PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Junior Seau, 7 others in 2015 HoF

Status
Not open for further replies.

RecoveringCowboy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12257443/pro-football-hall-fame-elects-class-2015

Former San Diego Chargers linebacker Junior Seau and Kansas City Chiefs guard Will Shields, both 12-time Pro Bowl selections during their NFL careers, were elected into the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2015 on Saturday.

Seau, in his first year of eligibility, Shields, former Pittsburgh Steelers running back and current ESPN analyst Jerome Bettis, wide receiver Tim Brown and defensive end Charles Haley were the five modern-era enshrinees selected in the meeting of the Hall's board of selectors.

The Class of 2015 also will include formerMinnesota Vikings center Mick Tingelhoff, who played 240 games in his career and was the seniors committee nominee, as well as two nominees in the contributors category -- former Buffalo Bills,Carolina Panthers and Indianapolis Colts general manager and current ESPN analyst Bill Polian, as well as longtime NFL executive Ron Wolf.

The board of selectors began the day with 15 modern-era finalists, which were trimmed first to 10 finalists and then to five in the daylong meeting. A finalist must receive 80 percent of the vote from the 46 selectors to be selected for enshrinement.​

at least the Hall shyt on Kurt "bagger boy" Warner

Glad to see Seau get in. As well as seeing Haley and Tim Brown finally get in.

So glad to see Junior Seau gain entrance to the Hall.

Also happy to see Mick Tingelhoff finally get in.

Will Shields and Ron Wolf were well deserving too.

Not happy to see Bill Polian get in, though I will admit that is primarily due to looking at things from the perspective of a fan of the Patriots.

Jerome Bettis is one I disagree with. I never once considered him to be best RB in the NFL at anytime in his career. He was in the top-five in rushing yards and yards from scrimmage only three times, and in the top-five in rushing touchdowns just once. While you do have to give him a tip of the hat for his incredible durability - seven times he had over 290 rushing attempts - I felt his final career stats spoke more about longevity than anything else. That being said, you can't completely dismiss a player with 91 rushing touchdowns (plus nine more in the playoffs), finishing his career ranked sixth in career rushing yards, tenth in career rushing touchdowns, and fifth in career touches.

at least the Hall shyt on Kurt "bagger boy" Warner

Probably blaming the Pats for that right now. "If I would have had 2 SB I would have been in"

Or maybe if you didn't throw an INT at the goal line right before halftime that James Harrison took back 100 yards for a TD you'd have another SB

So glad to see Junior Seau gain entrance to the Hall.

Also happy to see Mick Tingelhoff finally get in.

Will Shields and Ron Wolf were well deserving too.

Not happy to see Bill Polian get in, though I will admit that is primarily due to looking at things from the perspective of a fan of the Patriots.

Jerome Bettis is one I disagree with. I never once considered him to be best RB in the NFL at anytime in his career. He was in the top-five in rushing yards and yards from scrimmage only three times, and in the top-five in rushing touchdowns just once. While you do have to give him a tip of the hat for his incredible durability - seven times he had over 290 rushing attempts - I felt his final career stats spoke more about longevity than anything else. That being said, you can't completely dismiss a player with 91 rushing touchdowns (plus nine more in the playoffs), finishing his career ranked sixth in career rushing yards, tenth in career rushing touchdowns, and fifth in career touches.

Yep.

Bettis was a good productive back who played a lot of years, nothing more nothing less. I never thought he was a great back. Was never the best at his position at any time. He put in a lot of years as a RB by committee guy. AFAIK he never led the league in any rushing category. I never really worried about facing him whenever the Pats played the Steelers.

Putting him in the hall is a stretch IMO.

In regards to a HOF player, while taking in consideration the eras played in, I think a true HOFer would be someone you would never pass over in the draft, if you knew in advance how good they would be.

Using that criteria I don't think Bettis is an automatic draft choice; certainly not in the 1st round.

I will give him just credit for having one of the best RB dances in celebration of a 2 yard gain.

I like Kurt Warner, but between his awesome start at the Rams and finish in Arizona he had a problem - being a backup to Eli Manning in the middle. Words Kurt might regret: "Eli is not consistent enough to make HoF"

Then he competes next year with Brett Favre.

I agree. Ever since Buffalo he has been a bitter sour grapes guy that I just don't think has been good for the game. Probably a little biased because I'm a Pats fan but I have found his contempt for the Patriots and him being on the rules committee to constantly tinker with the rules to tailor to his team to be offensive and downright a disregard to the spirit of the game itself. To each his own.

Glad to see Seau get in. As well as seeing Haley and Tim Brown finally get in.

Those 3 were well deserved. Though I never liked all those dances Seau did as a Charger his high energy and accolades could not be denied. He was always around the ball and one of the best LBs in the game. He was a Hall of famer even if he retired before he decided to play for the Dolphins and Patriots. Those years just added more onto his resume.

Surprised it took Haley so long to get in. 100 sacks and 5 Super Bowls ought to do it every time. I guess the media really made him pay to piper and finally decided let him in.

I thought Tim Brown went in right around of when he should of. He had a great career but certainly wasn't a first ballot in my book. Neither was Harrison who I'm sure will get in within the next 2 or 3 try's.

I'm with a lot of you. I honestly think Warner if he is lucky is a border line HOFer. No way in hell he was first ballot and I don't think he deserves to get in on his next 5 try's if you ask me.

Big congrats to Ron Wolf. Well deserved.

Warner is not a hall of famer IMO.

Maybe if the AHole hadn't thrown that pick-6 at the end of the first half in SB43, then I would give him more consideration. That one feckin play cost Arizona the game.

Boo hoo kurt.
Bettis bleugh.
Junior yay. Hope junior is rooting for us today, whereever he is

Last edited:
When I first became interested in football I was about 9 years old. My parents were divorced and I lived in MN, and my MA dad had not fully indoctrinated me yet into Pats-only fandom.

Junior Seau was my favorite player when I was that age. His boundless energy, his incredible enthusiasm for the game and for his hometown, I just loved everything about him. I'll never forget how happy I was when the Patriots signed him. Remember his 2 Int game vs Cleveland where on the second one he literally raised the ball above his head in celebration as he ran the ball back? The sheer joy with which he played, I'll never forget it.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I actually cried on the day that he committed suicide. The only other deaths that have brought me to tears were direct family members. I was so saddened that someone who was such an unbelievable bringer of joy and happiness to those who followed him could have been so unhappy, that I almost felt guilty to have felt that joy when it may have been at his expense.

I eulogized him on Patsfans when he died, and I celebrate him now. Buddy Buddy, you'll always be my favorite linebacker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes