PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Junior Seau the fullback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julius

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Just had to start a thread not related to stealing signals. I just watched the end of the the Jets -Pats game and noticed that Seau and Vrabel were in on our goaline offense. I loved seeing Seau diving over the goalline blocking for Evans on that last touchdown. How long until we hand off to him and let him score a touchdown?

Just had to start a thread not related to stealing signals. I just watched the end of the the Jets -Pats game and noticed that Seau and Vrabel were in on our goaline offense. I loved seeing Seau diving over the goalline blocking for Evans on that last touchdown. How long until we hand off to him and let him score a touchdown?

I also remember them putting big Sey in there at fullback a while back and he got hurt on the play. And is the staff saying that Seau is the 2nd best fullback blocker when the starting fullback is slated to carry the ball?

Having one LB in at the goal line, let alone TWO (Vrabel AND Seau were in there) is a stupid move, bordering on reckless, IMO. BB knows more in this split-second than I'll know in a lifetime, but given the age and depth at LB - and the value of those two players - I think it's simply too cute by a half and not a good idea, on the whole.

Yeah playing Seau and Vrabel is a risk but I have to admit it fires me up to see a 38 year old future HOF linebacker launching himself over the goaline to block for Evans. This is football

More than just scoring a TD in garbage time of a blowout win. BB said this was something Seau wanted to do and I figure it was a way to reward him for his hard work last season and dedication in the off season by getting him involved on a scoring play. He looked good doing it :rocker:

Hey Folks,

Its nice to see a discussion on something other that the stupid tape thing. Jr has been an interesting choice as a fullback way back to his HS days in Oceanside CA. All through USC and his glory days with the Chargers.

PHIL the NH Bolts fans (I think there are 2 now)

I'm sure Seau and Vrabel play on offense because they very much want to do so. Somehow, I don't have same feeling about risk to them as to Seymour. Seymour never belonged on offense.

When we are up by 3 TDs on the chargers I see no harm in Seau bringing in a score...

I don't give a crap what "the players" want. What is this, F-ing Pete Carroll? **** McPherson? I don't like the decision at all, but I'd REALLY hate it if that were the reason.

I'm sure Seau and Vrabel play on offense because they very much want to do so. Somehow, I don't have same feeling about risk to them as to Seymour. Seymour never belonged on offense.

I'd say they play on offense because they're incredible students of the game who as a consequence are no-apologies successes at a different position, to within the limits of their considerable physical abilities. In Vrabel's case, that includes great hands, which is probably why he gets the nod over stronger guys who surely are at least somewhat better blockers.

But you're right that Seymour never looked comfortable at FB. The penalties are what got to me even more than that he hurt himself. Yeah, he has both penalties and injuries on defense, but the penalties seemed to be from mental errors of the sort he doesn't make playing DL.

As for whether they like offense -- Vrabel and Seau just like football. And by the way, they seem to like BB a lot and vice-versa. By way of contrast, Seymour doesn't seem to like BB as a person at all. None of the stories about Seymour being good in the locker room involve interaction w/ the coaching staff (that's not true for Vrabel and Seau). Seymour is the one who rushed to correctly say the Pats were "outcoached" by the Jets. His holdout seemed pretty sullen. He was evidently POed about his benching in connection with missing practice for a funeral. Etc.

Last edited:
Perhaps BB knew what was transpiring "off" the field at this point and was just starting to mess with mangini. I bet if Vinnie T was on the roster, BB would have sent him in to score a TD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes