PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just a rumor, probably not true, but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
I'll post it anyway, since Jonathan Smith is now gone.

http://theblackhole.raiderworld.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264

What's up nation. Just got some stuff to put down for you guys. Well for starters lets start with the news i gotta report. Last night i seen Clayton and Salisbury(****) reporting on the fact New England might be looking at Jerry Porter to help them at wide-out because of the fact there receiveing corp is in shambles. So i called my cousin in Oakland who is a reporter and he had this stuff to say. He said that information was true, and he also said when the Patriots came to Oakland looking for a WR they had there hopes set on Jerry Porter. Now i know it has been reported they didnt want anything to do with JP but they did. My cousin said he knows a radio host in new england and the real reason the patriots called us was for JP. The thing that turned the Patriots off was the fact we were asking for a second round pick (not 2 first round picks, like it has been reported) The Patriots were offering a 3rd round and 6th round pick in this years draft, and that was the end of the JP conversation, but the tide slightly shifted over to Doug Gabriel, and we all know what happened there. The reason the Pats werent willing to part a 2nd rounder was the fact they thought they were still going to be able to get deion branch back into a Patriots uniform. Now we all know this isnt going to happen. And this could be great for us. My cousin knows a guy involved in the raiders organization, and these link told my cousin, that the Patriots were asking about JP again, and they were wondering if the 2nd round pick deal would still be on the table. Apparently, we now want the pick the Pats got from the Seahawks (2007 first rounder) becasue it will obviously be high anyway. So basically guys i have rambled on, but here is what i am saying. The Patriots and Raiders are very close on a deal, the only thing they are trying to compromise is either a second or first round pick. My cousin told me this probably wont happen until at least week 6 bc the Pats need to evaluate their talent at the wide receiver position over the next week or two. But guys the Pats are knocking on the door of the raiders and they want our headache. Guys we are going to get value for JP too, so dont expect him to be active at all bc he needs to stay healthy for trade value, bc gentlemman he does have alot of trade value. Also dont expect a release. Expect a trade to the Pats for a 1st or 2nd round pick. My cousin said they wont give up their first round pick, but if the raiders just give a little ground, we will be able to get rid of the only ******* on our team, get a good draft pick, and dump his salary on the Pats. Just wanted to let you guys know, and my cousin is always reliable. Dont be surprised you guys when this happens. You heard it from me first. Go Raiders, and God Bless the nation. Let me know what you guys think about the information.

I guess that more intriguing question is why you were lurking on a Raiders board of all places! :eek:

I'll take Jerry Porter on this team. Perhaps that New England magic will work on him the way it worked on Corey Dillon.

pats1 said:
I guess that more intriguing question is why you were lurking on a Raiders board of all places! :eek:

googled doug gabriel looking for his college scouting report.

I am pretty sure this is bogus, or at least I hope.

Our WRs corps for the future:
Chad Jackson, Doug Gabriel and Reche Caldwell. Not only is it going to be better than anything Brady has ever had, it's also going to be cheap.

I wouldn't mind if we drafted another stud in next year's apparent WR-packed draft, but for this year, I think we look fine. If we are going to add anyone, I'd rather it be simply to add depth behind the guys we already have. In that case, Bam might suffice.

I don't buy it. Why would the Pats wait til now to make something happen?

Last edited:
IMO this is just garbage time gossip.

Raiders eat the Bonus, unless some of it is roster bonus then the Pats would eat that portion.

Look, i know this probably isn't true, but i do believe the part about the Pats originally asking for Porter. Gabe was their starter in preseason, Porter was giving them problems and the Pats probably saw this as a chance to get him cheap, when they asked for too much then they probably went to Gabe.

I think the key phrase was getting information from a new england radio personality. I don't put any stock in the information that follows that statement

BradyManny2344 said:
Wow. That's all? What about bonus $ and how does that work in a trade?
It's actually weird, RotoWorld says :

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=830

"Signed a five-year, $21 million contract on 02/23/2005. The deal includes $7 million in guarantees, including a $4 million signing bonus. He will receive base salaries of $1 million (2006), $1 million (2007), $5.2 million (2008) and $6.4 million (2009). Porter can be an unrestricted free agent in 2010."

So the NFLPA site may be wrong. But any signing bonus accelerates to the Raiders in a trade.

I guess I do not understand why you guys want a WR who will sit on the sideline and laugh and applaud when his QB is sacked. Just to be a butte he parks in the owners space. The guy has serious talent and serious character issues. If the Pats were going to take that type of plunge then go all the way for Moss. As for those who try to compare Porter to Dillon, you have no clue about what you are talking about. Cory didn't show character flaw. He always gave 100%. Porter is a clown, he is not a Partiot. He does not deserve to wear our uniform.

i dont buy it either.. too many "my cousin knows this person" or this person here or a guy from here..

BelichickFan said:
Porter's upcoming salaries :

2007 1,000,000.00
2008 1,000,000.00
2009 1,000,000.00

http://www.nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=28798

Even if we gave up a #1, we'd get Porter for The Twig and save $5M per year for three years.
Be careful, unfortunately that site increasingly less valuable as times goes on, since so many players have roster and option bonuses as a part of their compensation. I have no clue if that is true for Porter.

Digger44 said:
I guess I do not understand why you guys want a WR who will sit on the sideline and laugh and applaud when his QB is sacked. Just to be a butte he parks in the owners space. The guy has serious talent and serious character issues. If the Pats were going to take that type of plunge then go all the way for Moss. As for those who try to compare Porter to Dillon, you have no clue about what you are talking about. Cory didn't show character flaw. He always gave 100%. Porter is a clown, he is not a Partiot. He does not deserve to wear our uniform.

That's somewhat revisionist history - there were plenty of people that thought Corey did have character problems. Granted, they were wrong, but let's not pretend that his reputation was a great one before he came to the Pats, character wise. Nor should we delude ourselves into thinking Corey was considered a "Pats player".

Having said that, I still don't want the trade to happen, but it has nothing to do with perceived problems in Jerry Porter's character, as much as it has to do with the fact that we don't need him.

Last edited:
What does NEM's cousin's fitness center owner say?

R_T26 said:
Raiders eat the Bonus, unless some of it is roster bonus then the Pats would eat that portion.

Look, i know this probably isn't true, but i do believe the part about the Pats originally asking for Porter. Gabe was their starter in preseason, Porter was giving them problems and the Pats probably saw this as a chance to get him cheap, when they asked for too much then they probably went to Gabe.
i don't see the raiders eating the bonus unless porter pays back some.

what i would do tho is propose a trade with the raiders:

pats give them seattle's #1 and pats #2 for porter and raiders #1(all upcoming year)

but the raiders are being held hostage, i wouldn't give in becuase they have no choice but to let porter go cheap. the issue is the signing bonus.

PatsChick87 said:
IMO this is just garbage time gossip.

Sometimes thats true, but there are some rumors that come from good sources and they end of being true.

I say that partially out of defense because last year one of my closest friends who grew up with one of the current Red Sox players told her that Theo Epstien was coming back as the GM....And I posted that here and got slammed repeatedly for it...

So Theo did come back and proved the rumor to be real. Now I look at what is being said and take a realists look at the possibilities and come to my own conclusion....

So lets just say for a second that this could be a good lead. Gabriel comes here and the Pats ask him what he thinks of Porter and Gabe gives a raving approval and says the guy is dying to get out of Oakland and would love to play for the Pats. This, to me, seems like a possibility.

Now we have to wait and see. But someone here brought up Dillon and he has been awesome and his reputation before he got here was terrible. Dillon just needed to get off a bad team and have something to play for......Like Jerry Porter.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend knows this guy who knows this kid who saw Ferris pass out at 31 flavors last night.

I guess it's pretty serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes