PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

June Pre Training Camp Predictions - Pick Your Suprise & Disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hindsight 20/20, it may have made sense to keep Tebow last season, we finished the year with some bottom of the roster players that were practice squad extensions. Tebow could have made a position change to an H-back or maybe developed as a QB enough to make them comfortable with him backing up Brady and therefore allowing them to put off drafting a QB for another year or two.

The rumors and reports are that Tebow does not wish to change positions, and wants to try to make it as a QB, so I don't think he'd have moved to H-back. I also don't see how he'd have possibly developed enough to have anyone feel comfortable about him backing up Tom Brady. This is a system where accuracy and timing are extremely important, not to mention the ability to read defenses pre-snap and adjust accordingly on the fly.

I didn't see any of those traits in Tebow's NFL career whatsoever, aside from throwing jump balls to Demarius Thomas at times in Denver under one-on-one man coverage. Since that isn't the kind of offense that we have in place here, I don't think Tim Tebow would've made the transition very well.

That said, it was great to bring him in, give him a chance, and give him some advice on what he can work on in the future. He seems like a great guy, but I don't think he was a very good fit for QB--particularly in this specific system. Here's wishing him the best in the future.

Cutting Arrington results in a bigger cap charge than he will cost this year. That's the general definition of a negative cap hit. What's changed is that it's got the benefit of being post-June 1st, so that cap hit is spread over 2 seasons, which changes the normally negative hit into two smaller hits, thereby avoiding a negative impact in 2014, at the expense of lost 2015 cap space.

Had he been cut on May 31st, the Patriots' 2014 cap space would have been smaller, not larger.

Thanks, Deus. As you said yesterday, the post 6/1 aspect seems to come into place. Unfortunately, my knowledge of cap situations is limited, so I wasn't seeming to word my question to AJ as well as I should have. I did however, give it the old college try.

I appreciate the information provided by you, Miguel, and AJ, and I hope to pick up a better understanding of the finer nuances in the future.

The rumors and reports are that Tebow does not wish to change positions, and wants to try to make it as a QB, so I don't think he'd have moved to H-back. I also don't see how he'd have possibly developed enough to have anyone feel comfortable about him backing up Tom Brady. This is a system where accuracy and timing are extremely important, not to mention the ability to read defenses pre-snap and adjust accordingly on the fly.

I didn't see any of those traits in Tebow's NFL career whatsoever, aside from throwing jump balls to Demarius Thomas at times in Denver under one-on-one man coverage. Since that isn't the kind of offense that we have in place here, I don't think Tim Tebow would've made the transition very well.

That said, it was great to bring him in, give him a chance, and give him some advice on what he can work on in the future. He seems like a great guy, but I don't think he was a very good fit for QB--particularly in this specific system. Here's wishing him the best in the future.
His unwillingness to change positions will likely be the thing that prevents him from ever having a professional football career. Sometimes playing the game on some level is better than not playing it at all.

His unwillingness to change positions will likely be the thing that prevents him from ever having a professional football career. Sometimes playing the game on some level is better than not playing it at all.

I fully agree with you, but that's his decision for whatever reason, and he seems to be okay with that. More power to him, I suppose--and good luck to him in his future endeavors.

Thanks, Deus. As you said yesterday, the post 6/1 aspect seems to come into place. Unfortunately, my knowledge of cap situations is limited, so I wasn't seeming to word my question to AJ as well as I should have. I did however, give it the old college try.

I appreciate the information provided by you, Miguel, and AJ, and I hope to pick up a better understanding of the finer nuances in the future.

The 6/1 difference is why I recently changed my cap pages.

Including the 6/1 difference on the individual cap pages is a lot of work and I am not sure that people actually look at them a great deal.

Cutting Arrington results in a bigger cap charge than he will cost this year. That's the general definition of a negative cap hit. What's changed is that it's got the benefit of being post-June 1st, so that cap hit is spread over 2 seasons, which changes the normally negative hit into two smaller hits, thereby avoiding a negative impact in 2014, at the expense of lost 2015 cap space.

Had he been cut on May 31st, the Patriots' 2014 cap space would have been smaller, not larger.

This is not correct.
The cap charge beyond 2014 is the same whether he is cut now, later or never.
If he is cut we pay $1,000,000 of his $2,000,000 salary, and save the other $1,000,000.
All other non-salary money is going to be charged in 2015 and/or beyond regardless.

So cutting Arrington results in a LOWER cap charge than he will cost this year.

Another way to look at it is that there are cap hits from bonusses that will be charged over time regardless of whether he is on the roster or not,and they are identical.
Additionally, he will either be paid 2mill (if kept) or 1mil (if cut) in 2014.
So keeping him costs exactly 1 mill more than cutting him.

You are confused in thinking that the distribution of the unamortized bonus makes the unamortized bonus amount change, and that is not correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back