Junior Seau open to mid-season return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
On if he’s officially retired or not:

“I’ll definitely look at it at the end of October or November. Let’s put it that way.

Also, on a pet topic of mine, the repeated retirement:

On why it’s so hard for guys like himself and Brett Favre to decide to walk away and then stick to it:

“Because you still can play the game. That’s the only reason. I mean, to allow other decision makers besides your faith when there’s an opportunity, I think we’re always going to hold on to that opportunity as long as we can. And it’s not like we’re hurting anyone. What I’m doing is basically just surfing and enjoying life with the kids and carrying on as if I am retired. But if they happen to need me towards the end of the season like they did last year then I’ll definitely look at it.”

Sports Radio Interviews Blog Archive Junior Seau Still Unsure About His Future

At least he doesn't go about it like Favre does.

But please, we need younger bodies. Not older. If we're injured and desperate, I'm sure we'll call em if he wants it.

I really, really hope that we don't end up in a situation where we need him.

EVER

10 char

I love Seau and he is a HOFer but please do not sign him back up,If we do then its because the defense is in terrible trouble with injuries. - We need to step forward on the youth movement instead of getting older.

I hope PATs don't need him
but on the other hand I'd sure like to see him get a ring.

I hope PATs don't need him
but on the other hand I'd sure like to see him get a ring.

:agree:

My thoughts exactly.

I really, really hope that we don't end up in a situation where we need him.

As long as its Bruschi he's replacing, I'd be ok with it. Obviously if it's Mayo we're screwed.

Only want him back if it's a last minute, him or nobody, win or lose situation...his time is well passed but he might have something left for a couple of games at most.

This guy wants a ring so bad. Maybe if bruschi goes down we can pick him up and use him in the locker room.

Comparing Seau's situation to the neverending Favre melodrama is apples and oranges.

Comparing Seau's situation to the neverending Favre melodrama is apples and oranges.

Yea, One guy holds NFL Teams as hostages and the other will play for only ONE team and only IF they need him at the end of the season.

If Farve left the Packers and said that he would come back if needed - then you could make the comparison.

Seau's commitment is more to Bill and the team then it is to his ego - unlike Farve.

Yea, One guy holds NFL Teams as hostages and the other will play for only ONE team and only IF they need him at the end of the season.

If Farve left the Packers and said that he would come back if needed - then you could make the comparison.

Seau's commitment is more to Bill and the team then it is to his ego - unlike Farve.

You mean the Favre that wanted to stay with just one team, but wasn't wanted there? The Favre who then wanted to go to one other specific team but was prevented from doing so by that same first team?

Seau was a free agent and Favre wasn't. That's the difference.

You mean the Favre that wanted to stay with just one team, but wasn't wanted there? The Favre who then wanted to go to one other specific team but was prevented from doing so by that same first team?

Seau was a free agent and Favre wasn't. That's the difference.

We're also talking about the guy who was basically holding his team hostage with his "Will I retire or won't I" routine (which I've called the Favre Annual Retirement Tango).

We're also talking about the guy who was basically holding his team hostage with his "Will I retire or won't I" routine (which I've called the Favre Annual Retirement Tango).

Basically a good acronym. However, it suggests a duration almost at the opposite extreme from the real one. :)

Ah man! You gotta love junior. He's a warrior. Just won't give up. It would be cool if he can mentor the younger guys. Thats what we need, more older guys teaching the younger guys. Hope we dont need them to play D thats all!

On why it’s so hard for guys like himself and Brett Favre to decide to walk away and then stick to it:

Massive difference between Seau and Favre. One craves the attention and one is chilling out in the background having fun, having told a certain team if they need a favour he'd help them out.

Last edited:
I love Seau and he is a HOFer but please do not sign him back up,If we do then its because the defense is in terrible trouble with injuries. - We need to step forward on the youth movement instead of getting older.

I truly believe this is the year we will have no significant injuries on defense!

... we didn't even make it into camp this year before one of the linebackers lost an ACL.

Hahaha, man, Junior is loved out here. The guy just chills on the beach, works out, and surfs pretty much all day. Some of my friends that are out a little closer to him see him regularly, and can attest that that's pretty much what his day seems to consist of. If the Pats need him, he'll suit up, and if not that's cool too. There is absolutely no drama, no vindictiveness, none of any of that. And the drama and vindictiveness behind all of it is what irks me a little with the Favre situation, so I don't really see them as very comparable.

I truly believe this is the year we will have no significant injuries on defense!

... we didn't even make it into camp this year before one of the linebackers lost an ACL.

Well, getting younger tends to help with injuries. In 2007, our starting LBs were Thomas (30) and Bruschi (34) inside rotating with Seau (38) and Colvin (30) and Vrabel (32) outside. Average age = 32.8

This year, it looks like we're going to be starting Thomas (32) and Woods (27) outside, with Mayo (23) and Bruschi/Guyton (36/23) rotating inside. Average age = 28.2.

When you subtract 4+ years out of the average, I don't think it's unrealistic to be hopeful for fewer LB injuries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye