PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julian Edelman

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can pretty much promise you that Gaffney will not hit 900 yards this year. And I would be so bold as to suggest that he wouldn't have had 900 yards if he'd been on the Pats roster last year either with the rest of the targets that Brady has. Edelman was roped into playing D and ST, which I think Gaffney would not have been able to pull off.

Established veteran who looks a bit flat and frustrated, vs a young-un showing notable improvement in camp. Reasonable to wonder if the gap--which is real-- might be narrowing enough to be measurable. I think that sounds closer to "competitive" than "hog wild".

BTW, as a reminder: Gaffney was a bust in his first three years with the Texans and was cut by the Eagles in TC his fourth year. He didn't break through until year 5 after BB signed him off the trash heap. Isn't that ironic, given the conversation?

Roped into? Trust me, if he was good enough at receiver, he'd be gettiing reps. He hasn't shown it and has clung to a roster spot because he's one of the league's better punt returners, has ST value and played a bit of defence to an average standard to cover up for injuries. He isn't a poor receiver be ause he got 'roped' into playing other positions.

Way I see it, unless he does anything miraculous this year, he's gone anyway. I'd sooner give someone else a shot myself.

Last edited:
If you go to TC you can understand why Edelman is a fan favorite, as he is everywhere at full throttle all of the time. Whether it be on special teams or on offense...

On closer inspection, he just does not have the talent of the other WR's.. the only way he makes this team is in a special teams slot, and those all seem to be taken.

the only way he makes this team is in a special teams slot, and those all seem to be taken.

By who? Who's returning punts? Judging by the first preseason game, Edelman looks like a lock to make the team. He took the majority of the punt returns and the only player that replaced him was Jeremy Ebert, who is much less likely to make it.

The commentators called one of his receptions, saying "Welker sure knows how to work that part of the field". It was Edelman.

I wouldn't read too much into that...those two buffoons don't know anyones name. It's pretty sad, I was watching the game via some grainy online feed and I knew they were calling out the wrong players names...there is a roster sitting RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM. Look at in before you open your mouths!

Posting positives about Edelman around here can be hazardous to your health...

Predicting that the JE haters will have plenty to squawk about...he isn't getting cut. Slow-Mo-Branch should go before him.

Last edited:
Bedard today:

Practice rundown #15 - Extra Points - Boston.com

I've been saying that first part for more than a season. With the possible exception of Hernandez, Edelman is the most dangerous ball carrier on the team. There have been good reports from him constantly through camp, and he's made quite a few big passing plays.

Enough of this Edelman on the bubble crap. I'm more interested in if Edelman beats out Branch and Stallworth for the #4 job.

I'm impressed. Anybody that torches the great James Ihedigbo is surely worthy of overtaking Welker, Branch, and Gaffney in the starting line-up. This kid is destined for greatness.

Last edited:
From those pictures I can tell that Julian has put some long hours in on the barber's chair. Other than that he looks pretty similar.

I'm impressed. Anybody that torches the great James Ihedigbo is surely worthy of overtaking Welker, Branch, and Gaffney in the starting line-up. This kid is destined for greatness.

You mock the play of JE but why does Branch get a free pass? Simply because of past laurels? If that's the case lets dust off Troy Brown.:rolleyes:

I don't think Branch got any younger/faster in the off season. He was Mr. Invisible for parts of last season but I'm sure that will all change once he gets healthy enough to play.

Last edited:
jester.gif

I don't know about Edelman's future, but the quality of the Sarcasm in this Thread is pretty High Grade!! :rocker:

Ed is just like Hernandez to me in the sense that if you can get him the ball in the open field, he can make people miss and get good yardage. The Pats need to find more ways to get that guy the ball, but with the wealth of other talent, that's just difficult at the moment.

It's partially the wealth of other talent, though it's equally Edelman's ability itself. Both he and Hernandez have great open field ability (which is what makes JE a good PR), the difference is Hernandez can give HIMSELF the open field by using his agility without the ball and running great routes. Edelman, for all his elusiveness with the ball, just doesn't have that level of ability without it thus far.

Ed is just like Hernandez to me in the sense that if you can get him the ball in the open field, he can make people miss and get good yardage.

Disagree.

Edelman is to Aaron The Navigator as Craig Janney was to Bobby Orr.

Edelman is an exciting player when he's got the Ball...

But there is only one Aaron The Navigator.

...As will soon become apparent to the rest of the Galaxy.

You mock the play of JE but why does Branch get a free pass? Simply because of past laurels? If that's the case lets dust off Troy Brown.:rolleyes:

I don't think Branch got any younger/faster in the off season. He was Mr. Invisible for parts of last season but I'm sure that will all change once he gets healthy enough to play.

Branch gets a free pass because he's been ahead of Edelman on the depth chart since he's been here and has caught a ton more balls to do a ton more for the team than Edelman has. Edelman is a serviceable and multi-dimensional player, but Deion Branch or Wes Welker he is not.

Branch gets a free pass because he's been ahead of Edelman on the depth chart since he's been here and has caught a ton more balls to do a ton more for the team than Edelman has. Edelman is a serviceable and multi-dimensional player, but Deion Branch or Wes Welker he is not.

Point well taken.

He is not like Welker- agreed.

Your Branch comments are accurate but so is the fact that Branch has sadly lost a step, got slower, can't create seperation and disappeared last season for games at a time.

I agree that Branch was a superior player in the past but going into the 2012-2013 season I believe that JE, given his versatility, something BB values, can contribute more than Branch. Lloyd, Welker, Gaffney, Hybrid WR Hernandez, (Stallworth?)...they have WR depth and the younger, faster and healthier JE can do more at more postions than Branch can do at one. While JE will only go to the Pro Bowl with tickets he has more value to the team going into this season.

Last edited:
Point well taken.

He is not like Welker- agreed.

Your Branch comments are accurate but so is the fact that Branch has sadly lost a step, got slower, can't create seperation and disappeared last season for games at a time.

Branch was just fine last season before injury.

I agree that Branch was a superior player in the past but going into the 2012-2013 season I believe that JE, given his versatility, something BB values, can contribute more than Branch.

Edelman has shown his versatility since he's gotten here. It's kept him on the team. He presumably had a leg up on Branch having spent a season in B.O.B.'s offense before Branch even got here, and Branch has still started over him and contributed more than he has since that time. I don't see any reason why, if Branch is healthy, that Edelman will suddenly turn the corner, take his spot, and contribute more.

Lloyd, Welker, Gaffney, Hybrid WR Hernandez, (Stallworth?)...they have WR depth and the younger, faster and healthier JE can do more at more postions than Branch can do at one. While JE will only go to the Pro Bowl with tickets he has more value to the team going into this season.

I think you're highly overrating the preseason and TC.

Branch was just fine last season before injury.

That's really not saying much. How would you feel if a hottie replied that you were "just fine" in the sack?:D

That's really not saying much. How would you feel if a hottie replied that you were "just fine" in the sack?:D

That would be a compliment based on what I'm used to hearing. :singing:

Let's face it... the last three years Wes Welker has just been warming up Julian Edelman's spot on the roster.

I heard he teaches the blind to read braille in between sets on the bench press. What a guy.

Let's face it... the last three years Wes Welker has just been warming up Julian Edelman's spot on the roster.

I heard he teaches the blind to read braille in between sets on the bench press. What a guy.

I am sure that BB would have played the amazing talent known as Julian Edelman, but can you imagine having Welker, Hernandez, Gronkowski, AND EDELMAN on the field at the same time. It just would not be fair to the rest of the league.

Perhaps there was some kind of secret memo from the league office forbidding it, or BB just decide to be sporting?

Last edited:
I don't know why this forum is so polarized on JE. He is going to be on the roster this year so arguing/discussing/trashing/whatever is futile. Get over it and accept it. It is what it is to quote a famous coach.

Its getting tougher and tougher for DI and Andy to justify their attacks on Edelman. So now they are just trying to beat down any opposition with their impressive post counts, close their eyes, and hope what everyone is seeing in camp is just a mirage. :rolleyes:

The poster who gave us the Miles Austin example make a good point, receivers can get better. From 18 receptions in 3 years to 80 something can happen when you are given the opportunity and looks. Antonio Brown had close to 200 fewer yards as a rookie than Edelman had, and now he's the #1 receiver for the Steelers. Jordy Nelson had similar production as Edelman in his rookie year and saw his receptions drop by a third in his second. I guess DI and Andy would have then dismissed him for this unpardonable sin. The point is that all three of these examples shined once they got the opportunity for consistent snaps and looks in the regular offense

Andy and DI are correct in this aspect of their flawed arguments. :Last season, Edelman, with only 2 years experience on any level player being a receiver, wasn't good enough to play the outside WR position. And I don't know for certain whether he can now. But I was at yesterday's practice and I saw Stallworth drop multiple balls. I saw Edelman catch everything throw to him and get extensive reps on the outside with the first group.(minus Lloyd)

Maybe, just maybe Andy and DI could possibly throw away their blinders and grant the POSSIBILITY that Edelman might be able to grow enough as a receiver to be able to play the outside WR position effectively. I still think his best position would be in the slot, but they have that Welker guy doing that job and he's pretty good.

BTW- I'm not saying that Edelman is going to have a "breakout" year. I can't say that because I'm still not sure he is going to get the opportunity to get enough reps to truly break out. Realistically he'd need to have someone get injured to get enough snaps in the regular offense to find out once and for all whether he can be a starting quality NFL receiver. You know sometimes you need someone else's misfortune to create the opportunity to get you your chance to shine. Just ask Tom Brady :eek:

But just because Edelman might not "beat out" receivers who have much more experience and much more production doesn't mean that he can't do the job when he gets his true chance - Just as Brown, Austin and Nelson did. If Wes Welker had played for the Giants no one would have ever heard of Victor Cruz

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing