PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Junior Seau

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I will admit that when the Patriots signed Junior I wasn't exactly thrilled. I had never been a Junior fan and thought that he was overrated as a player.

Yet, I did say and think that if Junior could come here and fill a role and not free lance, as he has been known ot do, it could be a decent pickup. No one would be expecting him to play at a Pro Bowl level.

Well, up until this time he has been a really good addition to this team. He has come in and filled that role and has seem to have bought into the Patriots way of doing things. He has not free lanced and has done an excellent job.

Let's hope that he keeps it up & stays injury free. Because he has become a valuable addition to a very good defensive team. :rocker:

I couldn't agree more. I was excited about the junior signing simply because i thought he was better than any of our LB's bar Tedy and Vrabel. He's been doing a great job not just on the field but the fire he contributes off of it.

Definately Well Said.I was actually pretty excited to see him signed,As I felt he would make an immediate impact.Despite what others were saying.I was sticking to my guns.He may even play next year.That'd be great!

PATSNUTme said:
I will admit that when the Patriots signed Junior I wasn't exactly thrilled. I had never been a Junior fan and thought that he was overrated as a player.

Yet, I did say and think that if Junior could come here and fill a role and not free lance, as he has been known ot do, it could be a decent pickup. No one would be expecting him to play at a Pro Bowl level.

Well, up until this time he has been a really good addition to this team. He has come in and filled that role and has seem to have bought into the Patriots way of doing things. He has not free lanced and has done an excellent job.

Let's hope that he keeps it up & stays injury free. Because he has become a valuable addition to a very good defensive team. :rocker:

He's too slow to freelance! :)

Seriously, he's been a great addition -- tough, disciplined and competitive, as well as obviously a great locker room presence. Sure, the team has given up some running yards, but the middle has been far more solid than it was last year at this stage. I would like to see more pace and explosiveness at linebacker to improve our pass rush especially, but that isn't a criticism of Junior. I think of him more as filling the Ted Johnson role that Chad and Monty conspicuously failed to.

I agree..he has been done just great..and I think pacing himself fpr the long haul. Yes, I guess I was skeptical at first..and then saw him as the olfder vet who could play solid and fill in. I agree he's the TJ type of guy although he can cover as well..so in many ways he's different. I really love all he has done and I only hope he stays uninjured and doesn't wear himself out for the run later in the year. Hats off to how he has filled in..a GREAT addition!

When he was signed one of my concerns at that time was ILB. I was glad to
see that is the role they gave him and he has done very well. If he was
used at OLB I think the reluts may have been differnt. His leadership was
never a question and neither was his work ethic. Just in this system with
the mental demands of the system there was a question mark if he'd pick
it up. No problem there .... and according to BB he is getting better.

Last edited:
Pats726 said:
I agree..he has been done just great..and I think pacing himself fpr the long haul. Yes, I guess I was skeptical at first..and then saw him as the olfder vet who could play solid and fill in. I agree he's the TJ type of guy although he can cover as well..so in many ways he's different. I really love all he has done and I only hope he stays uninjured and doesn't wear himself out for the run later in the year. Hats off to how he has filled in..a GREAT addition!

He will be capable of playing a couple really great games when we need it the most toward the playoffs, after learning the system. We need the type players that are burning with hunger when we get to the playoffs, just to remind the other guys of how much it really matters.......

He has played well, beyond expectations. Big improvement from last year. Some of his weaknesses were exposed against Denver, on several key 3rd down plays he was not fast enough to chase down Bell or Plummer. The Pats system protects him and I am happy with his production.

Minny will be a huge test for the patriots defensive right (Seymour?, Colvin and Seau). With Seymour questionable Colvin will have his hands full, his run contain has been questionable and Seau will have Hutchinson in his face all game. On paper this is a hude advantage to Minny, especially if Seymours sits.

It should be a great match up as BB is good at taking away the other teams strength and will likely use formations that force the Vikes to run to their right... Childress is an experienced coach, especially on offense and he will make his adjustments... Let the chess game begin.

Last edited:
Thought I heard he was gonna be on the Jim Rome radio show today. If anyone catches that, please post, I'll be away from the radio.

bishbash said:
Thought I heard he was gonna be on the Jim Rome radio show today. If anyone catches that, please post, I'll be away from the radio.
I was going to post that also. It has to be on between now and 12:00 PDT, when Rome's show ends. He updates his interview guest list now and then as far as when he expects them to call in, at least in which hour. I'll try to catch it, and post. Just mentioned Seau again but didn't say which hour.

I remember all the pundits saying this was a "desperation" move by the Pats, and I wasn't too excited myself as I thought Miami would have kept him if he was still any good. It has been a great surprise! He still celebrates too much after a routine tackle, but if that is his only downside, I'll take it!

PatsDeb said:
I remember all the pundits saying this was a "desperation" move by the Pats, and I wasn't too excited myself as I thought Miami would have kept him if he was still any good. It has been a great surprise! He still celebrates too much after a routine tackle, but if that is his only downside, I'll take it!

I think all of us here have learned not to take the Dolphins personnel move seriously :D

PatsDeb said:

I'm glad he gets excited about routine tackles. Last year, the Pats slouched around on defense for several games, with no emotion. I want somebody to be the most fired up guy on D. At the end of the year, he will be the most fired up guy going into the playoffs.

Injuries may have hurt them last year, but they also seemed to be without any fired up guy getting excited about routine plays.

Last edited:
PatsDeb said:

Ya know..If I Can tackle or hit someone when Im that age.I will dance and and celebrate as well...:cool:

Junior Seau interview. First of all, the KNBR feed I was listening to got cut off for about a minute of it, near the end. Not Jr. on his cell phone, but the station itself got cut off. Unusual. What I got:

Rome introduced him as 10 time pro-bowler and a bunch of other stuff, Jr. corrected him that it is 12. :D

Q: What's it like playing for the Pats? A: great locker room, great system, in fact, he mentioned system about five times.

Q: What makes the system so great? A: Kraft, Belichick, predictable, but he appreciated the fact that the Patriots were willing and able to call people in to help, and they would accept. He said if the call, 2 weeks before the season started, had come from anyone else, he probably would have continued his retirement, which had really started last November, when he was injured. The only reason he decided to come back is to help win a super bowl.

Q: You used to be "the guy" in the locker room in San Diego, how is it to have others in that role in N.E. A: No problem, he knew that, doesn't want to step on any toes, and feels he still has to prove himself every day.

Lost feed here, and when it came back, they were talking about "the Junior Seau Foundation", in SD, believe, but they were done with that anyway.

One last bit, Rome asked about the cold weather, and Seau said yesterday's practice was the coldest he'd ever seen. The other guys said 'that was nothing'.

Anybody else around the country catch the part between my "Lost feed" words and the foundation? I realize there isn't much here, in my post. I wonder if he was asked about next year. Oh, he did also say that if he had ever been on a SB winner, he wouldn't have made this comeback.

Edit, one other thing, he mentioned that he was given a gameball after the first game. I didn't know that, but I'm in CA, which is like another country sometimes. :D

Last edited:
edgecy said:
I think all of us here have learned not to take the Dolphins personnel move seriously :D

True enough, although they seem to have better judgment on defensive personnel than offensive.

I don't mind a guy being fired up - Bruschi is always fired up (except when he first came back last year), but acting like you've just gotten a 15 yd. sack when all you did was tackle the guy after a 5 yd. gain on 1st down is a bit much for me. But, as I said, it is a small complaint.

For an ILB that has lost a step or three, this might be the best defense he could hope to play in. The more the Patriots ask him to move forward, the better he'll look.

Patriots4Ever said:
Ya know..If I Can tackle or hit someone when Im that age.I will dance and and celebrate as well...:cool:

Exactly!!!!

I am actually looking forward to seeing that look on his face when he holds the Lombardi aloft---ala the Rodney pic from his first ring:cool:

Patriots4Ever said:

If I could, I'd be 8 years younger. Thanks for rubbing it in!

mtbykr said:
Exactly!!!!

I am actually looking forward to seeing that look on his face when he holds the Lombardi aloft---ala the Rodney pic from his first ring:cool:

They will both be holding the Lombardi together high and mighty.

That would be a great picture. Don't ya think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back