2007. Any upgrade to the position could have just as much to do with what they think of Hawkins.

Hawkins played pretty well but slowed down at the end of the year and his lack of speed was exposed. He is really undersized to play Safety and I think his body really took a beating as the season progressed. He is a player with limited upside. I expect a FS to be signed or drafted to compete directly with Hawkins for the backup role and to push Wilson. Also maybe Andrews can emerge as the 3rd string backup.

At SS, again I am optimistic that Harrison can come back and play at a good but not great. I also feel ok with Sanders as a backup, he is not flashy but he is a solid tackler (critical for a S) and seemed to get better as the year progressed. We also have Jones and Mitchell as the backups to the backup.

Maybe I have had too much Kool-aid but I think we are ok at S, maybe a FS is brought it but overall the unit is not one of my primary concerns.

Last edited:
For some reason I am ok with Wilson playing FS in 2007. Any upgrade to the position could have just as much to do with what they think of Hawkins.

Hawkins played pretty well but slowed down at the end of the year and his lack of speed was exposed. He is really undersized to play Safety and I think his body really took a beating as the season progressed. He is a player with limited upside. I expect a FS to be signed or drafted to compete directly with Hawkins for the backup role and to push Wilson. Also maybe Andrews can emerge as the 3rd string backup.

At SS, again I am optimistic that Harrison can come back and play at a good but not great. I also feel ok with Sanders as a backup, he is not flashy but he is a solid tackler (critical for a S) and seemed to get better as the year progressed. We also have Jones and Mitchell as the backups to the backup.

Maybe I have had too much Kool-aid but I think we are ok at S, maybe a FS is brought it but overall the unit is not one of my primary concerns.

If they add some more speed at lb and the pass rush then the secondary will be helped immensely. Part of the issue with the Colts game was the pats had no pass rish in the second half and rght before halftime

If they add some more speed at lb and the pass rush then the secondary will be helped immensely. Part of the issue with the Colts game was the pats had no pass rish in the second half and rght before halftime

I agree, the LB were the big weakness. Once Colvin went down they couldn't apply consistent pressure. With Seymour at 50% the pass rush was even more ineffective. Not to mention they were getting gashed every time the Colts ran the ball.

CB is a huge question mark if Samuel leaves but the front seven is the heart of the defense and must be shored up. As much as people question the secondary the gave up only 10 passing TDs all year (lowest in the league) and were 3rd in Interceptions with 22.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/b...nce=NFL&year=season_2006&sort=1116&timeframe=

Last edited:
Meanwhile, Artrell Hawkins is not a playmaker at free safety.

What's the obsession with "playmakers?"

Isn't Michael Vick a "playmaker?"

What is the obsession with a free safety who will turn 32 years old next November? Artrell Hawkins does not represent the future of the New England Patriots defense.

We can't have playmakers at every position. Hawkins was supposed to be one of two backup free safeties (with Jones). He's fine. There are better sets of safeties in the league. However, we are more than fine with Wilson, Harrison, Hawkins, Sanders, Jones, Mitchell and Andrews.

These are not a bunch of jags. At least five can start if necessary. I don't recall if Mitchell has been a starter. Four have started as part of very good patriots defenses. And just BTW, all are signed through 2007.
---------------

Compare the situation at safety to corner and linebacker, where we need to sign players just to filed a team, or at wide receiver, where our receiving corps is Caldwell, Gaffney, Jackson and Kight.

Meanwhile, Artrell Hawkins is not a playmaker at free safety.

We can't have playmakers at every position. Hawkins was supposed to be one of two backup free safeties (with Jones). He's fine. There are better sets of safeties in the league. However, we are more than fine with Wilson, Harrison, Hawkins, Sanders, Jones, Mitchell and Andrews.

These are not a bunch of jags. At least five can start if necessary. I don't recall if Mitchell has been a starter. Four have started as part of very good patriots defenses. And just BTW, all are signed through 2007.
---------------

Compare the situation at safety to corner and linebacker, where we need to sign players just to filed a team, or at wide receiver, where our receiving corps is Caldwell, Gaffney, Jackson and Kight.
Mel Mitchell and Willie Andrews are currently special teams players. Artrell Hawkins and Tebucky Jones are backups at safety. Eugene Wilson has not returned to form since his broken arm. Rodney Harrison and James Sanders are slotted as strong safeties on the New England Patriots roster. I honesty do not expect the New England Patriots to carry more than five safeties on the 2007 53-man roster. Predicting the depth chart for the New England Patriots at the safety position in 2007:

Free Safety
????????
Eugene Wilson or Artrell Hawkins

Strong Safety
Rodney Harrison
James Sanders

Special Teams
Willie Andrews or Mel Mitchell or Tebucky Jones

He's not a "playmaker" he's a "coachkiller." :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back