Welcome to PatsFans.com

Just a reminder about RFA's

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by supafly, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +908 / 7 / -7

#24 Jersey

For all of you guys b!tching about the Mike Wallace situation (like there ever was one), RFA's cannot even be contacted with or negotiated with until 5 full days until free agency.

That would mean Saturday at the earliest.

This would also hold up for someone like Hoyer, who may possibly draw interest from other teams.

Even though I think any rumors about giving up a 1st round pick AND setting the market for Wallace are completely ridiculous, it would be exciting nonetheless.

But just don't complain about it until the weekend, at the earliest.
  2. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 24 / -48

#50 Jersey

This was tweeted about by several of the pundits and the league office told them that this isn't true at all. RFAs can be contacted and negotiated with now.
  3. brady199

brady199 Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -1

Looks like they can be singed right away...

2012 NFL Free Agency Questions & Answers

Q. What is the time period for free agency signings this year?
    A. For restricted free agents, from March 13 to April 20. For unrestricted free agents who have received the June 1 tender from their prior Club, from March 13 to July 22 (or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later). For franchise players, from March 13 until the Tuesday following the 10th week of the regular season, November 13. If a franchise player does not sign by November 13, he must sit out the season. There are no transition player designations this year.
  4. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

I checked the new CBA and it seems that the dates were supposed to be set in September. They are generally different from the start of the league year, but things have been getting compacted since the lockout and the new CBA. League years used to start the first week in March. This year it was March 13th. The CBA only additionally stipulates that there must be a minimum of 35 days for RFA that ends 5 days prior to the draft. This year there are only 39 days between the start of the league year and there being 5 days before the draft (which has also been moved back with the new Thursday/Friday first two rounds evening format).

Earlier league calendars all had the 17th as the start of the RFA signing period, but those were probably based on simple math and going with 35 days.
  5. UK_Pat37

UK_Pat37 Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 5 / -8

#12 Jersey

RFAs can be contacted straight away. I don;'t know where the pundits got their info from.

IMO Danny Amendola was spotted at Patriots Place last night......
  6. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +623 / 11 / -6

What I've seen is that negotiations can begin, but teams can't sign other teams' RFAs to offer sheets until the 17th.

So was Michael Vick in 2009. :snob:
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  7. signbabybrady

signbabybrady On the Roster

Ratings:
    +180 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

IMO stands for in my opinion right? Either he was there or wasn't what's opinion got to do with it?

Also I heard he was at The Place in Boston not patriot place and he has ties to the area.
  8. madmike77

madmike77 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It wouldn't really be fair to open RFAs up 5 days after FA.

No RFA would get targeted because there's no guarantee a team trying to sign them would actually be able to get them. And a team looking at an RFA would lose out on potential UFAs in the meantime.

I still see Wallace as unlikely. He'll cost a fortune in cap space and the 1st round pick. And the Steelers also opened up another $3 million or so in cap space by having Hampton take a paycut. If they re-do another contract or two they can get into the range where they can match a Wallace deal - it's just too risky to look at Wallace as a solution in my opinion.
  9. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

That's still the case though as once you sign one to a tender you're on the hook for the cap pending the 7 days the original team has to make up it's mind on a matching offer. Lots of teams avoid RFA's simply because they don't want to be tied up waiting on one for a week while other targets get gobbled up. Teams are more inclined to consider them after the first wave or two of FA has passed.
  10. madmike77

madmike77 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah that makes it tough - makes it seem like bidding on an RFA is a last-ditch desperation move if you lost out on the UFAs you wanted.
  11. JMC00

JMC00 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +784 / 14 / -12

No he wasn't
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  12. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 24 / -48

#50 Jersey

Your sarcasm meter must need new batteries..
  13. yopats

yopats Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Let's not forget that RFA's have the window only open until April 21st. Right before the draft.

The pats could be waiting to see which RFA's might be ripe for the pickin.. Let's say Baltimore commits x amount to the salary cap in the next month. The odd's of them matching a Pats offer is much less..

I would not be surprised to see us take that route with Wallace, Webb..
  14. DW Toys

DW Toys Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -2

Better and more productive use of the first rounders BB is so anticipating trading away.
    DW Toys
  15. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -3

I believe the five day period was the case in the old CBA, but got overlooked or whatever and is not the case now. Jeff Howe and Mike Reiss have said that they checked with NFL officials and RFAs do not have a waiting period.

Twitter/Jeff Howe

Update on a discrepancy in free agency dateline: Restricted free agents can negotiate now and don't have to wait til Saturday.

I'm not sure why I keep seeing March 17 on league notes, but the NFL told me March 17 has no significance of any kind for RFAs.

That's a long way of saying Brian Hoyer and Mike Wallace have been free to negotiate since yesterday and don't have to wait til Saturday.​

For what it's worth Howe also says that if the Pats were to sign another team's RFA then they would have to give up the #27 pick, not the #31 pick.

Mike Wallace, Brian Hoyer Among Restricted Free Agents Bound by Tricky Rules - NFL - NESN.com
  16. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +908 / 7 / -7

#24 Jersey

Why our 27th?

They must have rules that state you give up the lower pick?

I have been assuming the 31st.
  17. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -3

I thought the same as you and the way Howe explained it, it is the team's "own or better", which means in this case the Patriots would give up their 'better' draft pick: the 27th. This may again be a case of something being altered in the new CBA, I don't know.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.