PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julian Edelman

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are making the same old tired argument that we've discussed before. All the receivers you mention play different positions than Edelman. The slot receiver has a different skill set. If the Pats were so desperate for help at the outside receiver spot, why didn't they put Welker out there? Isn't he a starting quality WR? The answer is of course obvious. They didn't, because his skill set better served the team playing primarily in the slot.

Welker has been lining up specifically as a split end the vast majority of the time since Gronk and H-Bomb turned up....he lines up out wide the vast majority of the time. The only time he was ever a true slot receiver was 2007 and 2008 when we played a vertical spread attack. So that argument is dead in the water.

Welker hasn't been a true slot recover for the last two years at least. Edelman will have to show us at least a little bit of something on the outside if he's going to be truly effective for us long term.

That has been our weakness for at least two yeas as well because we don't really have a position for a true slot receiver any more because the slot guy is more often than not a TE or motioning back. We occasionally motion Welker but not a huge deal. We also haven't ad a true split end until Lloyd showed up. Ocho obviously never worked out.

Even Welker, no matter how good he's been, has struggled because of his lack of size and straight line speed...when our offence went through its struggles last season you could see him being manhandled by the likes of the Steelers on the outside against bigger, taller corners.

Ebert a least has some straight line speed to test the outside...more so than Edelman and I've already said I think Ebert's overall receiving skills will prove to be better than Edelman's...be it this year or next year. I actually think we're a little deluded if we automatically think Ebert will clear waivers...just look at his Big Ten production and pro day numbers. His tape is solid and I'm amazed he never got a combine invite.

I see Edelman out next season anyway. If someone can step up returning punts he's more expendable than most think if they can edge him as a receiver.

Last edited:
Which might be a record, I'm guessing ;)
Aside from the 100s that have zero.

Great. So now it was Edelman's fault that the Pats offense sputtered down the stretch in 2009. :rolleyes:
You said that he was an excellent replacement for Welker. I pointed out that getting some production, still less than Welker is an inaccurate gauge of the impace of a WR on an offense, and that the offense had its worst games when Welker was out. If you can't see that connection, you aren't looking.

This would be filed under "grasping at straws". He had the 2nd best season of any rookie WR in the BB era. He had as much production as Jordy Nelson and twice as much Antonio Brown. The point is that he showed undeniable potential. His last 2 seasons have been derailed by getting few snaps and what few he got were often out of position.
That production is part of his evaluation. The excuse that he doesn't catch passes because he is out of position at WR or pretending that 'low snaps' overcomes low receptions per snaps is grasping at straws. Especially in a thread where the discussion is him becoming the #3 WR.

What are you saying here. That there are 100's of examples of players who had never played WR in HS or college and came into the league and made an immediate impact? No there weren't 100's I doubt there were 10. And if any of them did (I'm think Hines Ward is one), they got one thing that Edelman hasn't gotten which is an opportunity to get consistent snap and looks at a position that fitted his skill set.
You know what I am saying. Picking out a handful of guys who started poorly then produced is an ignorant argument, unless you include all the players that started out poorly and never did anything.
But I guess you just eliminated your own comparisons because you think no who wasn't a WR in college and HS doesn't belong in the discussion.

No, Andy. You can continue to hold on to this opinion for as long as you want. And as to your question, let me ask one in return. Why is it so distressing to your that when someone views a young inexperienced player who hasn't had a opportunity to put up numbers, might be likely to be able to make that leap when he gets the opportunity to play regularly.
It is not distressing at all. It just isn't realistic given his career to date. It doesn't mean its impossible, but by the same token I could argue Jermaine Cunningham becoming the next LT and have the equivalent 'evidence' to what you present.
I'm guessing, if you had been a Steeler fan and got the news that Mike Vrabel had left to join the Patriots, your first response would have been. "good riddance. He never produced anything here anyway."
Actually, I would have probably would have recognized he wasn't a good fit in the Steelers 1gap system but been disappointed he didn't work out.
Are you seriously trying to compare Julian Edelman as a WR to Mike Vrabel as a LB?

You are making the same old tired argument that we've discussed before. All the receivers you mention play different positions than Edelman.
No they do not. They play it BETTER so they get on the field.

The slot receiver has a different skill set. If the Pats were so desperate for help at the outside receiver spot, why didn't they put Welker out there?
They did. Who do you think was the outside WR in 2 WR sets?

Isn't he a starting quality WR? The answer is of course obvious.
Which is why he played there, and why they chose a better option outside with Welker inside over using Edleman. There is also more than 1 slot receiver in 1 back formations.

They didn't, because his skill set better served the team playing primarily in the slot.
Of course since they did, this is nonsense.
I'm sure that you would agree that it takes separate skill sets to play ILB and OLB, yet they are both LB's Why can't you acknowledge that there are separate skill sets for WR's as well
Different variations of skills but the same basic skill set. Vrabel, Thomas, Bruschi, Johnson, Phifer, and now Hightower have all played both inside and out, based on where they were needed. Edelman has been on the bench.

THAT's the point. I don't know yet. And I won't until he gets the OPPORTUNITY.
He has had 3 years of opportunity.

Here's the crux of the matter. You look at the sum total of Edelman's tenure as a Patriot and have determined, unequivocally, that he cannot be a starting WR (either slot or outside). period. I look at the same evidence and have concluded that there is good chance that he MIGHT be that player (especially in the slot)
So our argument boils down to I have analyzed the situation and drawn a conclusion and you want to argue we should just not have an opinion?

I think what offends me in this long running debate is your absolute certainty of your opinion despite some very good evidence, which even if you don't agree with it has merit.
I have an opinion and you have done absolutely nothing to influence it. What do you want me to do, pretend I am waffling in my assessment to make you feel better?
The 'evidence' you present is not good, and I have given a reasonable, measured counterpoint to every piece of it. The fact that you think catching 6 passes for 44 yards while the offense had about its worst day ever is proof that Edelman can replace Welker while I think its proof losing Welker killed us, other than in counting meaningless receptions in a blowout, is the impasse. I am not going to change my mind or consider that good evidence when I see it as entirely the opposite.

I on the other hand have never stated, with that same absolute certainty, that he could replace a good part of Welker's production.
You do not move from your opinion, I do not move from mine. Claiming some kind of lack of commitment to your opinion doesn't change that.

My position is, based on what I've seen when he got the opportunity to play the slot regularly, there was every indication that he COULD be that guy. And nothing coming from TC this season would lead me to believe otherwise.
What percentage of opinions formed based upon reports coming from camp have you found to be reliable? 10%?Less?

Even though, given the likely roster, there is little chance (outside of injury) that he'll get much of a chance this season either.
So yuo are trumpeting his talent, jumping into a thread arguing he could earn the #3 spot, and agreeing he doesn't have enough skill to get on the field:rolleyes::confused:

I guess it depends on the measuing stick used in evaluating JE. He thus far has not proven much, if anything by way of an outside WR. I think comparing him to Matthew Slater is more accurate than against Welker. BB obviosuly doesn't care that JE is not an outside WR because that is not his role. Like Slater "the WR", JE will likley be around on ST if nothing else.

Last edited:
I am an edelman hater. Strictly on receiving alone, he is kind of useless. He had a total of 4 catches last year. Fn four. And when the ball is thrown in his direction it seems like bad things happen such as interceptions and careless drops. And to be honest taylor price impressed me more than edelman ever has and he didn't make the squad.

That's really not saying much. How would you feel if a hottie replied that you were "just fine" in the sack?:D

I got so sick of hearing that I stopped sleeping with hotties. I don't care how much money they offered me.

I don't know why this forum is so polarized on JE. He is going to be on the roster this year so arguing/discussing/trashing/whatever is futile. Get over it and accept it. It is what it is to quote a famous coach.

I like your philosophy. And while you're at it, get the liberals and conservatives to stop bickering.

This is not a new fight.

Every year, there are those who highly value special teamers and believe that top special teamers are starters, much as punters and kickers are starters. For them, Slater has always been a lock. Edelman is a lock unless we find another top returner. On the defensive side Koutouvides, White, Cole, Barrett and Tarpinian will compete for 1-2 ST roster spots. For these crazy folks, gunner is a position on the team, as important as deep snapper, and as important as #9 LB or #9 OL.

Others want special teamers to be position players first. For them, Edelman and Slater are failures because they haven't produced as receivers. After all, any backup can play special teams. Many have their binkies with little or no experience who they think would give us more than Slater or Edelman (or one of the defensive ST studs).

Every year, our rosters take away special team spots to keep our binkies. Every year Belichick disagrees and keeps 3-4 players primarily for their special teams skills, players who we would prefer to never see the field other than on special teams.

And so it has been; and so it is; and so it shall be (at least on message boards).

This is not a new fight.

Every year, there are those who highly value special teamers and believe that top special teamers are starters, much as punters and kickers are starters. For them, Slater has always been a lock. Edelman is a lock unless we find another top returner. On the defensive side Koutouvides, White, Cole, Barrett and Tarpinian will compete for 1-2 ST roster spots. For these crazy folks, gunner is a position on the team, as important as deep snapper, and as important as #9 LB or #9 OL.

Others want special teamers to be position players first. For them, Edelman and Slater are failures because they haven't produced as receivers. After all, any backup can play special teams. Many have their binkies with little or no experience who they think would give us more than Slater or Edelman (or one of the defensive ST studs).

Every year, our rosters take away special team spots to keep our binkies. Every year Belichick disagrees and keeps 3-4 players primarily for their special teams skills, players who we would prefer to never see the field other than on special teams.

And so it has been; and so it is; and so it shall be (at least on message boards).

Who is calling Edelman a failure? Nobody that I have seen. The argument is whether or not he can seamlessly replace Welker... which he can't.

Who is calling Edelman a failure? Nobody that I have seen. The argument is whether or not he can seamlessly replace Welker... which he can't.

There are some. Some who believe he should be off the roster. That he is easily replaced. I don't think anyone is arguing that he can replace Welker...total figment.

There are some. Some who believe he should be off the roster. That he is easily replaced. I don't think anyone is arguing that he can replace Welker...total figment.
I don't see anyone calling him a failure. I see many people saying he makes the team as a returnman, but would be on the bubble as a WR. He is easily replaced if we find a competant returnman, because thats what he is.
There has been a ton of commentary on this board for months about letting Welker walk because Edelman would be a seamless replacement. You must not have been paying attention.

patfanken has literally been arguing that since the beginning of the offseason... and he's not alone.

JE cannot replace Welker but that doesn't mean he has no value to the team by default. Slater can't replace Welker either, he also can be considered an under performing WR but he excels on ST, as stated I think BB values JE in a similar role and is not judging him vs. Welker like some here are doing.

This is not a new fight.

I would change the bolded to competant returner.

But this debate has not been about the value of special teamers, it has been about Edelmans ability as a WR.
In this thread people have suggested he will move ahead of Branch, Stallworth and Gaffney and be the #3 WR.

Your point about special teams is a good one, but it is in the wrong thread.

JE cannot replace Welker but that doesn't mean he has no value to the team by default. Slater can't replace Welker either, he also can be considered an under performing WR but he excels on ST, as stated I think BB values JE in a similar role and is not judging him vs. Welker like some here are doing.

From the O.P.

...He's starting to look like... dare I say it... Wes Welker. Edelman won one of the off-season awards, which seems to confirm. Also, I wonder if his brush with the law (was it last year?) might not have shocked some reality into him. With his contract year looking him in the face, and the opportunity to leapfrog some declining veterans to earn a role on the offense, I think he could be in for a big year. He's obviously putting in the time.

Against the Saints, Edelman, Stallworth and Gaffney were running with the 2s, but Edelman was the one getting most the looks. The commentators called one of his receptions, saying "Welker sure knows how to work that part of the field". It was Edelman....

...I've been saying that first part for more than a season. With the possible exception of Hernandez, Edelman is the most dangerous ball carrier on the team. There have been good reports from him constantly through camp, and he's made quite a few big passing plays.

Enough of this Edelman on the bubble crap. I'm more interested in if Edelman beats out Branch and Stallworth for the #4 job.

...If those guys are looking flat, then maybe Edelman has a shot to win the #3 role after Lloyd and Welker straight up...

What's happening here is not that the pro-Edelman side is fending off vicious attacks by anti-Edelman posters. What's happening is that some posters are guzzling the JE Koolaid by the gallon, while other posters are proposing more of a wait-and-see approach that's more in line with JE's NFL history to date.

Last edited:
From the O.P.

What's happening here is not that the pro-Edelman side is fending off vicious attacks by anti-Edelman posters. What's happening is that some posters are guzzling the JE Koolaid by the gallon, while other posters are proposing more of a wait-and-see approach that's more in line with JE's NFL history to date.

I'm against a couple of cut Edelman posters myself.

From the O.P.

Point taken. I don't think JE is destined to be anything more than a decent ST contributor, I just don't get why this one guy is such a lightning rod.

Last edited:

Many here have made just that argument going back to the Trade Welker threads of 2 years ago. On the other hand very few have suggested edelman is a failure or a bust, as a late pick who has stuck for the past few years and contributed in a variety of ways he is anything but a bust. However he also hasn't shown the slightest ability to do what those claiming he can easily replace Welker suggest.

Point taken. I don't think JE is destined to be anything more than a decent ST contributor, I just don't get why this one guy is such a lightning rod.

I don't think it's that Edelman is a lightning rod as much as it is that the board is starved for football conversation. Belichick runs the Patriots as if it's a black ops program, even though 90-95% of the information he makes sure is withheld would not be problematic for the team. That leaves people talking about the WR abilities of a return man in multiple threads.

Personally, I'd much rather be talking about Brian Waters, and how his (non)return on Aug/Sep _____ will/won't help the team, the status of Fanene and whether he'll be ready for week one, how much of Branch's offseason absences have been due to injury v. just team precautions, etc... Apparently, though, that information is more sacred than the nation's nuclear launch codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes