Welcome to PatsFans.com

June Pointer died today

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by JackPMiller, Apr 12, 2006.

1. JackPMiller

JackPMiller On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...wr,0,5583489.story?coll=la-home-entertainment

June Pointer of the Pointer Sisters Dies at 52
    From Associated Press
    11:20 AM PDT, April 12, 2006

June Pointer, the youngest of the Pointer Sisters -- known for the '70s and '80s hits "I'm So Excited," "Fire" and "Slow Hand" -- has died of cancer, her family said today. She was 52.

Pointer died Tuesday at Santa Monica University of California, Los Angeles, Medical Center, the family said in a statement. She had been hospitalized since late February. The type of cancer wasn't disclosed.

She died "in the arms of her sisters, Ruth and Anita and her brothers, Aaron and Fritz, by her side," the statement said. "Although her sister, Bonnie, was unable to be present, she was with her in spirit."

The four sisters grew up singing in the choir of an Oakland church where their parents were ministers. Bonnie and June formed a singing duo and began performing in clubs around the San Francisco Bay area. Anita and Ruth later joined the group, which sang backup for artists such as Taj Mahal, Boz Scaggs and Elvin Bishop.

Their self-titled debut album was released in 1973, and the song "Yes We Can Can" became their first hit. They followed up with "That's A Plenty," which featured an eclectic mix of musical styles ranging from jazz to country and pop. They won a Grammy Award in 1974 for best country vocal performance by a group for the song "Fairytale."

Bonnie Pointer left the group in 1977 for a solo career.

The Pointer Sisters recorded several more albums, including 1984's "Break Out," which won two Grammys for "Automatic" and "Jump (for My Love)." The album's other hit song, "Neutron Dance," was prominently featured in the movie "Beverly Hills Cop."

June recorded two solo albums, and later left the trio.

Anita and Ruth still perform under the group's name. Ruth's daughter, Issa Pointer, is the trio's newest member.

Funeral arrangements were incomplete.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  2. marty

marty In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Sad to hear. I've got their "We are Family" song on my Ipod.

3. JackPMiller

JackPMiller On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Sister Sledge sang "We Are Family," not the Pointer Sisters.

4. marty

marty In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

:bricks: Woops, got them confused! Guess I'm not far from the writing-everything-down-age!

5. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +110 / 2 / -3

Sad to hear when any family suffers such a loss.

But did they really have such a devoted following though that this news is rocking the music world? I mean, they were certainly a respected group - and the music they made is head and shoulders above 99% of the crap that makes it's way into popular culture - but they were still just a pop band.

I guess their music does rise above that as I'd be willing to say it meets the test of time for pop music, but I just don't feel the same way about them the way I do about your "In Memoriam" to Marvin Gaye from last week.

Someone like that leaves a palatable hole in the music world where as the Pointer Sisters have really been "gone" for a very long time and no one's really noticed.

Just my musical two cents - I still feel for the family's loss, and appreciate your posting this as I'd not otherwise know.

6. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I've got to agree with that assessment. I might add, sometimes I'll see an old timer who has died that has no name recognition. Then, upon reading his/her musical accomplishments, that may have effected many lives, I have a new-found respect for this person. Maybe its a sign of the times, because I surely don't get that when a temporary gets shot down, even tho that temp. also may effected many lives.