PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julian Edelman

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always wanted to see him in a gadget play throwing the ball.

Surprised all these college QBs turned other positions don't get a shot to throw the ball every once in a while

Surprised all these college QBs turned other positions don't get a shot to throw the ball every once in a while

Because he's no daisy.

In related news, Edelman and Koutouvides were ejected from practice today after a post-play scrap between the two.

In related news, Edelman and Koutouvides were ejected from practice today after a post-play scrap between the two.

I just read that. Has there ever been a training camp with this many scuffles? I can't remember a training camp for the Pats that had this many scuffles.

I just read that. Has there ever been a training camp with this many scuffles? I can't remember a training camp for the Pats that had this many scuffles.

As long as they don't start fighting with each other in the huddle during a game that counts, I'm alright with it. That just means that the competition is fierce.

As long as they don't start fighting with each other in the huddle during a game that counts, I'm alright with it. That just means that the competition is fierce.

I sure hope you're right. We don't need to be beating ourselves, literally or figuratively.

I sure hope you're right. We don't need to be beating ourselves, literally or figuratively.

No worries. If 2012 is like 2011, Julian will be calming down right after he attends his Halloween party. :eek:

I'd like to see a Brady to Moss back to Brady to Gaffney type play with Edelperson playing the Moss role.

In this thread people have suggested he will move ahead of Branch, Stallworth and Gaffney and be the #3 WR.

If you're talking about me, let me reiterate my position.

I pointed out some positive signs of JE's performance in camp (which you're entitled to overlook if you choose), his situation going into a contract year (which no one has chosen to discuss), some observations from the Saints game (which no one has contradicted), some claims [with photo evidence] about reshaping his body in the offseason (which no one has commented on), BB's curious interest in Plaxico (which no one really picked up on) and suggested that all things considered, JE may be competitive for the #3 spot... especially if Gaffney continues to look flat.

Which I still feel is a pretty innocuous claim. Isn't camp all about competition?

The rebuttal has been pretty much, he hasn't shown us anything in three years. No reason to think he'll do so now. He'll make the roster for ST, but that's about it.

To which I would still say: what about the electric reports from camp, the psychological situation of his contract year, the looks he got in the Saints game, and his award winning offseason? Counts for nothing? Or does it make him competitive?

He was the most productive receiver in our only pre-season game, with more targets and more receptions that Gaffney and Stallworth and Branch combined. Counts for nothing? Why do we even play those games?

He did have one shot at a gadget play where he ended up under center, but he blew it.

He did have one shot at a gadget play where he ended up under center, but he blew it.

He ran the scout team offense as QB both times we played Denver last year.

I've thought the same thing. It can only be a once in a season play but it'd be interesting no doubt.

Maybe JE can sign with the Jets next year- Rex will alternate him and Teblow in the wildcat.:D

He was the most productive receiver in our only pre-season game, with more targets and more receptions that Gaffney and Stallworth and Branch combined. Counts for nothing? Why do we even play those games?

To find out which players on the bubble will make it and which won't.

I saw Edelman in practice a week ago Monday and he had 2 drops on easy receptions, hardly something that would make him a primary target. He may well make the team because of his versatilty but it is hard to see him vaulting into a primary receiver role over guys like Gaffney and Stallworth when they have years of production to lean on and he doesn't.

I pointed out some positive signs of JE's performance in camp (which you're entitled to overlook if you choose), his situation going into a contract year (which no one has chosen to discuss), some observations from the Saints game (which no one has contradicted), some claims [with photo evidence] about reshaping his body in the offseason (which no one has commented on), BB's curious interest in Plaxico (which no one really picked up on) and suggested that all things considered, JE may be competitive for the #3 spot... especially if Gaffney continues to look flat.
You showed a picture from the neck up. Patjew commented about the only change evident; his hair.

Which I still feel is a pretty innocuous claim. Isn't camp all about competition?
So we should discuss Hoyers chance of being the starting QB innocuously?
The rebuttal has been pretty much, he hasn't shown us anything in three years. No reason to think he'll do so now. He'll make the roster for ST, but that's about it.
The 'rebuttal' has been a lot more than that. I don't see anyone listing statistics and not analyzing them. Your argument seems to be anyone can do anything possibly so why not.
To which I would still say: what about the electric reports from camp, the psychological situation of his contract year,
Are you seriously telling me that you see a great correlation to positive camp reports and play in the regular season on reserve players? Because if you do, you haven't paid attention.
What does the contract year of a special teamer have to do with anything? Are you saying he hasn't given 100% but will now that his minimum contract is going to be up?

the looks he got in the Saints game,
A few plays vs backups?
and his award winning offseason? Counts for nothing? Or does it make him competitive?
Showing up for offseason workouts consistently is great but the talent level is what it is. Lesser players don't play ahead of better ones becuase they showed up more in April.
Do I really need to answer this? If you wish to think that catching passes vs backups in preseasn games is how you pass clearly surperior players I probably should have skipped this thread.

Do I really need to answer this? If you wish to think that catching passes vs backups in preseasn games is how you pass clearly surperior players I probably should have skipped this thread.

Remember the summer of TD fireworks Michael Bishop to my binkie Sean Morey of Brown University? Good times.

I saw Edelman in practice a week ago Monday and he had 2 drops on easy receptions, hardly something that would make him a primary target. He may well make the team because of his versatilty but it is hard to see him vaulting into a primary receiver role over guys like Gaffney and Stallworth when they have years of production to lean on and he doesn't.
I don't buy the past production argument. If it were so then youngsters wouldn't ever beat out vets. Moving forward, if Edelman is more productive than other wideouts he'll play and they won't. Simple as that.

My personal feeling is that Edelman will be very hard presses to beat out either Lloyd or Welker. But I could easily see him vaulting past Gaffney, and especially Stallworth and Branch, who are nothing special despite their years of experience.

Last edited:
I don't buy the past production argument. If it were so then youngsters wouldn't ever beat out vets. Moving forward, if Edelman is more productive than other wideouts he'll play and they won't. Simple as that.

My personal feeling is that Edelman will be very hard presses to beat out either Lloyd or Welker. But I could easily see him vaulting past Gaffney, and especially Stallworth and Branch, who are nothing special despite their years of experience.
Well past production is not necessarily a factor in who plays today, the reason for the past production is a valid reasoning for why the player hasn't produced. Edelman has not exhibited the level of skill to give any serious reason to believe he could move ahead of Gaffney or Branch. I tend to think Stallworth is over the hill, but if not, he has significantly greater skill than Edelman.
I don't know why people cannot accept what Edelman is (an overachiever who grinds it out on special teams and is a WR because he has to have a position to play) and appreciate it, rather than try to build him up into something he isn't.

Well past production is not necessarily a factor in who plays today, the reason for the past production is a valid reasoning for why the player hasn't produced.
Only true if you believe a player never gets any better than the level at which they (didn't) produce previously. It might well be the case that Edelman has improved such that, today, he is better than he was previously. If so then, obviously, past production, or lack thereof, means diddly squat.

I don't know why people cannot accept what Edelman is (an overachiever who grinds it out on special teams and is a WR because he has to have a position to play) and appreciate it, rather than try to build him up into something he isn't.
I can't speak for others but, in my case, I see/read/hear that Edelman, despite not producing to lofty standards in the past, is currently making plays in camp which might project him as a possible contributor on the team come September.

I make this projection much like I would for someone like Brace or Cunningham or Carpenter or Hoyer or Scott or Gregory or any other player who hasn't produced to lofty standards in the past but who has had productive camps which might translate into a spot on this team moving forward.

Not sure why this would be far fecthed.

Last edited:

To which I would still say: what about the electric reports from camp, the psychological situation of his contract year, the looks he got in the Saints game, and his award winning offseason? Counts for nothing? Or does it make him competitive?

It's always difficult to attempt to bring balanced perspective into discussion on a message board with passionate fans. The claims on both sides are invariably exaggerated often until they become polar opposites. Yes, this can be a useful debating technique but it only serves to obscure truth and prevent reasoned analysis.

Thanks for trying to get this thread more on track. However, I'm not sure you'll succeed. :eek:

Indeed, this has been Edelman's real downfall - too many drops. He does so much so well but if he's not holding on to the ball consistently in practice, he's not going to get many opportunities in games.

I love Julian Edelman and truly believe that if he got better at catching, he could become not only a starting NFL receiver but a true impact player. Unfortunately, I expect the drops to continue and a career as a special teams force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back