PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julius Peppers: The forgotten FA

Patriots absolutely need a pass rushers to rotate into the mix, give Jones and Ninkovich a breather. Peppers would be a perfect guy for that role.

The Patriots already have Buchanan and probably another rookie PR to rotate in, but they will need somebody they can count on and the older vet guys are great, they don't have the stamina to go all day and they don't have to.

the problem is that peppers will want more money than a guy you rotate in

in that regard, why not bring in a guy like shaun philips.....the guy has done nothing but be a solid player his entire career and he's diverse, so he could fit a few spots

the problem is that peppers will want more money than a guy you rotate in

in that regard, why not bring in a guy like shaun philips.....the guy has done nothing but be a solid player his entire career and he's diverse, so he could fit a few spots

I am not saying he would take less, but a guy like Peppers might take less to get a shot at winning the Superbowl. He has made a bazillion dollars during his career, only 1 last thing to do for him and that is get himself a ring.

At his age, teams will not be throwing a ton of money at him.

If it was between Allen and Peppers for the same money I would want Allen but Peppers fits better as a guy looking to have a bounce back year who can be an excellent rotation guy, he would probably play 40-50% of snaps as he would be frequently in for Jones and Ninkovich. Now we have no idea if he would be willing to take a bounce back year contract but in his case he might as I debt not many teams will be lining up to give him a big deal. Peppers has the potential to take a cheap deal where Allen does not and as I said Peppers probbaly fits better into what the Patriots want than Allen. That being said the Patriots will probbaly sign a guy for the same role who will do just as well but without the big name recognition.

I'm actually okay with the pats going in with the front four they have now. Jones and Nink at DE with Wilfork and Kelly in the middle. Maybe a backup DE and DT but I highly doubt that any big name player will accept that position. The biggest issue was when Wilfork went down...he supplied pressure from the middle and it was sorely missed.

All this talk about Allen and Peppers means your relegating Jones or Nick to backup duty. We need pressure from the middle. A better pass rush could come LB blitzes or a better secondary. I don't see us really needing a high priced DE. Now a potent DT, that would be the way to go.

I don't get the assumption he would want more than Jared Allen. His age and past earnings compared to JA don't really point to that.

One thing to remember with Peppers is he played with nobody around him in 2013. Chicago's defensive line was terrible and with Henry Melton on IR there was nobody to take any attention away from Peppers. Bringing him here as a rotational guy with Jones and Ninko could really boost his production.

I've said in other threads I would prefer Peppers over Allen. I think he will not only be cheaper, he also doesn't count as a qualifying free agent for compensation purposes. Don't get me wrong I would love to have Allen too but I think he is asking way too much. I'll happily take Peppers on a 2 year deal if his demands are reasonable.

I too would take Peppers over Allen.

One thing to remember with Peppers is he played with nobody around him in 2013. Chicago's defensive line was terrible and with Henry Melton on IR there was nobody to take any attention away from Peppers. Bringing him here as a rotational guy with Jones and Ninko could really boost his production.

I've said in other threads I would prefer Peppers over Allen. I think he will not only be cheaper, he also doesn't count as a qualifying free agent for compensation purposes. Don't get me wrong I would love to have Allen too but I think he is asking way too much. I'll happily take Peppers on a 2 year deal if his demands are reasonable.

If the money is close, you take Allen. He's the better player at this stage in their respective careers.

Just my $.02

either player will probably cost 8-10 mil per year (allen almost had the Ware contract but Ware signed first). is this the money you pay for a rotation player??

either player will probably cost 8-10 mil per year (allen almost had the Ware contract but Ware signed first). is this the money you pay for a rotation player??
Yes, because the #3 DE is just as important as a starter in today's NFL.

Peppers is too expensive I would bet.

The money would have to be right. We can't pay him like a starting player if he would only be a rotataion DE in our system. And we also can't just pay him for having a 'big name'.

He is still a fine push rusher - definitely a rotational player though. Even in his prime - when he was at Carolina, his run stopping capabilities were suspect. I think that it was 3 games to glory in Super Bowl XXXVIII Belichick talks about their game plan of running right at Peppers.

Yes, because the #3 DE is just as important as a starter in today's NFL.

glad your not the cap manager....8 mil for a backup...we wouldn't have the cap space to sign Revis.

He is still a fine push rusher - definitely a rotational player though. Even in his prime - when he was at Carolina, his run stopping capabilities were suspect. I think that it was 3 games to glory in Super Bowl XXXVIII Belichick talks about their game plan of running right at Peppers.

I actually witnessed the same thing watching the 2003 Superbowl today. Daniel Graham flatout pushed Julius Peppers out of the way on a run play.

It's Rapoport, so believe it if you want. :D
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 10s

#Cowboys are among the teams talking with veteran DE Julius Peppers, per source. No visit scheduled, but interested at the right price.

It's Rapoport, so believe it if you want. :D

When asked to confirm, Peppers' agent was quoted as saying, "Absolutely untrue. Peppers has received no interest. I'm just trying to play my adult men's indoor roller derby game and my phone keeps blowing up!"

And you don't think that having a vet like Peppers or Allen around might help out younger players?

In a word, no.

Jerod Mayo is that guy, as are Ninkovich, McCourty, Revis, Kelly, Arrington, Adrian Wilson etc. The Patriots are not lacking for veterans who know how to win. Hightower, Dennard and Chandler Jones are third-year veterans now who only know how to get to the AFC Championship game. This is a grown up defense that is getting tougher and better.

In a word, no.

Jerod Mayo is that guy, as are Ninkovich, McCourty, Revis, Kelly, Arrington, Adrian Wilson etc. The Patriots are not lacking for veterans who know how to win. Hightower, Dennard and Chandler Jones are third-year veterans now who only know how to get to the AFC Championship game. This is a grown up defense that is getting tougher and better.

I think an actual defensive lineman that has played the game at an elite level could certainly be beneficial. Not saying it's a necessity but....

I think we wait and end up signing someone for less than 1/2 that amount, although I don't care either way.

Belichick didn't even want to pull the trigger last year on a 3-4 million dollar deal for Abraham, and he was one of the top few DEs in free agency.

I have a hard time seeing him suddenly more than doubling it, as mediocre every day players such as Antonio Smith are getting 5 million a year.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back