PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julius Peppers signs franchise tender with the Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pathers weren't in the same position as the Patriots. Cassel had already signed his tender. Peppers had not until today.

From what I can find, the Panthers are actually right against the cap and have very little room to sign their rookies. It definitely helps that they don't have a first round pick to sign. But they still have to accommodate the signing bonus amortizations of the other rookies. Freeing up the 16.68 million would make that possible and give them the latitude to sign some other players to contract extensions (Richard Marshall, DeAngelo Williams).

I'm not saying it WILL happen. I'm saying it could happen and that cap space is something that the Panthers could use.

Fair enough, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. I thought when they freed up an additional 3+ million by extending Delhomme, they were pretty much right where we are, but I'm not saying it's impossible either.

FWIW--according to the Carolina Examiner (6-15-09)

"After months of talking about Julius Peppers the speculation has now ended. Panthers starting defensive end has confirmed on Friday that he will be playing for Carolina in the 2009 season.

The Carolina star notified teammates via text message that he will be present when the Panthers' start there training camp on August 2nd in Spartanburg, South Carolina. He has not been completely out of football just because he has not been with the team. Earlier in the offseason he reported that he will be working out in Arizona and that is where he has been for months now."

Last edited:
FFS, are we really going to have to listen to this whole deal again? For how long? Can we make a deal that if nothing actually happens in the next 2 weeks, we'll just stop talking about Julius Peppers?

FFS, are we really going to have to listen to this whole deal again? For how long? Can we make a deal that if nothing actually happens in the next 2 weeks, we'll just stop talking about Julius Peppers?

Only if Adam Seward or Pisa Tinoisamoa become available.

Actually, according to the Carolina Growl, the Jake Delhomme extension freed up approx. 5 million in space, not the 3 million I posted.

IMO, I think they can sign their rookies just fine, and cannot find nor replace a player of Peppers' caliber at this point. I just don't see why he would pass up 17 guaranteed this yr, then at least 25-30 more guaranteed on next yrs free agency deal. That would give him a record 45 million guaranteed in just 2 yrs time. I also don't see Carolina's reasoning in wanting to clear up cap space with about a month before training camp.

Who exactly do they NEED to sign?

While we're at it, I don't see the Pats going out and signing an unproven position when they have financial problems with their #1 priority--which would be their 2 best players on the defensive line. I personally, would be totally shocked, but would also be the first to give those who believed, their due props.

I think we're just as strapped cap wise as they are.

I think the trade deadline is in October.

I don't believe I've ever tried to hide the fact that I desperately want Peppers on this team (even though I'm big on Crable and Woods). I would be doing the happiest dance ever if I woke up one morning and opened up Patsfans.com to find headlines about "Peppers to Patriots." However, if it means somehow losing sight of Wilfork and Seymour (I desperately hope we keep both), then forget about it. Peppers is nowhere near important enough to break up what many people consider to be the best 3-4 D-line in the NFL. BB, get on it with those extensions for Mr. Wilfork and Mr. Seymour.

I think the trade deadline is in October.

Actually, in this case, it might be earlier than that:

Any Club designating a Franchise Player shall have until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on July 15 of the League Year (or, if July 15 falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the first Monday thereafter) for which the designation takes effect to sign the player to a multi-year contract or extension. After that date, the player may sign only a one-year Player Contract with his Prior Club for that season, and such Player Contract may not be extended until after the Club’s last regular season game.

In any case, though, I obviously can't see Carolina extending him and then trading him, and if the Pats trade for him at that point, I think he'd have to be on the tender, which means the Patriots would have to assume the rest of his $1M/week salary.

The only way the Pats will be able to get him is if they can agree to a long term deal. I don't see that happening because they're already dealing with Vince Wilfork. Let's say Brace turns out to show the Pats a little something this year. Would you rather have an elite NT or an elite pass rusher?

The only way the Pats will be able to get him is if they can agree to a long term deal. I don't see that happening because they're already dealing with Vince Wilfork. Let's say Brace turns out to show the Pats a little something this year. Would you rather have an elite NT or an elite pass rusher?

I'd rather have both. If I had to choose between the two, it would most certainly be an elite NT.

I'd rather have both. If I had to choose between the two, it would most certainly be an elite NT.

Let's say the Pats trade for Peppers and sign him to a long term deal before Wilfork. Assuming that Peppers transitions well at the OLB position, I'd rather have the pass rusher. Not getting to the QB consistently has killed the Pats since 2005. In fact, 2007 was a fluke because of their offense. Even though I haven't seen him play, Brace certainly has the size to do well at NT.

Last edited:
Let's say the Pats trade for Peppers and sign him to a long term deal before Wilfork. Assuming that Peppers transitions well at the OLB position, I'd rather have the pass rusher. Not getting to the QB consistently has killed the Pats since 2005. In fact, 2007 was a fluke because of their offense. Also, the Pats run defense hasn't been that great over the last few years. Even though I haven't seen him play, Brace certainly has the size to do well at NT.

I agree that pass rush was a problem last year but not since 2005. 2005 was wrecked because of a huge rash of injuries on the defense. In 2006, the defense carried the team to the AFC Championship (let's not forget who our major threats on offense were: An aging Dillon, a rookie Maroney, Reche Caldwell, Troy Brown, and Jabar Gaffney). In 2007, the Patriots had one of the leaders in sacks that year -- Vrabel, so pass rush wasn't the problem there either.

Also, let's not forget that we don't know what we have in Brace OR Crable.

I agree that pass rush was a problem last year but not since 2005. 2005 was wrecked because of a huge rash of injuries on the defense. In 2006, the defense carried the team to the AFC Championship (let's not forget who our major threats on offense were: An aging Dillon, a rookie Maroney, Reche Caldwell, Troy Brown, and Jabar Gaffney). In 2007, the Patriots had one of the leaders in sacks that year -- Vrabel, so pass rush wasn't the problem there either.

Also, let's not forget that we don't know what we have in Brace OR Crable.

Healthy or not, the Pats weren't able to get after the QB in 2005 because their secondary was s***. In 2006, that Troy Brown fumble recovery was the reason they got to the AFCCG. In 2007, opposing teams had to throw the entire game because the Pats were able to jump out to big leads early. 2008 had clear evidence of that. Because the Pats had to actually think about the opposing team's running game, it showed they couldn't get after the QB without the other team being predictable.

Last edited:
get off his d*ck already. i want to see how Crable plays before we start thinking about expensive OLB help.

Julius Peppers can kiss my hairyass ...

He'll suffer an injury this year within the 1st 6 games and never be the same again.

The board will flow with many 'it's a good thing we never traded for Pepper's" threads.

A new trade binky will take over followed by a draft binky as history repeats itself in this forum.

Pierre Woods and Shawn Crabel say hello

And hasnt BB said its their job this season?

This thread should die

Pierre Woods and Shawn Crabel say hello

And hasnt BB said its their job this season?

This thread should die

BB has sought Mr. Taylor and Mr. Burgess, and he's brought in Mr. Lenon. It's pretty clear that he's open to change in the linebacking corps.

At this point i rather see what woods and crable can do also i rather see the Patriots extend Wilfork!!

Have the Patriots confirmed the trade yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back