Welcome to PatsFans.com

Judge tosses out ex-spy's lawsuit against Cheney in CIA leak

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Jul 19, 2007.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I can only imagine all the long faces over at NBC

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit by outed spy Valerie Plame Wilson and her husband against Vice President Dick Cheney and other top Bush administration officials.

A judge threw out the lawsuit by ex-spy Valerie Plame Wilson and husband Joseph Wilson.

Plame had accused members of the Bush administration of leaking her identity.

U.S. District Judge John Bates ruled that the lawsuit raises "important questions relating to the propriety of actions undertaken by our highest government officials" -- but in a 41-page decision, Bates found the Wilsons failed to show the case belongs in federal court.

Valerie Wilson's identity as a CIA operative was exposed in July 2003 after her husband, former U.S. ambassador Joseph Wilson, publicly challenged a key argument in the Bush administration's case for the invasion of Iraq.

The exposure led to a criminal probe that led to the conviction in March of Cheney's former chief of staff, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, on charges of perjury, obstruction of justice and lying to federal agents investigating the leak.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/07/19/cia.leak/index.html
  2. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Damn those conservative judges.
  3. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

How'd they get on the bench, anyway??!! Thought ol' Jimmy Caugter and Billy Blythe took care of the all the judgeships for 50 years?!! Don't tell me some slipped through?!!

//
  4. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So does this must mean she wasn't covert?
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

I have no idea. I'm guessing that will depend on who you talk to. The only thing I know is that this thread will be the usual 12 pager with the same 5 people spewing the same old posts back and forth. :D
  6. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Those F$%^#ng, dirty, rotten, Wh^*&ng, scumbagging, SL!t, Bit*hes................

How Fu$%ing dare deny PressCoverage his glory.

I hate AMERICA for this kinda crap.
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

And on and on and on and on and on...
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

who is Valerie Plame? and why did she have a lawsuit against the vice president?

this is strange.
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

Matt "Mouse Face" Lauer and Ann "Whiney" Curry will be up all night practicing their "Sad Faces" in front of the bathroom mirror.

Valerie & Joes big dream about an Academy Award movie being made about them just went up sh!t creek.

In two weeks nobody will even remember their name.
    :bricks:
  10. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

That makes for a damn funny image in my head. Your posts crack me up man.
  11. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

as i said in another post, gloat all you like yellow cakers...

if you thought this Justice Roberts-appointed judge wasn't gonna throw this out, you weren't paying attention... regardless, they'll appeal... far from over...

here's one of her lawyers already:

“While we are obviously very disappointed by today’s decision, we have always expected that this case would ultimately be decided by a higher court. We disagree with the court’s holding and intend to pursue this case vigorously to protect all Americans from vindictive government officials who abuse their power for their own political ends.”​
  12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

There is every indication that this will be appealed, interesting to see how it plays out, never can loose faith in the american justice system.
  13. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

15. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Of course PC, of course. Only liberal judges are valid. What the hell did you think her lawyer would say? Well I guess if her lawyer says it then we should all be satisfied with that. Real blockbuster PC.
  16. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

The same people that won't accept this decision are the same people that are still down in Florida "counting chads"

Bring on your appeal, that is the American Way, let the courts decide, but of course if the courts should again decide to Kick these two glory seekers in the a$s the "Chad Counters" will blame the Court because the Court didn't decide the way they wanted them to.
    (SORE LOSERS)
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  17. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i thought her lawyer would say exactly what she did say, a point i believe i made pretty clear... i knew this judge would toss the civil suit as soon as i read up on him ... anyhow, it's not over... your heroes lied, outed a covert CIA officer on purpose whos husband was exposed those lies, and now the Bushie-appointed judicial system is gonna protect the lying cabal.... you know it, i know it, and the American people know it...
  18. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

here's a bit more on the judge in question... different when it involves the Clintons, we can guess:

Since his tenure on the federal bench began six years ago, Bates's legal opinions and rulings supporting the administration's executive powers stand in stark contrast to his legal work as an assistant US attorney. He worked for Independent Counsel Kenneth Starr prosecuting President Clinton's Whitewater investment deals.

In 1997, Bates successfully argued for the release of thousands of pages of White House documents related to Hillary Clinton's conversations about Whitewater.

In January 2003, Senator Patrick Leahy (D-Vermont), chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, suggested that the judge was a hypocrite by pursuing access to White House documents when Clinton was in office while supporting Cheney's claims of executive privilege in refusing to turn over his energy task force documents to Congress.

"When that guy was working for Ken Starr, he wanted to go open the dresser drawers of the White House," Leahy said. "I guess it's a lot different when it's a Republican vice president."

Since 2001, Judge Bates has been a staunch supporter of the White House's assertion of executive privilege on a wide range of controversial legal challenges by third parties.

Bates, who was appointed by President Bush in 2001, first came to the public's attention in December 2002 when he dismissed a lawsuit filed against Cheney by the Government Accountability Office that sought access to the vice president's energy task force documents.

In that case, Bates threw out the GAO's lawsuit, stating that the GAO lacked the authority to sue the vice president, a ruling that was criticized by the legal community. On Thursday, Bates dismissed the Wilsons' lawsuit for similar reasons.​
  19. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

AH, Judge MASTER Bates a truly IMPARTIAL arbiter of the law,if there ever was one. :rolleyes:
  20. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

and a bit more... you know, ... in case anyone honestly believes justice was served and this guy isn't a judicial enabler for the most corrupt administration of all-time, and stuff:

- In August 2006, Bates “ruled that it was acceptable for the president to sign a bill that had not been passed by Congress.” A clerical error resulted in the President receiving a version of a law approved by only one half of Congress. Bates upheld the law, despite the President being warned of the error before signing the bill. [LINK]

- In December 2002, Bates protected the Bush administration by narrowly dismissing a lawsuit filled by the U.S. Comptroller General David M. Walker against Cheney. Walker “wanted Mr. Cheney to reveal the names of industry executives who helped the administration develop” its energy policy. Bates argued turning the records over to Walker “would hobble an administration’s essential, legitimate ability to receive frank information and advice.” [LINK]

- From September 1995 to March 1997, Bates served as Deputy Independent Counsel to Whitewater investigator Ken Starr. During that time, Bates wanted open access to what Sen. Pat Leahy called, the “dresser drawers of the White House.” At the time, Bates “successfully argued that the White House had to turn over documents related to then-first lady Hillary Clinton.” [LINK]​
    Furthermore, shortly after he was appointed to the FISA court, the Bush administration sought and received approval to continue its domestic spying program.