PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julian Edelman

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that savvy Edelman continues to improve as I'm worried about Welker's knee issues.

He has a long way to go. He is no Wes Welker; at least not now. Just because he is small and white and a slot receiver does not make him another Welker.

His route running is inferior to Welker and he seems easy to cover. I don't know if this is fix-able but I would like to a see a lot more balls to Chris Baker instead of Edelman at least for now.

Why does everyone say things like "Just because he is small and white and a slot receiver does not make him another Welker."?
The very first time I saw that kid play, I thought "Holy Cow, he moves like Welker"..it had NOTHING to do with the fact that he is white, it had to do with his quickness, and cutting ability etc......

I REPEAT, it had NOTHING to do with the fact that he is white, and BTW Welker is 5'9"/185, and Edelman is 6'/198, so you'd be wrong on the 2nd part as well.

Nobody is saying he is EXACTLY, or "As good as" Welker, that would be absurd at this stage of his career, but watching him certainly reminds me of Wes.

Why does everyone say things like "Just because he is small and white and a slot receiver does not make him another Welker."?
The very first time I saw that kid play, I thought "Holy Cow, he moves like Welker"..it had NOTHING to do with the fact that he is white, it had to do with his quickness, and cutting ability etc......

I REPEAT, it had NOTHING to do with the fact that he is white, and BTW Welker is 5'9"/185, and Edelman is 6'/198, so you'd be wrong on the 2nd part as well.

Nobody is saying he is EXACTLY, or "As good as" Welker, that would be absurd at this stage of his career, but watching him certainly reminds me of Wes.

I agree. I thought JE was like WW because of how he plays not how he looks.
If that was the case, why aren't all 6ft4 QBs like TFB?? ;)

He has a long way to go. He is no Wes Welker; at least not now. Just because he is small and white and a slot receiver does not make him another Welker.

His route running is inferior to Welker and he seems easy to cover. I don't know if this is fix-able but I would like to a see a lot more balls to Chris Baker instead of Edelman at least for now.
He's not small;he is white;he's not another Welker. What he is, is a very promising receiver who is getting meaningful playing time on a very good team, despite the fact that he played QB in college. Welker got cut his rookie year, so let's neither declare Edelman a star nor dismiss his performance so far quite yet. In my opinion, he shows significant potential of being a very good player. We'll see.

Well, after only three NFL games, it's hardly a slight to say JE "is no Wes Welker." He's looks fine to me,and JE does 'look' like Welker when he's playing, FredfromDarmouth. Didn't you see that catch and duck move he pulled last week? Right out of WW school of making something happen.

BTW, Edelman is third in rookie receptions and 7th in total rookie yds/game (that's including the QBs). Pretty good start for a guy who never WR before.

Hey, he could still be a starting WR when Welker comes back tomorrow. Imagine: Moss, Welker, Galloway, Edelman. That's a pretty underrated group right there (you know. minus Moss and Welker).

I think Edelman would eventually be better than Welker is.

When Edelman starts catching ~75% of the passes thrown his way, I'll buy that. :)

Pretty bold statement- not saying it can't happen, but expecting it is a pretty tall order (and I'm not even a huge Welker fan compared to a lot of people here)...

What amazes me is that he's picked up the offense better than 13-year vet Galloway. And not only has Edelman NOVER played WR before, he also has to learn kick coverage, punt coverage, kick returner and punt returner responsibilities. I don't know why he can't play safety once in a while!

Exactly... it looks like his work ethic is ****ing insane. To be drafted as a late round QB and get so much PT on a team like the Patriots shows that he has more than talent. Welker made it to where he is by working hard, and it looks like that same fire burns just as brightly in Edelman. I feel safe in expecting great things from this kid.

I think we know by now that BB values work ethic and attitude more than anything else ("Bruschi was the perfect player"), and those same qualities seem to be present in Edelman.

He lacks Welker's route running and hands. Other than that I guess he is OK except for his inability to block.

He lacks Welker's route running and hands. Other than that I guess he is OK except for his inability to block.

Well that's the great thing about him- those things can be worked on and improved. He is still a raw product with sizable potential.

You rock,Joe...(i'll assume this is a sundays-only occurrence :) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back