PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julius Peppers update

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Julius Peppers had a conference call with reporters today and reiterated his desire to play OLB for a 3-4 team, stating that if Carolina used the franchise tag on him he would request a trade:

Peppers will request trade if designated as franchise player

With Thursday the dealine for placing the franchise tag on players and no long term deal worked out with Jordan Gross yet, the Panthers seem to be in something of a bind. It will be interesting to see if they can work out a long term deal with Gross in the next 5 days and still use the tag on Peppers to try and work out a trade.

Whether he gets tagged or not, the Pats can't afford him. Cassel's 14 milliion dollar salary really handcuffs the Pats. If the Pats can't trade Cassel soon, we are looking at an offseason similar to last year. :(

"Whether he gets tagged or not, the Pats can't afford him. Cassel's 14 milliion dollar salary really handcuffs the Pats"

I agree we can't do much as long as we are paying him and Brady both!

Whether he gets tagged or not, the Pats can't afford him. Cassel's 14 milliion dollar salary really handcuffs the Pats. If the Pats can't trade Cassel soon, we are looking at an offseason similar to last year. :(

Cassel gets traded and we offer Peppers a one year "prove it" deal.

Cassel gets traded and we offer Peppers a one year "prove it" deal.
How about I complicate this and incur the wrath of the "no thank you" cool dudes. Swap him to K.C. for the Chiefs #34 pick in round two and swap them our #23 in round one for there #3 in a first round exchange of picks. It lets Pioli keep a first rounder. Now swap the third pick in the draft to the Panthers (who by the way, have no first rounder) for Julius Peppers and say our 4th rounder to make this feasible.
Cassels' number would be about $14m and Peppers will cost us maybe $10m so it works for Mr. Kraft.
Now guess what the Panthers do? They take pick #3 and go after Matt Stafford! To groom with the Jakester for a year (They are too good of a team to have a shot at a top tier QB like Stafford in any draft unless they trade up for one. Here is there chance). Detroit has way too many holes to go after a Stafford and throw him to the wolves. They tried that with Harrington and that certainly did not work. It just does not make sense. On the other hand. It is a great move for the Panthers.
Cassel brings us Peppers and a super high second round pic and it has been said that there are 37 first round grade players in this years draft. We could get a Sean Smith, Harvin, Matthews etc.
K.C. Wins because they get Cassel (a ready to go QB that even Kipper even says, better than the two top QB's in the draft and Pioli certainly knows)and still have a top twenty five pick this year for maybe a Maclin or a Cushing or a Britton.
DW Toys

Last edited:
How about I complicate this and incur the wrath of the "no thank you" cool dudes. Swap him to K.C. for the Chiefs #34 pick in round two and swap them our #23 in round one for there #3 in a first round exchange of picks. It lets Pioli keep a first rounder. Now swap the third pick in the draft to the Panthers (who by the way, have no first rounder) for Julius Peppers and say our 4th rounder to make this feasible.
Cassels' number would be about $14m and Peppers will cost us maybe $10m so it works for Mr. Kraft.
Now guess what the Panthers do? They take pick #3 and go after Matt Stafford! To groom with the Jakester for a year. Detroit has way too many holes to go after a Stafford and throw him to the wolves. They tried that with Harrington and that certainly did not work. It just does not make sense. On the other hand. It is a great move for the Panthers.
Cassel brings us Peppers and a super high second round pic and it has been said that there are 37 first round grade players in this years draft. We could get a Sean Smith, Harvin, Matthews etc.
K.C. Wins because they get Cassel (a ready to go QB that even Kipper even says, better than the two top QB's in the draft and Pioli certainly knows)and still have a top twenty five pick this year for maybe a Maclin or a Cushing or a Britton.
DW Toys

Sorry, but trading #3 for Peppers doesn't make sense to me. Too much, not to mention the 4th you've thrown in. Peppers is 29, will cost more than #3, will be changing positions, and has been inconsistent. Do I like him? Yes. Do I like him that much? No. There is better value to be found.

BTW, it sounds like Carolina is moving aggressively (and making progress) towards signing Gross to a long term deal this week in time to slap the franchise tag on Peppers so that they can trade him.

No way Peppers lands here Carolina will franchise him then trade so they get some compensation right away and we clearly cannot afford him.

Sorry, but trading #3 for Peppers doesn't make sense to me. Too much, not to mention the 4th you've thrown in. Peppers is 29, will cost more than #3, will be changing positions, and has been inconsistent. Do I like him? Yes. Do I like him that much? No. There is better value to be found.

BTW, it sounds like Carolina is moving aggressively (and making progress) towards signing Gross to a long term deal this week in time to slap the franchise tag on Peppers so that they can trade him.

he has us trading for Peppers so he was assuming that.

the way I see that while it may get us Peppers I think it short changes what you can get for Cassell. I hope we do better than a swap of ones and high 2.

rather than swap ones with the cheifs if we can just get a one for Cassel we could use that to get Peppers and we would still have are own 1.

Us getting Peppers would be pretty far fetched so I wouldnt expect it but would be thrilled if it went down.

swapping 1sts with KC is not this small price that you make it out to be. You're talking about going from 23rd to 3rd overall!

But if you're gonna talk about trading for Peppers with a team that has a need at QB then why not just trade Cassel to the Panthers?

he has us trading for Peppers so he was assuming that.

Of course he does ... that was obvious, and was commented on. I was merely pointing out that the latest news suggests that Carolina is making progress towards actually being able to tag Peppers, which wasn't at all apparent a day or 2 ago. My other point is that #3 overall is way to much to trade for Peppers.

Of course he does ... that was obvious, and was commented on. I was merely pointing out that the latest news suggests that Carolina is making progress towards actually being able to tag Peppers, which wasn't at all apparent a day or 2 ago. My other point is that #3 overall is way to much to trade for Peppers.

I see exactly what you are saying as we are in the NFL forum discussion NFL issues. I think it is interesting for Gross because he can get a good contract out of them (they are pressed for time) then Franchise Peppers in order to trade him and not lose him for nothing. Quite a situation if you ask me, he was not insinuating that we would go after him as he would be too expensive with Seymour making almost 10 mill this season. The only players on the FA market I would make that sacrifice for money wise would be Suggs (26 y/o true OLB) or Nnamdi Asomugha.

KontradictioN I do not believe we could offer a player of his age and caliber a prove it deal where he had a productive 08 season. If he is Franchised and traded then he would be guaranteed at least 10 million or would look to sign a long term big number contract. This whole converting to a 3-4 OLB is just adding to all of this to create more of a market for this guy.

Last edited:
Tom Talks

Source: Peppers will accept a trade to only four teams

Carolina Panther defensive end Julius Peppers will agree to be traded to only four teams, a source says.

And two of those teams are teams to which the Panthers will not want to trade him, the source adds.

This implies that the two teams are in the NFC South, the division in which the Panthers play.

Very interesting. Wonder who the 4 are, especially with Peppers having said he wants to play OLB for a 3-4 team, none of whom are in the NFC South.

Can't see this ending nicely at this point. It looks like Carolina is in position to sign Jordan Gross to a long term contract in the next 24 hours and put the franchise tag on Peppers, which is the best way to protect their investment. But with $17M tied up on Peppers plus long-term deals for Gross and Chris Gamble, they would have to cut a lot of players to get under cap. Plus, with Peppers being less and less cooperative, it seems to restrict what they can realistically get for him. Not a good situation for either the team or the player (except that Peppers gets a gazillion dollars no matter what, so I won't shed any tears for him).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back