June Pre Training Camp Predictions - Pick Your Suprise & Disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Here's a thread that I thought would at least be a time killer for the remainder of the weekend. Every year the expectations are high for some players who we all think will do well, but ultimately end up looking for work by the end of August. Then there's the other side where we see guys we never expected make the team and end up earning a roster spot and contributing.

So in this thread do the following:

Pick your surprise player,

and

your player who you feel may end up disappointing us and not make the roster.

@Ian are you testing me...:D
Stay on track with this one, I just killed that other thread, so now we're talking about who does, or doesn't make it out of training camp that no one expected.

Stay on track with this one, I just killed that other thread, so now we're talking about who does, or doesn't make it out of training camp that no one expected.
I will.

I think a surprise player will be Michael Buchanan. I think he will push Ninkovich for reps.

My disappointment is Will Smith I think that he will miss the final roster.

Surprise player: Daxton Swanson, How about the idea of Daxton starting opposite of Revis opening day in Miami. With Dennard not participating and Arringtons struggles on the outside well documented, he has a real chance if he continues his performance into the pre-season, at least until Browner returns from suspension.

Disappointment: saving this one for a little later.

Despite some judgmental-ish poking at the homers for their level of interest in the likes of Finch.. I'm none the less quite excited for several of the UDFA's hovering at the bottom of the WR, RB and CB roster.

But I'm rooting for Finch and Swanson most of all.

Let's not forget that there IS gold to be found in the UDFA market: Wes Welker, James Harrison, Jeff Garcia, Tony Romo (cough), Jeff Saturday, Rod Smith, Arian Foster, Brian Waters, Antonio Gates, Kurt Warner.

And hopefully people will soon be add Kenbrell Thompkins to that list of UDFA mentionables.. :D

..and dare I add Finch and Swanson too ;)

Last edited:
Surprise: Dax Swanson. From out of nowhere shows his big play ability translates to the NFL.
Disappointment: Armstead. How many grains of sand left in the hourglass?

Surprise player: Daxton Swanson, How about the idea of Daxton starting opposite of Revis opening day in Miami. With Dennard not participating and Arringtons struggles on the outside well documented, he has a real chance if he continues his performance into the pre-season, at least until Browner returns from suspension.
I think you are onto something with Swanson. I don't think he would start though, I think Dennard will be back by then and if he isn't I would anticipate Logan Ryan starting.

I think you are onto something with Swanson. I don't think he would start though, I think Dennard will be back by then and if he isn't I would anticipate Logan Ryan starting.
suprirsingly enough I see, Ryan being the nickel. I think his skillset is best suited for the slot and thats where I see him being the most effective. It also allows him to blitz and I feel like he's your best bet outside of Revis for getting to the QB from the corner position.

I agree though, Dennard should be back and he has the upper hand in any camp battle for that other starting spot.

suprirsingly enough I see, Ryan being the nickel. I think his skillset is best suited for the slot and thats where I see him being the most effective. It also allows him to blitz and I feel like he's your best bet outside of Revis for getting to the QB from the corner position.

I agree though, Dennard should be back and he has the upper hand in any camp battle for that other starting spot.
I also agree with you that Ryan fits best in the nickel. Entering the NFL I scouted him and found him to be very similar to Casey Hayward who was amazing as rookie playing nickel CB for Green Bay.

As for Swanson I was extremely high on him predraft. He transferred in college which threw off his draft stock but he has tremendous upside. I was surprised he didn't stick with the 49ers or Colts last season.

First off to be clear, I'm guessing based basically upon nothing and reporter speculation upon nothing that can't really see.

Kembrell Thomkins ends up the #1 receiver or he gets cut.
In the biggest disappointment, Mallet gets traded for only a seventh. Further reports make it clear it is a conditional 7th.

Surprise for me will be the battle for nickle back. Logan Ryan and Dennard much cheaper option than Arrington at 4 million a year. Does not help he was benched in Jets game.

Like most of you I am rooting for Armstead, but it seems like it might not workout.

James White will get snaps as the Patriots starting RB at some point during the season and I fear Armond Armstead will be one of those what might have been players if his run of disappointing luck continues.

From what I read, Thomkins is really impressing so far. Doesn't mean much, but these camps are almost all passing, so the writers get a chance to check outnew and veteran players. I had thought he might not make it, but it looks like he's making a bid for playing time and not by default.

Diappointment is Armstead. Time is not on his side.

I'll wait for the non receivers and unknowns until we get a chance to look at them. Way too early to judge Swanson IMO.

I think Thompkins is going to look unstoppable again this camp. Not saying anything about the regular season.

ROSTER SURPRISES BEFORE THE REGULAR SEASON
Disappointment - Armstead
Surprise To Make The Roster - Swanson (at least for 4 weeks)
==========
Of course, neither of these would be surprises to folks who post here regularly. :)

From what I read, Thomkins is really impressing so far. Doesn't mean much, but these camps are almost all passing, so the writers get a chance to check outnew and veteran players. I had thought he might not make it, but it looks like he's making a bid for playing time and not by default.

Diappointment is Armstead. Time is not on his side.

I'll wait for the non receivers and unknowns until we get a chance to look at them. Way too early to judge Swanson IMO.

I have the same two players.

Kenbrell Thompkins did well despite the usual rookie stuff. I think he will be a good reciever who will add another dimension in the red zone.

The little bits of Armstead news we've read since he joined the team hasn't been positive. I really want to see him on the field, but I can't help but doubt we will.

I think Thompkins is going to look unstoppable again this camp. Not saying anything about the regular season.
Thompkins biggest issue as a rookie was catching the football. I'm not sure if that was rookie nerves, poor technique, or just bad hands. If it is a case where he has bad hands I'm not sure how much that can be improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back