PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julian Edelman

Status
Not open for further replies.
how can an intelligent Pats fan not like this guy? If Welker or Edelman lose time due to Galloway I will be pissed. I hope Welker's knee is OK.

I am very impressed with his performance so far. He's got a lot of potential. He's no Welker, but he's as close to his clone as the Pats are going to get. I hope he and Welker are activated at the same time, soon. I would love to see what Belichick cooks up when the both of them are on the field together!

The fact the guy can throw a decent ball too makes me think we might cook something very interesting for the Jets next time round with a fit Welker. Might even start doing it in this matchup. You only have to do it once or twice to keep a defence honest.

A few things i noticed about Edelman. He is clearly learning the position because Moss always has to tell him how to set up on the line properly and he drops too many balls. One more negative thing=he is bad as the lead blocker on kr. He would do better if he just ran into somebody full speed like slater does.

Okay for the positives. He seems to always be open and his routes seem much deeper than the usual welker routes.

The fact the guy can throw a decent ball too makes me think we might cook something very interesting for the Jets next time round with a fit Welker. Might even start doing it in this matchup. You only have to do it once or twice to keep a defence honest.

I like that idea too, a variation of the wildcat maybe with Edelman taking a screen pass and then passing? Oh, would that drive defenses crazy.....

If we want to run the wildcat when we have Brady as quarterback, we don't belong in the playoffs. Such panic playcalling is totally unnecessary.

I like that idea too, a variation of the wildcat maybe with Edelman taking a screen pass and then passing? Oh, would that drive defenses crazy.....

If we want to run the wildcat when we have Brady as quarterback, we don't belong in the playoffs. Such panic playcalling is totally unnecessary.

I'm not talking about a wildcat running game. I was talking about using Edelmans ability to throw the ball. I mean if teams come at us with multi blitzes like the Jets did then we need to cook something up to make them back off. I just think that Edelman is so illusive he could be used as an outside extra QB. As I said you only need to do it once or twice and be successful and a defence has to back off.

The wildcat is only good as a gimmick play anyway- when you need a crucial down. When you depend on it to the extend of overusing it, it becomes useless, as the Dolphins are demonstrating, this season.

I am not opposed to it being used by the Patriots every once in a great while just to throw the D off.

Forget the wildcat, I think Edemlan is someone who is going to be contributing here a long time. Never mind his draft position, he has stood out since camp. Already Edelman has been the most impressive Patriots rookie WR since Branch.

Right, not the wildcat, but just like the play I remember from '07 (?) when Moss caught the screen pass, dropped it and threw it downfield. I wouldn't consider an occassional end-around/end-around pass w/ Edelman the Wildcat. It would just add an extra dimension to keep teams honest and could be used to counteract a team like the Jets. After Edelman is comfortable as a WR, I could see us preparing something like this for the playoffs.

Try galloway
If Welker is back this week, I would suspect that Matthews (TE) would be inactive, rather than Edelman. Running against the Ravens will be more difficult, in my opinion, than spreading it out and throwing short. In that scenario, both Welker and Edelman could be on the field at the same time as double slots.

If Welker is back this week, I would suspect that Matthews (TE) would be inactive, rather than Edelman. Running against the Ravens will be more difficult, in my opinion, than spreading it out and throwing short. In that scenario, both Welker and Edelman could be on the field at the same time as double slots.

I don't think you want Matthews inactive.. he is a hard hitting blocker, and we will need him.

For a guy who's never played WR, Edelman is doing an amazing job.
What amazes me is that he's picked up the offense better than 13-year vet Galloway. And not only has Edelman NOVER played WR before, he also has to learn kick coverage, punt coverage, kick returner and punt returner responsibilities. I don't know why he can't play safety once in a while!

I don't think you want Matthews inactive.. he is a hard hitting blocker, and we will need him.

Agreed. We'll be seeing those 3 TE's active a lot, especially if the running game keeps... running.

Probably you deactivate some guy we didn't even know we had, haha.

What amazes me is that he's picked up the offense better than 13-year vet Galloway. And not only has Edelman NOVER played WR before, he also has to learn kick coverage, punt coverage, kick returner and punt returner responsibilities. I don't know why he can't play safety once in a while!

Actually, you should give credit to Kent State HC Doug Martin on two counts:

(1) He saw that Edelman was a player who could play in the NFL, but likely not at QB, so he did everything he could to give Edelman the best possible chance of making a roster. [Edelman was actually a punter, punt returner, and protector while at Kent State.]

(2) He recommended Edelman to his predecessor at Kent State . . . Dean Pees.

This was probably posted before, but read Patriots.com's Meet the Rookies story on Edelman. Here's the money quote from Martin—and remember this was posted in May:

"There's just something about this guy. Anytime you're drafted in the seventh round obviously you're facing some long odds. But I'll say this, he's going to make it awfully hard for someone to get rid of."

Last edited:
One more comparison, BTW:

Here's Mike Leach, HC of Texas Tech, talking about Welker:

The room was packed with football players, young ones with a million questions and veterans with no doubts. It was Texas Tech's first team meeting of 2000, and coach Mike Leach was doing a sociological study. From behind the podium Leach watched his newcomers size one another up -- the walk-ons, the high school track stars and the big-name recruits who once owned the spotlight on Friday nights. Standing in the middle of them all, a head shorter than most, was a freshman receiver from Oklahoma City named Wesley Welker. Leach met his gaze and couldn't help but hold it. "If you've seen that Foghorn Leghorn cartoon, Wes was like the chicken hawk," Leach recalls. "He was shorter than everybody, one of those barrel-chested guys with thick ankles. I was thinking, This fella is pretty sure of himself. He had this steely-eyed stare, this look that said, I can whip all their asses."

Welker, of course, was a starter almost immediately.

Edelman, at Kent State:

Julian Edelman had barely been in pads as a member of the Kent State football team for a day when he walked up to the Golden Flashes starting quarterback and delivered a quick message.

"I'm getting ready to take your job," he said matter-of-factly. A couple of days later, he had Head Coach Doug Martin convinced.

"Julian came in from junior college and didn't even have spring practice to get acclimated," Martin recalled. "He did this in two-a-days in the summer. It wasn't a ****y or arrogant thing; he was just confident. And it didn't take us long to see he was right."

Last edited:
Give him time. He has so much upside. He is even more dangerous w/ Welker in the line up.

really? I figured Welker would get all the snaps and Edelman would be riding pine. Since they play the same position and only 1 guy plays (unless there are secret belichick formations that have not been used yet), I would think his snaps will be inversely related to Wes.

Has Reiss or anyone else reported Edelman sitting in on QB meetings? Is he the de-facto 3rd string?

Has it crossed anyone's mind that he may be a better QB than Hoyer?. I mean, they are both essentially undrafted QBs (remember, Edelman was drafted for the slot not as a QB). All things being equal, with inexperienced QBs, the ones that can scramble and make something happen (when they are confused - which is often) is an asset.

I believe that the Practice Squad scrub is the 3rd QB in practice. As far as taking a couple of snaps if BOTH Brady and Hoyer are unavailable, I think that player is Faulk.

Has Reiss or anyone else reported Edelman sitting in on QB meetings? Is he the de-facto 3rd string?

Has it crossed anyone's mind that he may be a better QB than Hoyer?. I mean, they are both essentially undrafted QBs (remember, Edelman was drafted for the slot not as a QB). All things being equal, with inexperienced QBs, the ones that can scramble and make something happen (when they are confused - which is often) is an asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes